Old 06-22-2010, 01:48 PM
Dotan Cohen

Default No working GUI

I have installed the 10.10 alpha 1 this morning. Upon install it
booted fine, but after updating the system I cannot get a GUI. When I
boot the Kubuntu logo appears for about 10 seconds, then the screen
goes blank. The desktop never appears (the system is configured to
boot to the desktop without asking for a password, i.e. no KDM
screen). The whole filesystem (including /home) is on a single
partition and the home directory is not encrypted. In this state I can
pull up a virtual terminal and it works fine, but when I run startx I
get the message that X is already running.

Note also that Grub shows both the 2.6.34-4 and 2.6.34-5 kernels, with
the -4 kernel appearing as the first (and default) line. I did not
notice which kernel was installed before updating, but I find it
interesting that the lower version is above the higher version, and is
the default. The state described happens for both the -4 and -5
kernels.

--
Dotan Cohen

http://gibberish.co.il
http://what-is-what.com

Old 06-22-2010, 03:26 PM
Mackenzie Morgan

On Tue, Jun 22, 2010 at 9:48 AM, Dotan Cohen <dotancohen@gmail.com> wrote:
> I have installed the 10.10 alpha 1 this morning. Upon install it
> booted fine, but after updating the system I cannot get a GUI. When I
> boot the Kubuntu logo appears for about 10 seconds, then the screen
> goes blank. The desktop never appears (the system is configured to
> boot to the desktop without asking for a password, i.e. no KDM
> screen). The whole filesystem (including /home) is on a single
> partition and the home directory is not encrypted. In this state I can
> pull up a virtual terminal and it works fine, but when I run startx I
> get the message that X is already running.

Alpha 1 had no desktop for me as well, just very very high load (like
7.something), but the panel plasmoid was there. It was unusable with
that load though. Installing updates made the plasma desktop start
working again. Have you updated since Alpha 1? I gave my VM another
512MiB (to make 1024MiB RAM) and then the load issues subsided.

--
Mackenzie Morgan
apt-get moo

Old 06-22-2010, 06:03 PM
Dotan Cohen

On 22 June 2010 18:26, Mackenzie Morgan <macoafi@gmail.com> wrote:
> Alpha 1 had no desktop for me as well, just very very high load (like
> 7.something), but the panel plasmoid was there. *It was unusable with
> that load though. Installing updates made the plasma desktop start
> working again. *Have you updated since Alpha 1? I gave my VM another
> 512MiB (to make 1024MiB RAM) and then the load issues subsided.

I can confirm that I did not have a desktop for some minutes after
first boot, despite the panels appearing thus indicating that Plasma
was running. But that is a different issue.

The issue of not getting to a desktop happened after updating.

--
Dotan Cohen

http://gibberish.co.il
http://what-is-what.com