-   -   Kubuntu has no integration of XDG directories in file manager. (http://www.linux-archive.org/kubuntu-development/345556-kubuntu-has-no-integration-xdg-directories-file-manager.html)

Pan Shi Zhu 03-23-2010 02:28 AM

Kubuntu has no integration of XDG directories in file manager.

Kubuntu will be default create several xdg directories in $HOME, the
details are in ~/.config/user-dirs.dirs

name of directory depends on locale.

$ cat .config/user-dirs.dirs
# This file is written by xdg-user-dirs-update
# If you want to change or add directories, just edit the line you're
# interested in. All local changes will be retained on the next run
# Format is XDG_xxx_DIR="$HOME/yyy", where yyy is a shell-escaped
# homedir-relative path, or XDG_xxx_DIR="/yyy", where /yyy is an
# absolute path. No other format is supported.
#
XDG_DESKTOP_DIR="$HOME/desktop"
XDG_DOWNLOAD_DIR="$HOME/share"
XDG_TEMPLATES_DIR="$HOME/temp"
XDG_PUBLICSHARE_DIR="$HOME/pub"
XDG_DOCUMENTS_DIR="$HOME/doc"
XDG_MUSIC_DIR="$HOME/music"
XDG_PICTURES_DIR="$HOME/pic"
XDG_VIDEOS_DIR="$HOME/video"

This is just a sample, an ubuntu installation create these directories
by default, so we should make use of it.

Ubuntu create shortcuts for those directories in file manager, Like
ubuntu, we could create shortcuts in Dolphin and give them correct
icons.

Or, if we really do not want that, we should remove those directories.

Any idea?

Richard JOHNSON 03-23-2010 04:46 AM

Kubuntu has no integration of XDG directories in file manager.

On Tue, Mar 23, 2010 at 11:28:58AM +0800, Pan Shi Zhu wrote:
[...]
> Ubuntu create shortcuts for those directories in file manager, Like
> ubuntu, we could create shortcuts in Dolphin and give them correct
> icons.
>
> Or, if we really do not want that, we should remove those directories.
>
> Any idea?

I think this is a good idea and should be filed as a wishlist bug for
Lucid+1. This is something we shouldn't even look at right now except for
research purposes, especially since we are in a UI freeze, and string
freeze is in 2 days.

--
Name| Richard JOHNSON
Title| Developer
WWW| http://www.ubuntu.com
Email| nixternal@ubuntu.com
GnuPG| 3578 0981 A21D D662 2A96 7623 F4C1 838C D8C4 4738

Harald Sitter 03-23-2010 07:59 AM

Kubuntu has no integration of XDG directories in file manager.

Exactly what is the ratinale for those folders getting to be shortcuts?

Just some thoughts on this.
- dolphin uses home as starting point
- home is already a shortcut
- we do not actively use downloads, share or templates
- linking to desktop is redundant with it being on the desktop already
- should be done upstream
- translations might be super long, either not fitting the list at all or
makign it shrink quite a bit
- we do not use icons for those folders, which makes it pretty much impossible
to implement this change altogether ... yet again -> should be done upstream

Additionally I personally think that this would just clutter the default
dolphin. Imagie the first use experience here. You open dolphin and see loads
of duplication. That hardly can be a good thing.
Also, adding those dirs makes the places list feel a lot more busy, I have got
about the same amount of dirs and the other day a bingdows friend of mine was
rather confused at what this thingy might be.

Even this ought to be implemented upstream I sure hope Peter implements some
visual difference between user created links, default directory links and
device links (considering I did not forget about any category here :))

--
Harald Sitter
Kubuntu Core Developer

Pan Shi Zhu 03-23-2010 12:57 PM

On Tue, Mar 23, 2010 at 4:59 PM, Harald Sitter <apachelogger@ubuntu.com> wrote:
> Exactly what is the ratinale for those folders getting to be shortcuts?

The rationale is consistency.

Those directories are created by kubuntu installer, so we should make
use of them and create shortcut in dolphin.

If we leave user an empty home without any directories (like most
other distributions do), then it is okay to leave dolphin as default.
This can be an option: just remove those directories in installer.

It really is no point to create those directories while kubuntu do not
make any shortcut to use them.

Yuriy Kozlov 03-23-2010 02:13 PM

On Mon, Mar 22, 2010 at 11:28 PM, Pan Shi Zhu <pan.shizhu@gmail.com> wrote:
> Kubuntu will be default create several xdg directories in $HOME, the
> details are in ~/.config/user-dirs.dirs
>
> name of directory depends on locale.
>
> $ cat .config/user-dirs.dirs
> # This file is written by xdg-user-dirs-update
> # If you want to change or add directories, just edit the line you're
> # interested in. All local changes will be retained on the next run
> # Format is XDG_xxx_DIR="$HOME/yyy", where yyy is a shell-escaped
> # homedir-relative path, or XDG_xxx_DIR="/yyy", where /yyy is an
> # absolute path. No other format is supported.
> #
> XDG_DESKTOP_DIR="$HOME/desktop"
> XDG_DOWNLOAD_DIR="$HOME/share"
> XDG_TEMPLATES_DIR="$HOME/temp"
> XDG_PUBLICSHARE_DIR="$HOME/pub"
> XDG_DOCUMENTS_DIR="$HOME/doc"
> XDG_MUSIC_DIR="$HOME/music"
> XDG_PICTURES_DIR="$HOME/pic"
> XDG_VIDEOS_DIR="$HOME/video"
>

> This is just a sample, an ubuntu installation create these directories
> by default, so we should make use of it.
>
> Ubuntu create shortcuts for those directories in file manager, Like
> ubuntu, we could create shortcuts in Dolphin and give them correct
> icons.
>
> Or, if we really do not want that, we should remove those directories.
>
> Any idea?

