-   -   Kapti, an experimentation on package installation/removal, UI (Tres Finocchiaro) (http://www.linux-archive.org/kubuntu-development/382492-kapti-experimentation-package-installation-removal-ui-tres-finocchiaro.html)

Tres Finocchiaro 06-07-2010 03:10 AM

Kapti, an experimentation on package installation/removal, UI (Tres Finocchiaro)

This may sound naive, but are the Software Center's binaries/APIs restricted so much to GTK that QT could not to leverage them?* I'm thinking libpurple-ish thoughts, like how Adium leverages the Pidgin API without using it's GUI.

Since DEB package managers must (must?) leverage apt/aptitude I'd understand if the answer was that all of the code-base is GUI, and the API wouldn't logically exit (and therefor there would be nothing to leverage?).

-Tres

On Sun, Jun 6, 2010 at 2:20 AM, Mackenzie Morgan <macoafi@gmail.com> wrote:

On Sunday, June 06, 2010 2:03:18 am Patrick Dickey wrote:

> On 6/5/2010 6:00 AM, kubuntu-devel-request@lists.ubuntu.com wrote:

> > Re: Kapti, an experimentation on package installation/removal

> > * * * UI (Tres Finocchiaro)

> I guess my take on the subject is why don't we try to incorporate the

> Ubuntu package manager into Kubuntu? *On older versions of Kubuntu,

> KPackageKit wouldn't work properly for me (searching would produce no

> results), so I would have to use Synaptic (which would find anything

> that I searched for).

> I realize that KPackageKit comes from KDE, so it will be installed.

> But, we should work on a KDE version of the Software Center (or install

> the Ubuntu Software Center by default). *This is, of course, assuming

> that the Ubuntu Software Center will allow users to install either

> Gnome- or KDE- based packages.

It will allow that, but I think there'd be problems with the large amount of

space including GTK and GNOME libraries would take on the CD.

--

Mackenzie Morgan

apt-get moo

- Tres.Finocchiaro@gmail.com