Old 02-21-2010, 02:11 PM
Harald Sitter

Default drkonqi + installdbgsymbols branch

just a quick heads up

https://code.edge.launchpad.net/~kubuntu-members/+junk/drkonqi-dbg

i have started writing in ruby, but just because my bash is not very good and
it's easier to mess around in ruby IMHO

the final should either be sh/bash or cpp

also see
https://bugs.edge.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/kdebase-runtime/+bug/514557
--
Harald Sitter
Kubuntu Core Developer

Old 02-22-2010, 10:01 AM
Harald Sitter

On Sunday 21 February 2010 04:11:30 pm Harald Sitter wrote:
> the final should either be sh/bash or cpp

After having thought about this quite a bit, I would indeed say that c++ is
the best option here, for obvious c++ advantages:
a) no silly runtime bugs
b) easier to pull dialogs
c) easier to pull custom dialogs
d) as result of the former we can provide more information in an easier manner
(e.g. details button in some dialog that could be around for quite some time,
depending on how much is to lookup)
e) unlike sh scripts it is easy to make l10nable
f) doesn't need to load an interpreter vm

So what I would create is:
kde-installdbgsymbols featuring:
* a primary UI with progress bar + details button + details widget, showing a
log of what is going on
* capabilities to add special repos to the sources.list and remove them once
done again (possibly this could be done via a directory rather than editing
the sources.list?)
* a dbg-package resolver that can use dpkg-query + apt-cache OR apt-file

I suppose, if kept generic enough we could share this beasty with debian.

opinions?
--
Harald Sitter
Kubuntu Core Developer