First of all, this is for Lucid+1. If you want to help organize the
idea, please start writing up a spec on the wiki, but now is the time
to concentrate on Lucid.

I've thought for a while doing something with these directories would
be nice. I don't think adding shortcuts to the places panel in
dolphin is the way to go though, that's rather redundant.

The directories can be used by default though. For example, Amarok
should look for the music collection in Music (I think maybe it
already does this). Digikam should default to a photo collection in
Pictures instead of using a first run wizard.

The directories should also have appropriate icons which already exist
in Oxygen. This would just involve shipping a .directory file right?

~ Yuriy

Mackenzie Morgan 03-23-2010 03:42 PM

On Tuesday 23 March 2010 11:13:50 am Yuriy Kozlov wrote:
> The directories can be used by default though. For example, Amarok
> should look for the music collection in Music (I think maybe it
> already does this).

That was committed yesterday or the day before, I think.

--
Mackenzie Morgan
apt-get moo

Harald Sitter 03-23-2010 09:46 PM

Am Dienstag, 23. März 2010 14:57:46 schrieb Pan Shi Zhu:
> On Tue, Mar 23, 2010 at 4:59 PM, Harald Sitter <apachelogger@ubuntu.com>
wrote:
> > Exactly what is the ratinale for those folders getting to be shortcuts?
>
> The rationale is consistency.

Consistency of what? I do not see any association between default created
directories in the user's home and random links the user can place in a
sidebar.

Unless the places links are meant to duplicate the home directory?
Because then Trash, network, root and mountable drives are in fact acting
against the consistency and should be removed from there. Which again boils
down to the fact that I think the only sensible implementation of this would
involve splitting the places up into categories. Such as mountable drives,
default places, user places.

regards
--
Harald Sitter
Kubuntu Core Developer

Pan Shi Zhu 03-23-2010 11:56 PM

On Wed, Mar 24, 2010 at 6:46 AM, Harald Sitter <apachelogger@ubuntu.com> wrote:
> Am Dienstag, 23. März 2010 14:57:46 schrieb Pan Shi Zhu:
>> On Tue, Mar 23, 2010 at 4:59 PM, Harald Sitter <apachelogger@ubuntu.com>
> wrote:
>> > Exactly what is the ratinale for those folders getting to be shortcuts?
>>
>> The rationale is consistency.
>
> Consistency of what? I do not see any association between default created
> directories in the user's home and random links the user can place in a
> sidebar.
>
> Unless the places links are meant to duplicate the home directory?

This is a duplicate only if you don't have anything else in your home,
if you got more than 200 directories in $HOME, spot those 5
directories from a single directory isn't an easy job.

But the fact is: if we don't make good use of those directories,
average user will tend to put everything in $HOME, and then those xdg
directories get useless since there isn't any shortcut and it is hard
to find a single directory from 200+ directories.

I setup kubuntu environments for 20+ average users and they had been
using it for 3 years, so this is what I see as a system administrator.
Providing shortcut in dolphin means we "recommend" using them instead
of putting everything in $HOME.

Mackenzie Morgan 03-24-2010 12:09 AM

On Tuesday 23 March 2010 8:56:20 pm Pan Shi Zhu wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 24, 2010 at 6:46 AM, Harald Sitter <apachelogger@ubuntu.com>
wrote:
> > Am Dienstag, 23. März 2010 14:57:46 schrieb Pan Shi Zhu:

> >> The rationale is consistency.
> >
> > Consistency of what? I do not see any association between default created
> > directories in the user's home and random links the user can place in a
> > sidebar.
> >
> > Unless the places links are meant to duplicate the home directory?
>
> This is a duplicate only if you don't have anything else in your home,
> if you got more than 200 directories in $HOME, spot those 5
> directories from a single directory isn't an easy job.
>
> But the fact is: if we don't make good use of those directories,
> average user will tend to put everything in $HOME, and then those xdg
> directories get useless since there isn't any shortcut and it is hard
> to find a single directory from 200+ directories.
>
> I setup kubuntu environments for 20+ average users and they had been
> using it for 3 years, so this is what I see as a system administrator.
> Providing shortcut in dolphin means we "recommend" using them instead
> of putting everything in $HOME.

It's also consistent for people switching from other desktop environments.
Ubuntu's Nautilus has them shortcutted. Windows Explorer has My Documents, My
Music, and My Pictures shortcutted. OSX does the same in their file manager
thing (name is escaping me). Users switching to Kubuntu from other
environments would likely be very comfortable with "my file manager makes it
easy for me to get to major categories of files."

--
Mackenzie Morgan
apt-get moo

Richard JOHNSON 03-24-2010 05:11 AM

Kubuntu has no integration of XDG directories in file manager.

On Wed, Mar 24, 2010 at 08:56:20AM +0800, Pan Shi Zhu wrote:
[...]
> This is a duplicate only if you don't have anything else in your home,
> if you got more than 200 directories in $HOME, spot those 5
> directories from a single directory isn't an easy job.

+1. This is not an issue for me since I use the cli to browse and manage
files, but it was brought to my attention this weekend after people seeing
Dolphin on the projector. They were wondering how I knew what was where
easily since I have probably 50 folders in there.

--
Name| Richard JOHNSON
Title| Developer