Old 04-19-2010, 03:48 PM
Christopher Bertels

Default Kontact Enterprise 3.5 for (K)Ubuntu

Hello all,

I just wanted to inform you, that I've been working on releasing Kontact
Enterprise 3.5 packages for Ubuntu, currently for Ubuntu 9.10 (Karmic Koala).

I've set up a page at the Kolab Wiki here with some additional information
about installation etc.:
https://wiki.kolab.org/index.php/KDE_Kolab_Client/Ubuntu

Please note, that the packages listed there are (daily) snapshots. More tested
versions will go into its own repository later on
(probably to https://files.kolab.org/apt/ubuntu/dists/karmic/).

I'm planning on creating packages for 10.04 (Lucid Lynx) soon as well, once
it's been officially released.

Currently there are both 64 and 32-bit packages available. I'd be very
grateful for any comments and feedback. If you need help, feel free to
contact me.

Cheers,
Christopher Bertels.

--
Christopher Bertels | OpenPGP key: 0x725D9BE5| http://www.intevation.de/

Old 04-19-2010, 05:04 PM
Scott Kitterman

"Christopher Bertels" <christopher.bertels@intevation.de> wrote:

>Hello all,
>
>I just wanted to inform you, that I've been working on releasing Kontact
>Enterprise 3.5 packages for Ubuntu, currently for Ubuntu 9.10 (Karmic Koala).
>
>I've set up a page at the Kolab Wiki here with some additional information
>about installation etc.:
>https://wiki.kolab.org/index.php/KDE_Kolab_Client/Ubuntu
>
>Please note, that the packages listed there are (daily) snapshots. More tested
>versions will go into its own repository later on
>(probably to https://files.kolab.org/apt/ubuntu/dists/karmic/).
>
>I'm planning on creating packages for 10.04 (Lucid Lynx) soon as well, once
>it's been officially released.
>
>Currently there are both 64 and 32-bit packages available. I'd be very
>grateful for any comments and feedback. If you need help, feel free to
>contact me.

Kubuntu has not had a KDE 3 release in roughly two years and does not support it anymore. It would be far more useful to us to have packages based on the same KDE version we ship (4.3/4.4 for 9.10/10.04). At one point with KDE3 we shipped packages from the enterprise branch in the distro. It might be nice to do that again in the future.

Scott K--
kubuntu-devel mailing list
kubuntu-devel@lists.ubuntu.com

Old 04-19-2010, 05:16 PM
Ralph Janke

Scott Kitterman wrote:
> "Christopher Bertels" <christopher.bertels@intevation.de> wrote:
>

>> Hello all,
>>
>> I just wanted to inform you, that I've been working on releasing Kontact
>> Enterprise 3.5 packages for Ubuntu, currently for Ubuntu 9.10 (Karmic Koala).
>>
>> I've set up a page at the Kolab Wiki here with some additional information
>> about installation etc.:
>> https://wiki.kolab.org/index.php/KDE_Kolab_Client/Ubuntu
>>
>> Please note, that the packages listed there are (daily) snapshots. More tested
>> versions will go into its own repository later on
>> (probably to https://files.kolab.org/apt/ubuntu/dists/karmic/).
>>
>> I'm planning on creating packages for 10.04 (Lucid Lynx) soon as well, once
>> it's been officially released.
>>
>> Currently there are both 64 and 32-bit packages available. I'd be very
>> grateful for any comments and feedback. If you need help, feel free to
>> contact me.
>>

> Kubuntu has not had a KDE 3 release in roughly two years and does not support it anymore. It would be far more useful to us to have packages based on the same KDE version we ship (4.3/4.4 for 9.10/10.04). At one point with KDE3 we shipped packages from the enterprise branch in the distro. It might be nice to do that again in the future.
>
> Scott K
+1

Old 04-19-2010, 05:24 PM
Jonathan Riddell

On Mon, Apr 19, 2010 at 01:04:41PM -0400, Scott Kitterman wrote:

> "Christopher Bertels" <christopher.bertels@intevation.de> wrote:
>
> >Hello all,
> >
> >I just wanted to inform you, that I've been working on releasing Kontact
> >Enterprise 3.5 packages for Ubuntu, currently for Ubuntu 9.10 (Karmic Koala).
> >
> >I've set up a page at the Kolab Wiki here with some additional information
> >about installation etc.:
> >https://wiki.kolab.org/index.php/KDE_Kolab_Client/Ubuntu
> >
> >Please note, that the packages listed there are (daily) snapshots. More tested
> >versions will go into its own repository later on
> >(probably to https://files.kolab.org/apt/ubuntu/dists/karmic/).
> >
> >I'm planning on creating packages for 10.04 (Lucid Lynx) soon as well, once
> >it's been officially released.
> >
> >Currently there are both 64 and 32-bit packages available. I'd be very
> >grateful for any comments and feedback. If you need help, feel free to
> >contact me.
> >
> Kubuntu has not had a KDE 3 release in roughly two years and does not support it anymore. It would be far more useful to us to have packages based on the same KDE version we ship (4.3/4.4 for 9.10/10.04). At one point with KDE3 we shipped packages from the enterprise branch in the distro. It might be nice to do that again in the future.

Kontact is the commercially supported client for Kolab and various
companies still support this version for their customers. So this is
a useful addition to the available packages for Kubuntu. Thanks to
Christopher and Intevation for making it happen.

Jonathan

Old 04-22-2010, 11:06 AM
Christopher Bertels

Am Montag 19 April 2010 19:04:41 schrieb Scott Kitterman:
> Kubuntu has not had a KDE 3 release in roughly two years and does not
> support it anymore. It would be far more useful to us to have packages
> based on the same KDE version we ship (4.3/4.4 for 9.10/10.04). At one
> point with KDE3 we shipped packages from the enterprise branch in the
> distro. It might be nice to do that again in the future.

We're currently working on a KDE 4 based version of Kontact (Kontact
Enterprise 5), but it isn't anywhere near the status of Kontact Enterprise
3.5 which is why we decided to release this package first. Once e5 gets
stable and feature-complete, we will release Ubuntu packages for it as well.

Christopher

--
Christopher Bertels | OpenPGP key: 0x725D9BE5| http://www.intevation.de/

Old 04-22-2010, 01:15 PM
Jussi Kekkonen

Hi!

On 22 April 2010 14:06, Christopher Bertels
<christopher.bertels@intevation.de> wrote:
> Am Montag 19 April 2010 19:04:41 schrieb Scott Kitterman:
>> Kubuntu has not had a KDE 3 release in roughly two years and does not
>> support it anymore. It would be far more useful to us to have packages
>> based on the same KDE version we ship (4.3/4.4 for 9.10/10.04). *At one
>> point with KDE3 we shipped packages from the enterprise branch in the
>> distro. It might be nice to do that again in the future.
>
> We're currently working on a KDE 4 based version of Kontact (Kontact
> Enterprise 5), but it isn't anywhere near the status of Kontact Enterprise
> 3.5 which is why we decided to release this package first. Once e5 gets
> stable and feature-complete, we will release Ubuntu packages for it as well.
>
> Christopher
>
> --
> Christopher Bertels | OpenPGP key: 0x725D9BE5| http://www.intevation.de/
> Intevation GmbH, Neuer Graben 17, 49074 Osnabrück | AG Osnabrück, HR B 18998
> Geschäftsführer: Frank Koormann, Bernhard Reiter, Dr. Jan-Oliver Wagner

Indeed this is great stuff, big thanks for working on this packages.

--
Jussi Kekkonen, Tm_T
Ubuntu/KDE developer tmt@ubuntu.com