Old 02-18-2010, 10:00 AM
Jonathan Riddell

Default plasma upgrade script

Plasma in 4.4 has the ability to include some plasmoids in the
systray. Our default config is now made with the new Plasma scripting
interface and adds battery, device notifier and message indicator to
the systray.

http://bazaar.launchpad.net/~kubuntu-members/kubuntu-default-settings/ubuntu/annotate/head%3A/share/apps/plasma-desktop/init/kubuntu-default-setup.js

For upgrades I think we should move these plasma widgets from the
panel into the systray. I wrote a script to do so

http://bazaar.launchpad.net/~kubuntu-members/kubuntu-default-settings/ubuntu/annotate/head%3A/share/apps/plasma-desktop/updates/kubuntu-10.04.js

Harald was sceptical about us messing with users' Plasma setup. I
think the script is pretty sensible and conservative but I'd like
more feedback on whether it seems like a sensible thing to do as well
as testing reports when installing kubuntu-default-settings
10.04ubuntu5 and restarting Plasma.

Jonathan

Old 02-18-2010, 12:34 PM
Lydia Pintscher

Something is wrong with our current script I think. I and a few others
had a second panel added on upgrade from 4.3.x on Karmic. It is easy
to remove but quite ugly.
It seems to only happen on Kubuntu.

Cheers
Lydia

--
Lydia Pintscher
Amarok community manager

Old 02-18-2010, 04:15 PM
Tomasz Czapiewski

On Thu, 18 Feb 2010, Lydia Pintscher wrote:

> Something is wrong with our current script I think. I and a few others
> had a second panel added on upgrade from 4.3.x on Karmic. It is easy
> to remove but quite ugly.
> It seems to only happen on Kubuntu.
>

> Cheers
> Lydia

Yes, I've had the same behaviour before on two PCs when I've upgraded from
KDE
4.3.x to 4.4 beta (one machine - i386) and 4.4rc1 (on second machine -
amd64)
- both from kubuntu-ppa/beta repository. I haven't reported it before as
it's
been beta... and I thought it's known problem.

Today I've done upgrade from KDE 4.3.2 on my friends computer to KDE 4.4
(final) from kubuntu-ppa/backports and the problem still exists there.
After upgrade:
- two panels (one on each other),
- two folder view applets (one on each other, too),
- few plasma applets are broken (facebook gives error (even after remove
applet and add once again), photo frame on the desktop after upgrade got
hidden (invisible but working somewhere - I've had logs with image
changing in
~/.xsession-errors) and it eats ~100% CPU for few seconds every image
change -
it's impossible to even remove it - I had to manually edit
~/.kde/share/config/plasma-desktop-appletsrc to remove it).

Every machine upgraded is running Kubuntu Karmic.

Tom

Old 02-18-2010, 04:18 PM
Mackenzie Morgan

On Thursday 18 February 2010 8:34:13 am Lydia Pintscher wrote:
> Something is wrong with our current script I think. I and a few others
> had a second panel added on upgrade from 4.3.x on Karmic. It is easy
> to remove but quite ugly.
> It seems to only happen on Kubuntu.

Ditto. Riddell, you saw it on mine, when I couldn't figure out what was
keeping my windows from the edge of the screen.

--
Mackenzie Morgan
apt-get moo

Old 02-20-2010, 04:29 PM
Harald Sitter

On Thu, Feb 18, 2010 at 2:34 PM, Lydia Pintscher <lydia@kde.org> wrote:
> Something is wrong with our current script I think. I and a few others
> had a second panel added on upgrade from 4.3.x on Karmic. It is easy
> to remove but quite ugly.
> It seems to only happen on Kubuntu.

That is unrelated from this script. Indeed it is what the new
architecture should prevent (i.e. I suspect this is caused by our
patching, and on a side note I also was against that :P)

Old 02-20-2010, 06:25 PM
Harald Sitter

On Thursday 18 February 2010 12:00:40 Jonathan Riddell wrote:
> For upgrades I think we should move these plasma widgets from the
> panel into the systray. I wrote a script to do so

I looked at this earlier and I think there is a beauty issue to it... the
script should IMHO only move existing applets to the tray. Say the user
removed (for whatever reason) the battery applet from his primary panel, then
the update script should not re-add it embedded into the tray (the user could
have removed it because he actually placed it on another panel, located at the
top of the screen, or on another screen altogether).

So, I think if we decide to keep the script around, we should at least change
the process a bit. I propose the following
a) move the actual adding to tray to an own function
b) enhance said function with removing a widget, so that the function in fact
does *move* the widget from somewhere on the panel, into the systray
c) iterate over the widgets on the panel and set appropriate vars if systray
and the to-be-moved-applets if found
d) if systray is found -> switch through all possible to-be-moved-applet-vars
and call the move function if necessary

This way we should get cleaner code and only move stuff to the tray that is
already there on the panel somewhere. Possibly we could also forget about
making it a function and find some nifty way of getting out of this without too
much hassle (function of course looks better, then again I have yet to read on
about functions in ecmascript )

Another question that just occurred to me: what happens if the user already
added an applet manually to the tray?

And another one: what if the user added an applet to the tray but it is still
present independent from the tray? (on that part I would like to note that the
indicator applet exhibits non-standard behavior in that it is not removable
via simple right click, which is a bad thing altogether from my POV)

--
Harald Sitter
Kubuntu Core Developer