Old 03-17-2010, 10:40 AM
Jonathan Riddell

Default Kubuntu beta 1 candiadate images need testing

Beta time is coming and we need testers for the candidate images as
well as upgrading from karmic. Please join us in #kubuntu-devel to
help and report results on
http://iso.qa.ubuntu.com/qatracker/build/kubuntu/all

Jonathan

Old 03-18-2010, 01:27 AM
Pan Shi Zhu

I test upgraded in karmic with the following:

sudo do-release-upgrade -d

and it seems that the application stopped responding forever.

has everything syncronized to all mirrors?

PS: isn't the upgrade suppose to work for both karmic=>lucid and
8.04=>10.04? then there should be a new test there in iso tracker.

Old 03-18-2010, 01:43 AM
Jonathan Riddell

On 18 March 2010 02:27, Pan Shi Zhu <pan.shizhu@gmail.com> wrote:
> I test upgraded in karmic with the following:
>
> sudo do-release-upgrade -d

Correct upgrade method is sudo update-notifier-kde -d

> and it seems that the application stopped responding forever.

That's not a very useful report without knowing what application,
where it stopped and what's in the logs.

> has everything syncronized to all mirrors?

This isn't a very meaningful question here.

> PS: isn't the upgrade suppose to work for both karmic=>lucid and
> 8.04=>10.04? then there should be a new test there in iso tracker.

Upgrades from hardy are not supported.

Jonathan

Old 03-18-2010, 05:36 AM
Mackenzie Morgan

On Wednesday 17 March 2010 10:43:16 pm Jonathan Riddell wrote:
> On 18 March 2010 02:27, Pan Shi Zhu <pan.shizhu@gmail.com> wrote:
> > I test upgraded in karmic with the following:
> >
> > sudo do-release-upgrade -d
>
> Correct upgrade method is sudo update-notifier-kde -d

do-release-upgrade is just the command line version of that. I think you're
thinking of the not-totally-supported change-sources.list-and-"apt-get dist-
upgrade" method

--
Mackenzie Morgan
apt-get moo

Old 03-18-2010, 07:37 AM
Pan Shi Zhu

On Thu, Mar 18, 2010 at 2:36 PM, Mackenzie Morgan <macoafi@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wednesday 17 March 2010 10:43:16 pm Jonathan Riddell wrote:
>> On 18 March 2010 02:27, Pan Shi Zhu <pan.shizhu@gmail.com> wrote:
>> > I test upgraded in karmic with the following:
>> >
>> > sudo do-release-upgrade -d
>>
>> Correct upgrade method is *sudo update-notifier-kde -d
>
> do-release-upgrade is just the command line version of that. *I think you're
> thinking of the not-totally-supported change-sources.list-and-"apt-get dist-
> upgrade" method

well, the do-release-upgrade works after a long time (more than half
an hour, I think)... I upgraded my karmic into lucid without any
problem.

There're some pretty minor problem:

1. karmic's default wallpaper is "Air", while lucid has the default
"Ethais" (I guess so). The default wallpaper does not change
automatically after upgrade. I have to manually change the wallpaper.

Expected behavior: if user has the wallpaper "Air", change it to
Ethais, if user had changed to something else, then don't touch it.

2. In karmic, I had disabled Nepomuk and Strigi in system settings,
but in Lucid it is enabled again, I had to manually disable it again.

Expected behavior: if user has settings in karmic, keep the setting in lucid.

Well, these may or may not be bugs.

Old 03-18-2010, 08:30 AM
Wesley Schwengle

Jonathan Riddell wrote:

>> PS: isn't the upgrade suppose to work for both karmic=>lucid and
>> 8.04=>10.04? then there should be a new test there in iso tracker.
>
> Upgrades from hardy are not supported.

Are you serious? I know Hardy was not LTS for the Kubuntu-devs, but this
only involves the kubuntu-desktop packages (and other KDE related
packages). The base system is the same as Xubuntu, Ubuntu, etc. Why
should Kubuntu users upgrade to 9.10 from 8.04 and then to 10.04? On my
Hardy box I only have "normal", "never" and "lts" options for upgrading,
there is no "kde" option.

Some Kubuntu users will not have received the message that 8.04 is not
LTS for Kubuntu. I would expect that those users get the possibility to
upgrade from 8.04 to 10.04. Or are you advising Hardy users which run
KDE to remove the kubuntu-desktop package and then upgrade, and
reinstall the Kubuntu-desktop package again?

For example, I have several -desktop packages installed,
(kubuntu/ubuntu/xubuntu), with your LTS exception, how would I need to
upgrade from Hardy, which is still LTS according to lsb_release -a.

