-   -   update-notifier-kde in lucid (http://www.linux-archive.org/kubuntu-development/329609-update-notifier-kde-lucid.html)

Harald Sitter 02-21-2010 11:09 AM

update-notifier-kde in lucid

Howdy!

I just noticed that lucid still includes the update-notifier-kde, but at the
same time features it's C++ based replacement kubuntu-notification-helper. So I
am wondering why we still need unk, did just no one bother to remove it yet,
or is there some real usecase that knh does not yet support?

On a related note: earlier today I uploaded a new packagekit version that
enables dist-upgrade and notification capabilities in lucid.
--
Harald Sitter
Kubuntu Core Developer

Jonathan Thomas 02-21-2010 01:25 PM

On Sun 21 Feb 2010 07:09:59 am Harald Sitter wrote:
> Howdy!
>
> I just noticed that lucid still includes the update-notifier-kde,
but at
> the same time features it's C++ based replacement
> kubuntu-notification-helper. So I am wondering why we still need
unk, did
> just no one bother to remove it yet, or is there some real
usecase that
> knh does not yet support?

Nobody has bothered to remove it yet. KNH does everything that UNK
did, except for the package updates/distro upgrade features that
PackageKit handles for us.

> On a related note: earlier today I uploaded a new packagekit
version that
> enables dist-upgrade and notification capabilities in lucid.

Neat. :) If for some reason this doesn't pan out, KNH does have a
distribution upgrade feature that isn't currently built, so I
think we're fairly safe here.

Harald Sitter 02-21-2010 01:57 PM

On Sunday 21 February 2010 03:25:58 pm Jonathan Thomas wrote:
> Nobody has bothered to remove it yet. KNH does everything that UNK
> did, except for the package updates/distro upgrade features that
> PackageKit handles for us.

Ok, I'll grab my laser screwdriver ;)

> Neat. :) If for some reason this doesn't pan out, KNH does have a
> distribution upgrade feature that isn't currently built, so I
> think we're fairly safe here.

Should work just fine, though I tried it on karmic quite some time ago with
patched up kpk and pk. I'll prepare a test cases as soon as I get to it
though.
--
Harald Sitter
Kubuntu Core Developer

Harald Sitter 02-22-2010 10:09 AM

On Sunday 21 February 2010 03:57:28 pm Harald Sitter wrote:
> On Sunday 21 February 2010 03:25:58 pm Jonathan Thomas wrote:
> > Nobody has bothered to remove it yet. KNH does everything that UNK
> > did, except for the package updates/distro upgrade features that
> > PackageKit handles for us.
>
> Ok, I'll grab my laser screwdriver ;)

Jonathan introduced a transitional package and the other Jonathan removed the
source package from the archives :)

So long update-notifier-kde, was nice knowing you!

--
Harald Sitter
Kubuntu Core Developer