Old 02-12-2010, 02:47 PM
Celeste Lyn Paul

Default No indicator message in Message Indicator

2010/2/12 Aurélien Gâteau <aurelien.gateau@canonical.com>:
> Hi,
>
> I have been working a bit on the Message Indicator (MI) Plasma applet
> lately.
>
> I changed its behavior a bit: the applet is no longer disabled when no
> MI-enabled application is running. Instead, clicking on it show a

Remind me again why it is visible if there are no MI-enabled
applications running? Can it be hidden/invisible until an application
is running?

> sliding message explaining what it is. Right now the message looks like
> this:
>
> http://imagebin.ca/view/X3oUTG5J.html
>
> What do you think about it? (please point out any typo!)
>
> What I dislike is that it links to the Kubuntu wiki. This is problematic
> for translations, and it may give the impression that the MI is a
> Kubuntu-only tool whereas we would like other distributions to adopt it
> (after all, some upstream applications have already started to include
> MI support).
>
> I can see three options:
> 1. Simply remove the link.
> 2. Write this documentation on userbase.kde.org.
> 3. Write this documentation as classic application documentation.
>
> What do you think?
>
> Aurélien

Celeste Lyn Paul
KDE Usability Project
KDE e.V. Board of Directors
www.kde.org

Old 02-12-2010, 03:06 PM
Celeste Lyn Paul

2010/2/12 Aurélien Gâteau <aurelien.gateau@canonical.com>:
> Celeste Lyn Paul wrote:
>> 2010/2/12 Aurélien Gâteau <aurelien.gateau@canonical.com>:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I have been working a bit on the Message Indicator (MI) Plasma applet
>>> lately.
>>>
>>> I changed its behavior a bit: the applet is no longer disabled when no
>>> MI-enabled application is running. Instead, clicking on it show a
>>
>> Remind me again why it is visible if there are no MI-enabled
>> applications running? Can it be hidden/invisible until an application
>> is running?
>
> Because if it's invisible it's going to be odd when you add the widget
> to a panel (or to the desktop) and it just disappear. It would also make
> it hard to remove it if you can't see it.

Application icons in the status bar appear and disappear all the time,
I don't think that is weird. I think of the MI as a service, and if it
isn't applicable then it shouldn't be there (to be fair, I feel the
same way about the KDE notifications indicator as well. I don't think
it should be visible if you don't have any current messages or
messages in the queue).

However, moving and removing it on the panel is an issue. Do you know
if you could make the widget visible only in edit mode? The
visualization might be tricky to get across the widget is there, just
invisible. Maybe desaturated icon? Hmm.

> This is mitigated by the fact that one can now embed applets in the
> systemtray applet, but if you want to run the MI outside of the
> systemtray it is still a problem.
>
> Aurélien

Celeste Lyn Paul
KDE Usability Project
KDE e.V. Board of Directors
www.kde.org

Old 02-12-2010, 03:42 PM
Mackenzie Morgan

On Friday 12 February 2010 11:06:18 am Celeste Lyn Paul wrote:
> However, moving and removing it on the panel is an issue. Do you know
> if you could make the widget visible only in edit mode? The
> visualization might be tricky to get across the widget is there, just
> invisible. Maybe desaturated icon? Hmm.

Spacer widgets show in edit mode as a darker rectangle, so I'm sure edit mode
can show things differently than normal.

--
Mackenzie Morgan
apt-get moo

Old 02-15-2010, 03:08 PM
Sebastian Kügler

On Monday 15 February 2010 16:44:01 Aurélien Gâteau wrote:
> Aurélien Gâteau wrote:
> > Celeste Lyn Paul wrote:
> >> Application icons in the status bar appear and disappear all the time,
> >> I don't think that is weird. I think of the MI as a service, and if it
> >> isn't applicable then it shouldn't be there (to be fair, I feel the
> >> same way about the KDE notifications indicator as well. I don't think
> >> it should be visible if you don't have any current messages or
> >> messages in the queue).
> >
> > Hehe, just disable notifications and job handling in the systemtray and
> > it goes away
> >
> >> However, moving and removing it on the panel is an issue. Do you know
> >> if you could make the widget visible only in edit mode? The
> >> visualization might be tricky to get across the widget is there, just
> >> invisible. Maybe desaturated icon? Hmm.
> >
> > That's a good idea. I'll give it a try tomorrow. Will also look at the
> > spacer widget, as suggested by Mackenzie.
>
> Today I had a look at the spacer widget, and didn't notice any
> difference in the rendering between normal and edit mode :/. Doesn't
> mean it can't be done, though, I need to check with the plasma devs.
>
> I found an interesting feature of Plasma applets though: when an applet
> is embedded in the systemtray, it can set a "status", similar to what
> applications can do with KStatusNotifierItem items. When an applet sets
> its status to passive, it is not visible in the systemtray unless one
> clicks on the "expand" arrow.

If you put
X-Plasma-NotificationArea=true

into the .desktop file of the applet, you will also be able to enable and disable the
applet from the systemtray configuration (since 4.4).

From the systray config, the default setting to show/hide it is auto, you can choose
per applet if it should be always shown, or never or automatically (the desired
behaviour you're describing above).

> I implemented this here, setting the applet status to Passive if no M-I
> application is running, Active if there is at least one M-I application
> running, and NeedsAttention when a M-I application requests attention.
>
> Since I am getting short in time, I am thinking of just removing the
> "url" part of my message panel, so that the applet is not Kubuntu
> specific. As long as the applet is embedded in the systemtray, users
> will get the autohiding feature.
>
> What do you think?

Putting it in the systray sounds like a sane approach IMO.
--
sebas