Old 03-08-2010, 10:14 PM
Jonathan Riddell

Default testers needed for plasma-widget-networkmanagement

Currently we use the monolithic knetworkmanager. Upstream tells me
that the plasmoid is now in a better shape than knetworkmanager and
advises us to switch to it. If we are to switch we should do so
before Beta 1 next week and with lots of testing. So testers needed
using the following procedure.

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:kubuntu-ppa/experimental
apt-get update
apt-get install plasma-widget-networkmanagement
apt-get remove network-manager-kde
killall knetworkmanager
sleep 3
qdbus org.kde.kded /kded org.kde.kded.loadModule networkmanagement
right click on the system tray -> System tray settings -> plasma
widgets -> tick network management

You should now be able to use the plasmoid to connect to the network
and reply to this e-mail telling us how you got on.

Thanks in advance

Jonathan

Old 03-09-2010, 12:25 AM
David Wondelry ~DarkwingDuck~

On 03/08/2010 03:14 PM, Jonathan Riddell wrote:
> Currently we use the monolithic knetworkmanager. Upstream tells me
> that the plasmoid is now in a better shape than knetworkmanager and
> advises us to switch to it. If we are to switch we should do so
> before Beta 1 next week and with lots of testing. So testers needed
> using the following procedure.
>
> sudo add-apt-repository ppa:kubuntu-ppa/experimental
> apt-get update
> apt-get install plasma-widget-networkmanagement
> apt-get remove network-manager-kde
> killall knetworkmanager
> sleep 3
> qdbus org.kde.kded /kded org.kde.kded.loadModule networkmanagement
> right click on the system tray -> System tray settings -> plasma
> widgets -> tick network management
>
> You should now be able to use the plasmoid to connect to the network
> and reply to this e-mail telling us how you got on.
>
> Thanks in advance
>
> Jonathan

Works great. just ensure that you are not root or use sudo for the
qdbus. It remembered all the settings and auto connected. I have had no
issues. I'll update if any issues come up.

DW

Old 03-09-2010, 01:08 AM
Roman Shtylman

I had to unlock widgets before I could even tick network management.

Then after I unlocked... ticking it didn't do anything. When I hit ok
and open the dialog to see if it was ticked... it wasn't.

~Roman

Old 03-09-2010, 01:12 AM

On 03/08/2010 06:08 PM, Roman Shtylman wrote:
> I had to unlock widgets before I could even tick network management.
>
> Then after I unlocked... ticking it didn't do anything. When I hit ok
> and open the dialog to see if it was ticked... it wasn't.
>
> ~Roman
>
> On Mon, Mar 8, 2010 at 8:25 PM, David Wondelry ~DarkwingDuck~
> <ubuntu@darkwingduck.org> wrote:
>
>> On 03/08/2010 03:14 PM, Jonathan Riddell wrote:
>>
>>> Currently we use the monolithic knetworkmanager. Upstream tells me
>>> that the plasmoid is now in a better shape than knetworkmanager and
>>> advises us to switch to it. If we are to switch we should do so
>>> before Beta 1 next week and with lots of testing. So testers needed
>>> using the following procedure.
>>>
>>> sudo add-apt-repository ppa:kubuntu-ppa/experimental
>>> apt-get update
>>> apt-get install plasma-widget-networkmanagement
>>> apt-get remove network-manager-kde
>>> killall knetworkmanager
>>> sleep 3
>>> qdbus org.kde.kded /kded org.kde.kded.loadModule networkmanagement
>>> right click on the system tray -> System tray settings -> plasma
>>> widgets -> tick network management
>>>
>>> You should now be able to use the plasmoid to connect to the network
>>> and reply to this e-mail telling us how you got on.
>>>
>>> Thanks in advance
>>>
>>> Jonathan
>>>

>> Works great. just ensure that you are not root or use sudo for the
>> qdbus. It remembered all the settings and auto connected. I have had no
>> issues. I'll update if any issues come up.
>>
>> DW
>>
>> --

Let me further say that I am testing on Lucid Netbook. I don't know if
the KNR makes a diff but, I don't think it does.

DW

Old 03-09-2010, 01:45 AM
Roman Shtylman

Well... it took an update and a reboot, but I finally see it in the system
tray. Unfortunately for some reason it does not pick up my wireless network

The old one did...but other than that... the interface seems about the same..
has a few rough spots.. but really no worse than before.

~Roman

Old 03-09-2010, 07:21 AM
Nils Kassube

Jonathan Riddell wrote:
> sudo add-apt-repository ppa:kubuntu-ppa/experimental
> apt-get update
> apt-get install plasma-widget-networkmanagement
> apt-get remove network-manager-kde

I had to remove wicd. Shouldn't the network-manager-kde and / or plasma-
widget-networkmanagement packages be in conflict with the wicd packages?

