Old 04-07-2010, 11:05 AM
Anthony Mercatante

Default testers needed for plasme-widget-networkmanagement (again)...

Hi,
The latest SVN revision for plasma-widget-networkmanagement has been packaged and is available in the experimental kubuntu repository :https://edge.launchpad.net/~kubuntu-ppa/+archive/experimental

We actually need some feedback to decide it it will go in Lucid or not.
Among the fixes, the plasmoid is now in a separate package and conflicts knetworkmanager. It won't require any kded manual start, and when the package is installed simply reboot (or restart kde) to test the plasmoid.

VPN is supposed to work a lot better than with the current package.
Any feedback is of course welcome !
Anthony Mercatante

Old 04-07-2010, 12:46 PM
Rohan Garg

HiWell im testing out the latest revision and apparently i cant get konsole to do anything remotely related to the internet.Like connecting to the irc or even a update.It seems to work after 5-10 mins of logging in though.I couldnt reproduce it after installing the default nm

RegardsRohan Gargwww.launchpad.net/~rohangarg

Old 04-07-2010, 02:14 PM
koso

Hi,

I am using svn version for a longer time, and have not found any
usability bugs. But there are some related to GUI:

1. after restart, plasmoid shows "all connections", but switch button
shows "show more" ... so first click on this button makes nothing

2. when i click on VPN icon (I hope it is vpn icon .. bottom-left corner
icon), I get empty list as expected. Then I click on "huge back arrow"
and should get again list of my wifi and ethernet connections .. but
this list is empy. Switching "show more, show less" does not help. Also
opening wifi or ethernet interface details does not. In order to fix
this, i must click again on this VPN icon...

3. I dont know how others, but I am experiencing lags when using
plasmoid interface .. when opening interface details with more
connections (wifi) and also when scrolling many (15) connections.

Old 04-07-2010, 04:49 PM
Cedric Brandenbourger

On 04/07/2010 04:14 PM, koso wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am using svn version for a longer time, and have not found any
> usability bugs. But there are some related to GUI:
>
> 1. after restart, plasmoid shows "all connections", but switch button
> shows "show more" ... so first click on this button makes nothing
>
> 2. when i click on VPN icon (I hope it is vpn icon .. bottom-left corner
> icon), I get empty list as expected. Then I click on "huge back arrow"
> and should get again list of my wifi and ethernet connections .. but
> this list is empy. Switching "show more, show less" does not help. Also
> opening wifi or ethernet interface details does not. In order to fix
> this, i must click again on this VPN icon...
>
> 3. I dont know how others, but I am experiencing lags when using
> plasmoid interface .. when opening interface details with more
> connections (wifi) and also when scrolling many (15) connections.

Works perfect for me, can confirm koso's issues.

Cédric Brandenbourger

Old 04-08-2010, 01:35 AM
Clay Weber

On Wednesday 07 April 2010 07:05:24 am Anthony Mercatante wrote:
> Hi,
>
> The latest SVN revision for plasma-widget-networkmanagement has been
> packaged and is available in the experimental kubuntu repository :
> https://edge.launchpad.net/~kubuntu-ppa/+archive/experimental
>
> We actually need some feedback to decide it it will go in Lucid or not.
>
> Among the fixes, the plasmoid is now in a separate package and conflicts
> knetworkmanager. It won't require any kded manual start, and when the
> package is installed simply reboot (or restart kde) to test the plasmoid.
>
> VPN is supposed to work a lot better than w.ith the current package.
>
> Any feedback is of course welcome !
>
> Anthony Mercatante

So far working perfectly for me. For some reason I can see more wifi
hotspots using this, which is nice. I have had no issues, other than the
unlabeled vpn icon, which I don't use but the icon does not provide any user
feedback on what it is for

clay

Old 04-08-2010, 10:23 AM
Sebastian Kügler

Hi,

Thanks for the feedback so far.

On Thursday 08 April 2010 03:35:54 Clay Weber wrote:
> So far working perfectly for me. For some reason I can see more wifi
> hotspots using this, which is nice. I have had no issues, other than the
> unlabeled vpn icon, which I don't use but the icon does not provide any
> user feedback on what it is for

It should only show up if you have a VPN connection configured, or if it's buggy.
Can you send me a screenshot so I can judge?
--
sebas

Old 04-08-2010, 03:07 PM
Rohan Garg

Hi*I tested out the manager,please checkout the 2 screenshots in the links below,youll automatically get the problem :*
http://imagebin.ca/view/BuO88P.html : Wired Networks not shown

http://imagebin.ca/view/xhnoKJ.html : Wired Networks shownwww.launchpad.net/~rohangarg

Old 04-10-2010, 09:41 AM
Zorael

I've been using it for a few weeks now and it seems to be working
fine. I had some initial issues with the network management kded
module not being autostarted on demand, but that seems to have been
resolved.

1. Wireless network list cannot be updated (i.e. rescanned) on demand.
I often find myself closing and restarting plasma-desktop just to get
new networks to show up.
1a. The list of available wireless networks is very finicky and can
sometimes be completely empty even though I'm connected to one.
2. Lack of feedback. I have it set up to connect to a VPN service (via
PPTP), and when that connection fails to establish or when it goes
down there is no message displayed to alert me (and tell me the
reason). Likewise if I lose connection to a wireless network, or if I
unplug a wired cable.
3. No way to renew IP. Is that a NetworkManager limitation?
4. The highlight borders around the disconnecting "X" buttons next to
interfaces are misaligned.
5. I liked the old (wireless) icon more than the new .svgz one. :<
Also, the old icon is still used in the tooltip.
6. Highlighting of the main buttons (Show more/less and Manage
connections) is weird. It highlights the last clicked option /as well/
as the one you mouseover. So if I click Manage connections, that
button will henceforth be highlit until such time I click Show
more/less. It resets itself if you minimize the popup by clicking the
tray icon, but not if you minimize it by shifting window focus.
Buttons need only be highlit upon mouseover, no?
7. Are right-click context menus (on wireless networks, for instance)
impossible to implement in a plasma widget? It could do with some
tooltips across the board (for wireless networks, connections,
interfaces). Could show wireless channel, VPN gateway address, et al.
8. The widget seems like it can be resized by dragging the opposite
corner (upper-left if widget is placed in the lower-right of the
screen), but nothing happens. The cursor erroneously changes to
suggest it can be.
9. The interface details view (accessible by clicking an interface)
could use some fleshing out. :>
10. This likely doesn't fall under the juristiction of the widget, but
there's still no way to define specific routes to take effect when
connecting to a VPN. At the very least there should be an option to
let it assume the default route, but even more fine-grained control
would be lovely. There's a bug report filed for this.

I see the plasma-widget-networkmanagement-pptp (and similar) packages
have been removed. Just for clarification, precisely what packages do
you need to install now to get support for the various VPN protocols?

JR