Old 03-25-2010, 03:12 PM
Mackenzie Morgan

Default updated Netbook to Lucid -- NetworkManager is disabled

On Thursday 25 March 2010 5:43:18 am Sebastian Kügler wrote:
> On Wednesday 24 March 2010 22:46:33 Mackenzie Morgan wrote:
> > On Wednesday 24 March 2010 2:52:25 pm Daniel Chen wrote:
> > >
> > > Please file a regression-potential tagged bug against linux so that we
> > > can fix it.
> >
> > Sorry, bad phrasing. The wireless adapter itself goes back to working
> > after reboot, but because NetworkManager ignores that NM was disabled by
> > the rfkill being pressed and just assumes it's globally disabled, the
> > result (to an end user who doesn't know to use ifup) is like it stays
> > disabled across reboots.
>
> Hm, you mean that network manager doesn't pick up you're wifi adapter being
> available again? Can you reproduce the same with GNOME's nm-applet and
> maybe the Plasmoid? I've been testing the hotplugging and rfkilling pretty
> extensively, and it works just fine here.

Yeah, I'll have to do a bit more testing, but the boot where it suddenly had
"enabled=false" was the one immediately after I'd rfkill'd* so I was
hypothesizing that upon rfkill hitting, it wrote that "false" to the file.
Could also just be a coincidence.

* I didn't bring rf back on before shutting down because, well... that has
never worked on this laptop. Reboot's always how I've done it.

--
Mackenzie Morgan
apt-get moo

Old 03-26-2010, 12:17 PM
Sebastian Kügler

On Thursday 25 March 2010 17:12:52 Mackenzie Morgan wrote:
> On Thursday 25 March 2010 5:43:18 am Sebastian Kügler wrote:

> > > Sorry, bad phrasing. The wireless adapter itself goes back to working
> > > after reboot, but because NetworkManager ignores that NM was disabled
> > > by the rfkill being pressed and just assumes it's globally disabled,
> > > the result (to an end user who doesn't know to use ifup) is like it
> > > stays disabled across reboots.
> >
> > Hm, you mean that network manager doesn't pick up you're wifi adapter
> > being available again? Can you reproduce the same with GNOME's nm-applet
> > and maybe the Plasmoid? I've been testing the hotplugging and rfkilling
> > pretty extensively, and it works just fine here.
>
> Yeah, I'll have to do a bit more testing, but the boot where it suddenly
> had "enabled=false" was the one immediately after I'd rfkill'd* so I was
> hypothesizing that upon rfkill hitting, it wrote that "false" to the file.
> Could also just be a coincidence.

Okay, let me know if you think that it's a knetworkmanager problem, and I'll have a
closer look.

> * I didn't bring rf back on before shutting down because, well... that has
> never worked on this laptop. Reboot's always how I've done it.

Instead of rebooting, it's often good enough to unload the wifi driver and reload it
(modprobe -r, modprobe). There are situation where NetworkManager's internal state is
so messed up that only rebooting helps, though.
--
sebas

Old 03-26-2010, 09:10 PM
sambu toki

I just want to mention that I am having this same problem in Debian Unstable w/ KDE 4.3.4 and KNW (as well as Lucid).* The fix for me was to simply modify NetworkManager.state manually to set NetworkingEnabled=true .* No problems since then (yet).* This happened immediately after updating my system yesterday (in Debian).* Maybe just a minor bug in the way NetworkManager.state gets reconfigured?

Sambu

On Monday 22 March 2010 11:04:47 pm Divan Santana wrote:

> On Monday 22 March 2010 20:44:16 Mackenzie Morgan wrote:

> > I have the same problem, and yes, network-manager is running. *At least,

> > it's *running enough for me to be able to stop it and for iwconfig to not

> > work til I do so!

> Me too, Here was the fix for me.

> sudo service network-manager stop

> cd */var/lib/NetworkManager/

> sudo rm NetworkManager.state

> sudo service network-manager start

Somehow

NetworkingEnabled=false

was false instead of true in there, yeah. *I suspect on mine it's because I

hit the rfkill button. *Rebooting should reset the rfkill button (it used to)

but it appears not to.

So after doing what you said I am left with KNM only offering "create new

wireless network" and not displaying available networks at all (no, the option

to choose a different network is not there).

--

Mackenzie Morgan

apt-get moo