> killall knetworkmanager
> sleep 3
> qdbus org.kde.kded /kded org.kde.kded.loadModule networkmanagement
> right click on the system tray -> System tray settings -> plasma
> widgets -> tick network management
>
> You should now be able to use the plasmoid to connect to the network
> and reply to this e-mail telling us how you got on.

Only wired works.

When I hover over the plasmoid it says "Wireless 802.11 UNKNOWN STATE
FIX ME". I left clicked the plasmoid and then "Manage Connections" and
the scan button doesn't see any of the two networks available, which can
be seen with "sudo iwlist wlan0 scan". If I try to enter the network
data manually it doesn't let me use WPA2. That was on the AMD64 system
BTW. Wireless apadter is Atheros AR5001 chip set with the ath5k driver.

With the i386 version on the same machine I can see my wireless network
and I can enter the WPA2 passphrase but it doesn't connect.

Nils

Old 03-09-2010, 12:48 PM
Sebastian Kügler

On Tuesday 09 March 2010 03:45:48 Roman Shtylman wrote:
> Well... it took an update and a reboot, but I finally see it in the system
> tray. Unfortunately for some reason it does not pick up my wireless network

Can you check with nm-applet if NetworkManager finds your network? If that fails,
please try "sudo iwlist <yournetworkinterface> scan".

nm-applet is a lower level tool, which queries NetworkManager, iwlist is even lower
level.
--
sebas

Old 03-09-2010, 12:59 PM
Sebastian Kügler

On Tuesday 09 March 2010 09:21:17 Nils Kassube wrote:
> Jonathan Riddell wrote:
> > sudo add-apt-repository ppa:kubuntu-ppa/experimental
> > apt-get update
> > apt-get install plasma-widget-networkmanagement
> > apt-get remove network-manager-kde
>
> I had to remove wicd. Shouldn't the network-manager-kde and / or plasma-
> widget-networkmanagement packages be in conflict with the wicd packages?
>
> > killall knetworkmanager
> > sleep 3
> > qdbus org.kde.kded /kded org.kde.kded.loadModule networkmanagement
> > right click on the system tray -> System tray settings -> plasma
> > widgets -> tick network management
> >
> > You should now be able to use the plasmoid to connect to the network
> > and reply to this e-mail telling us how you got on.
>
> Only wired works.

Can you make sure the networkmanagement module is loaded into kded?
( qdbus org.kde.kded /kded org.kde.kded.loadModule networkmanagement )

To be sure, pull up "kcmshell4 kcmkded" and check if there is "EXPERIMENTAL
NetworkManager User Settings Service" among the Load-on-Demand services, and that
it's running.

> When I hover over the plasmoid it says "Wireless 802.11 UNKNOWN STATE
> FIX ME".

The usefulness of big, ugly error messages I assume this one's in the tooltip and
you don't see it on the Plasmoid's popup?

> I left clicked the plasmoid and then "Manage Connections" and
> the scan button doesn't see any of the two networks available, which can
> be seen with "sudo iwlist wlan0 scan". If I try to enter the network
> data manually it doesn't let me use WPA2. That was on the AMD64 system
> BTW. Wireless apadter is Atheros AR5001 chip set with the ath5k driver.

Can you also check "nm-tool"?

> With the i386 version on the same machine I can see my wireless network
> and I can enter the WPA2 passphrase but it doesn't connect.

Sounds strange (but that's what testing is for ).
--
sebas

Old 03-09-2010, 01:00 PM
Sebastian Kügler

On Tuesday 09 March 2010 14:48:37 Sebastian Kügler wrote:
> On Tuesday 09 March 2010 03:45:48 Roman Shtylman wrote:
> > Well... it took an update and a reboot, but I finally see it in the
> > system tray. Unfortunately for some reason it does not pick up my
> > wireless network
> >

> Can you check with nm-applet if NetworkManager finds your network? If that
> fails, please try "sudo iwlist <yournetworkinterface> scan".
>
> nm-applet is a lower level tool, which queries NetworkManager, iwlist is
> even lower level.

Gnn. s/nm-applet/nm-tool
--
sebas

Old 03-09-2010, 01:08 PM
Sebastian Kügler

On Tuesday 09 March 2010 14:59:50 Sebastian Kügler wrote:
> > Only wired works.
>
> Can you make sure the networkmanagement module is loaded into kded?
> ( qdbus org.kde.kded /kded org.kde.kded.loadModule networkmanagement )

Has to return true.

I just installed the packages Jonathan points to on another machine, and I'm unable
to load the kded module. Apparently, the kded module is not being installed by the
package.
--
sebas