Old 03-24-2010, 07:26 AM
Harald Sitter

Default Kubuntu has no integration of XDG directories in file manager.

Am Mittwoch, 24. März 2010 07:11:59 schrieb Richard JOHNSON:
> On Wed, Mar 24, 2010 at 08:56:20AM +0800, Pan Shi Zhu wrote:
> [...]
>
> > This is a duplicate only if you don't have anything else in your home,
> > if you got more than 200 directories in $HOME, spot those 5
> > directories from a single directory isn't an easy job.
>
> +1. This is not an issue for me since I use the cli to browse and manage
> files, but it was brought to my attention this weekend after people seeing
> Dolphin on the projector. They were wondering how I knew what was where
> easily since I have probably 50 folders in there.

That is bad management then :P

But oh well. If it helps with consistency across operating systems, so be it.
But this has to be implemented upstream at KDE and not downstream in Kubuntu.

So this request should really be directed at bugs.kde.org

--
Harald Sitter
Kubuntu Core Developer

Old 03-24-2010, 08:01 AM
Pan Shi Zhu

> So this request should really be directed at bugs.kde.org

Only Kubuntu create those directories in user home, other
distributions doesn't even have those directories. How could this be
in upstream?

Old 03-24-2010, 09:51 AM
Harald Sitter

Am Mittwoch, 24. März 2010 10:01:15 schrieb Pan Shi Zhu:
> > So this request should really be directed at bugs.kde.org
>
> Only Kubuntu create those directories in user home, other
> distributions doesn't even have those directories. How could this be
> in upstream?

Because XDG is upstream to KDE, KDE implements XDG, that is why Digkam will
default to search in the XDG user path for pictures, same goes for Amarok. If
you try saving a file in KOffice or Kate you will get the documents path as
preset path...

And the statement that other distros do not have those directories is simply
wrong, because the underlying specification originiated within redhat so I am
quite sure that at the very least fedora does have those dirs too.

--
Harald Sitter
Kubuntu Core Developer