Old 04-24-2010, 02:52 PM
Hervé Fache

Default cron.yearly

I have some maintenance operation that I want to run very rarely. As all other operations for that subsystem are done using scripts in the cron.weekly, cron.hourly and cron.monthly directories, I found it logical to put that new script in cron.yearly - but this does not exist.

Of course I could create a specific cron job for that script, but I like the higher visibility provided by these ready-made directories, so I think cron.yearly would be a welcome addition.

The /etc/cron.yearly directory needs to be created, and this is the line I added to /etc/crontab:

52 6*** 2 1 *** root*** test -x /usr/sbin/anacron || ( cd / && run-parts --report /etc/cron.yearly )

It is scheduled at the same time as the monthly, but on the next day. Also, I find it safer NOT to schedule long-running jobs (as yearly jobs are likely to be, otherwise it could be run more often) on the first of January as it is a very busy day for many kinds of services (SMS, e-mail, e-cards, ...).

I wish this could be a standard feature in the distribution...
Hervé