-   -   Live USB creator (http://www.linux-archive.org/kubuntu-development/353074-live-usb-creator.html)

Sascha Heberger 04-07-2010 12:10 PM

Live USB creator

If using the Live USB Creator in Kubuntu, it's not possible to unmount the
device in any graphical application, because it's not mounted via HAL (and
Kubuntu still uses it). Does somebody know, where to add a umount
command to auto unmount it after the process is finished?
Thanks

"Roderick B. Greening" 04-07-2010 12:30 PM

Live USB creator

This has been fixed in newer versions of usb-creator. What version are you
running and what version of Kubuntu?

The issue was with the back-end process intentionally not releasing the device
(it was a design decision at the time, which has since been changed).

If you simply wish to unmount using the old version, open a konsole after usb-
creator has finished and issue the unmount command specifying the device for
the media used. Preferably, try using a newer version of usb-creator.

Cheers,

Rod.

> If using the Live USB Creator in Kubuntu, it's not possible to unmount the
> device in any graphical application, because it's not mounted via HAL (and
> Kubuntu still uses it). Does somebody know, where to add a umount
> command to auto unmount it after the process is finished?
> Thanks
_______________________________________
Roderick B. Greening, B.Sc.
Paradise, NL Canada
E-mail/MSN: roderick.greening@gmail.com
LP: launchpad.net/~roderick-greening
Wiki: wiki.ubuntu.com/rgreening
Blog: roderick-greening.blogspot.com
Twitter: twitter.com/rgreening
Identica: identi.ca/rgreening

Sascha Heberger 04-07-2010 02:54 PM

Live USB Creator

It's version 0.2.21 On Kubuntu 10.04 Beta 1

"Roderick B. Greening" 04-07-2010 06:47 PM

Live USB Creator

> It's version 0.2.21 On Kubuntu 10.04 Beta 1

I believe the issue you are reporting is that if you open and then close the
creator, it does not release the mount point, and since it was mounted with
UDisks, HAL does not seem to know what to do with it.

If this is correct, please let me know.

There are two issues here:

1) The Solid back-end used in KDE only currently recognizes HAL as a device
back-end. Unfortunately HAL is deprecated, and Solid needs a new back-end that
can deal with things like UDisks (formerly devicekit-disks).

2) Since usb-creator-kde mounted the device, and it is not using it, it may be
reasonable to unmount after closing, or at least offer to unmount it (which is
what I think you are asking).

IMO, the main problem here is Solid, as if Solid had a proper working back-end
for UDisks, then it would not matter that the device was mounted or not, and
the system would properly handle it. However, this is not the case, and maybe
we need to look at a temporary work-around.

Given how late we are in the cycle, I do not see this being fixed directly in
Lucid. Possibly via updates/backports as appropriate...

I will speak to the other devs on this and see what can be done.

For now, if you issue the umount command from konsole, it will release the
drive. It's not ideal, but will work.

Also, please note that this only seems to happen if you do not actually
execute the Make Startup Disk, which does release the drive at the end, as it
assumes you now wish to use it for booting the new system.

If you could, please open a bug report using apport-bug usb-creator-kde from
the command line, and fill out the details. This will allow us to track and
determine how best to address this moving forward.

Thanks,

Rod.