Old 06-06-2010, 06:20 AM
Mackenzie Morgan

Default Kapti, an experimentation on package installation/removal, UI (Tres Finocchiaro)

On Sunday, June 06, 2010 2:03:18 am Patrick Dickey wrote:
> On 6/5/2010 6:00 AM, kubuntu-devel-request@lists.ubuntu.com wrote:
> > Re: Kapti, an experimentation on package installation/removal
> >
> > UI (Tres Finocchiaro)
>
> I guess my take on the subject is why don't we try to incorporate the
> Ubuntu package manager into Kubuntu? On older versions of Kubuntu,
> KPackageKit wouldn't work properly for me (searching would produce no
> results), so I would have to use Synaptic (which would find anything
> that I searched for).
>
> I realize that KPackageKit comes from KDE, so it will be installed.
> But, we should work on a KDE version of the Software Center (or install
> the Ubuntu Software Center by default). This is, of course, assuming
> that the Ubuntu Software Center will allow users to install either
> Gnome- or KDE- based packages.

It will allow that, but I think there'd be problems with the large amount of
space including GTK and GNOME libraries would take on the CD.

--
Mackenzie Morgan
apt-get moo

Old 06-07-2010, 03:50 AM
Mackenzie Morgan

On Sunday, June 06, 2010 11:10:37 pm Tres Finocchiaro wrote:
> This may sound naive, but are the Software Center's binaries/APIs
> restricted so much to GTK that QT could not to leverage them? I'm
> thinking
> libpurple-ish thoughts, like how Adium leverages the Pidgin API without
> using it's GUI.
>
> Since DEB package managers must (must?) leverage apt/aptitude I'd
> understand if the answer was that all of the code-base is GUI, and the API
> wouldn't logically exit (and therefor there would be nothing to
> leverage?).

There is libapt. That's what Ubuntu's Update Manager and Software Center use.

--
Mackenzie Morgan
apt-get moo