Cheers,
Wesley

Old 03-18-2010, 08:44 AM
Mackenzie Morgan

On Thursday 18 March 2010 5:30:55 am Wesley Schwengle wrote:
> Jonathan Riddell wrote:
> >> PS: isn't the upgrade suppose to work for both karmic=>lucid and
> >> 8.04=>10.04? then there should be a new test there in iso tracker.
> >
> > Upgrades from hardy are not supported.
>
> Are you serious? I know Hardy was not LTS for the Kubuntu-devs, but this
> only involves the kubuntu-desktop packages (and other KDE related
> packages). The base system is the same as Xubuntu, Ubuntu, etc. Why
> should Kubuntu users upgrade to 9.10 from 8.04 and then to 10.04? On my
> Hardy box I only have "normal", "never" and "lts" options for upgrading,
> there is no "kde" option.

Without having tried it, I'd guess that KDE4 users would be mostly OK. It's
the people using KDE3 that would have trouble, because the transitional
packages to automatically move them from KDE3 versions of programs to KDE4
versions may not be there.

Of course, there's still the possibility that 8.04 had versions of software
that used different formats to hold their data. Transitioning all their data
to current formats sounds nightmarish. Just upgrading Kontact to the Akonadi-
using version in Lucid is turning out to be not-100%-smooth. And you want
this to happen for *every* program that stores data?

--
Mackenzie Morgan
apt-get moo

Old 03-18-2010, 09:23 AM
Scott Kitterman

"Wesley Schwengle" <wesley@schwengle.net> wrote:

>Jonathan Riddell wrote:
>
>>> PS: isn't the upgrade suppose to work for both karmic=>lucid and
>>> 8.04=>10.04? then there should be a new test there in iso tracker.
>>
>> Upgrades from hardy are not supported.
>
>Are you serious? I know Hardy was not LTS for the Kubuntu-devs, but this
>only involves the kubuntu-desktop packages (and other KDE related
>packages). The base system is the same as Xubuntu, Ubuntu, etc. Why
>should Kubuntu users upgrade to 9.10 from 8.04 and then to 10.04? On my
>Hardy box I only have "normal", "never" and "lts" options for upgrading,
>there is no "kde" option.
>
>Some Kubuntu users will not have received the message that 8.04 is not
>LTS for Kubuntu. I would expect that those users get the possibility to
>upgrade from 8.04 to 10.04. Or are you advising Hardy users which run
>KDE to remove the kubuntu-desktop package and then upgrade, and
>reinstall the Kubuntu-desktop package again?
>
>For example, I have several -desktop packages installed,
>(kubuntu/ubuntu/xubuntu), with your LTS exception, how would I need to
>upgrade from Hardy, which is still LTS according to lsb_release -a.

Not officially supported is not the same as we don't care if it works. We do want it to work for these exact reasons. It's just more of a best effort thing than a core supported use case. I think the main impact is that Hardy -> Lucid upgrades in Kubuntu won't be in the official documentation.

Scott K--
kubuntu-devel mailing list
kubuntu-devel@lists.ubuntu.com

Old 03-18-2010, 09:25 AM
Wesley Schwengle

Mackenzie Morgan wrote:

> Without having tried it, I'd guess that KDE4 users would be mostly OK. It's
> the people using KDE3 that would have trouble, because the transitional
> packages to automatically move them from KDE3 versions of programs to KDE4
> versions may not be there.

Hardy comes with KDE3. I haven't checked if there are backports for KDE4
available in Hardy.

> Of course, there's still the possibility that 8.04 had versions of software
> that used different formats to hold their data. Transitioning all their data
> to current formats sounds nightmarish. Just upgrading Kontact to the Akonadi-
> using version in Lucid is turning out to be not-100%-smooth. And you want
> this to happen for *every* program that stores data?

It has been done with 8.04 to 9.10, I don't see a reason why this cannot
be done for 8.04 to 10.04.

From a user experience point of view:
I knew about the non-LTS status of Hardy during the Karmic development
period, I was suprised when I read it. Now, if I decided not to upgrade
to Karmic, because of $issue, and I'm waiting for Lucid I suddenly lose
the ability to upgrade? And that for an LTS release (nowhere on the
normal Ubuntu documentation the non-LTS status of Kubuntu is mentioned).

I cannot find the exception on:

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Releases
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Kubuntu
http://www.ubuntu.com/products/ubuntu/release-cycle

I think this descision adds confusing amongst users, and the switch to
KDE4 has already made an impact on users, please don't add more negative
feelings..

Cheers,
Wesley

Old 03-18-2010, 09:31 AM
Wesley Schwengle

> Not officially supported is not the same as we don't care if it
> works. We do want it to work for these exact reasons. It's just more
> of a best effort thing than a core supported use case. I think the
> main impact is that Hardy -> Lucid upgrades in Kubuntu won't be in
> the official documentation.

OK, clear.

Cheers,
Wesley