Linux Archive

Linux Archive (http://www.linux-archive.org/)
-   Kubuntu Development (http://www.linux-archive.org/kubuntu-development/)
-   -   Kubuntu on launchpad? (http://www.linux-archive.org/kubuntu-development/321612-kubuntu-launchpad.html)

"Corey O'Connor" 02-06-2010 04:53 AM

Kubuntu on launchpad?
 
I tried out the latest RC for KDE and was BLOWN AWAY how awesome it
was! Seriously! Good stuff!

I did notice some rough edges [1]. Given that I know C++ and have
plenty of time on my hand I was eager to contribute. I figured I could
sign onto launchpad ; branch the kdebase repository ; and I'd be set
up to contribute with all the goodness launchpad provides. Only I
can't figure something out: *where* is the kdebase, or any KDE
project, repository on launchpad? Or is launchpad only used for bug
tracking and package distribution?

With projects like groundcontrol [2] making contribution to Ubuntu a
breeze I was really hoping for Kubuntu to be integrated into
launchpad. However I can't find the repositories on launchpad. Am I
missing something? Should I stick to kdesvn-build and submit patches
the old-school way? The old-school way makes me less excited to
contribute :-(

Cheers,
Corey O\'Connor

1. https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=198030
2. https://launchpad.net/groundcontrol

--
kubuntu-devel mailing list
kubuntu-devel@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-devel

Mackenzie Morgan 02-06-2010 05:28 AM

Kubuntu on launchpad?
 
On Saturday 06 February 2010 12:53:48 am Corey O\'Connor wrote:
> I tried out the latest RC for KDE and was BLOWN AWAY how awesome it
> was! Seriously! Good stuff!
>
> I did notice some rough edges [1]. Given that I know C++ and have
> plenty of time on my hand I was eager to contribute. I figured I could
> sign onto launchpad ; branch the kdebase repository ; and I\'d be set
> up to contribute with all the goodness launchpad provides. Only I
> can\'t figure something out: *where* is the kdebase, or any KDE
> project, repository on launchpad? Or is launchpad only used for bug
> tracking and package distribution?

bzr branch lp:~kubuntu-members/kdebase/ubuntu

--
Mackenzie Morgan
http://ubuntulinuxtipstricks.blogspot.com
apt-get moo

--
kubuntu-devel mailing list
kubuntu-devel@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-devel

Mackenzie Morgan 02-06-2010 06:46 AM

Kubuntu on launchpad?
 
On Saturday 06 February 2010 12:53:48 am Corey O\'Connor wrote:
> I tried out the latest RC for KDE and was BLOWN AWAY how awesome it
> was! Seriously! Good stuff!
>
> I did notice some rough edges [1]. Given that I know C++ and have
> plenty of time on my hand I was eager to contribute. I figured I could
> sign onto launchpad ; branch the kdebase repository ; and I\'d be set
> up to contribute with all the goodness launchpad provides. Only I
> can\'t figure something out: *where* is the kdebase, or any KDE
> project, repository on launchpad? Or is launchpad only used for bug
> tracking and package distribution?

Apparently the kdebase import is just plain broken right now. In most cases,
you\'d do:
bzr branch lp:ubuntu/lucid/sourcepackage
so like:
bzr branch lp:ubuntu/lucid/kdepim

--
Mackenzie Morgan
http://ubuntulinuxtipstricks.blogspot.com
apt-get moo

--
kubuntu-devel mailing list
kubuntu-devel@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-devel

"Scott Kitterman" 02-06-2010 05:10 PM

Kubuntu on launchpad?
 
> On Saturday 06 February 2010 12:53:48 am Corey O\'Connor wrote:
>> I tried out the latest RC for KDE and was BLOWN AWAY how awesome it
>> was! Seriously! Good stuff!
>>
>> I did notice some rough edges [1]. Given that I know C++ and have
>> plenty of time on my hand I was eager to contribute. I figured I could
>> sign onto launchpad ; branch the kdebase repository ; and I\'d be set
>> up to contribute with all the goodness launchpad provides. Only I
>> can\'t figure something out: *where* is the kdebase, or any KDE
>> project, repository on launchpad? Or is launchpad only used for bug
>> tracking and package distribution?
>
> Apparently the kdebase import is just plain broken right now. In most
> cases,
> you\'d do:
> bzr branch lp:ubuntu/lucid/sourcepackage
> so like:
> bzr branch lp:ubuntu/lucid/kdepim
>
I explained how to find the various kdebase* packages in KDE svn to the
people dealing with getting the imports working, I guess they didn\'t get
to it yet.

Scott K

--
kubuntu-devel mailing list
kubuntu-devel@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-devel

Jonathan Jesse 02-06-2010 06:52 PM

Kubuntu on launchpad?
 
On Sat, Feb 6, 2010 at 12:53 AM, Corey O\'Connor <coreyoconnor@gmail.com> wrote:

I tried out the latest RC for KDE and was BLOWN AWAY how awesome it

was! Seriously! Good stuff!



I did notice some rough edges [1]. Given that I know C++ and have

plenty of time on my hand I was eager to contribute. I figured I could

sign onto launchpad ; branch the kdebase repository ; and I\'d be set

up to contribute with all the goodness launchpad provides. Only I

can\'t figure something out: *where* is the kdebase, or any KDE

project, repository on launchpad? Or is launchpad only used for bug

tracking and package distribution?



With projects like groundcontrol [2] making contribution to Ubuntu a

breeze I was really hoping for Kubuntu to be integrated into

launchpad. However I can\'t find the repositories on launchpad. Am I

missing something? Should I stick to kdesvn-build and submit patches

the old-school way? The old-school way makes me less excited to

contribute :-(



Cheers,

Corey O\'Connor



1. https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=198030

2. https://launchpad.net/groundcontrol



--

kubuntu-devel mailing list

kubuntu-devel@lists.ubuntu.com

Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-devel


I posted this on Jono\'s blog as well. *It looks like more and more is *going GNOME only on the Ubuntu developer end. *Ground Control and Project would be great for Kubuntu and might help newbies contribue and help deal with the flood of bugs we have
--
kubuntu-devel mailing list
kubuntu-devel@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-devel

Mackenzie Morgan 02-06-2010 07:10 PM

Kubuntu on launchpad?
 
On Saturday 06 February 2010 1:10:28 pm Scott Kitterman wrote:
> > On Saturday 06 February 2010 12:53:48 am Corey O\'Connor wrote:
> >> I tried out the latest RC for KDE and was BLOWN AWAY how awesome it
> >> was! Seriously! Good stuff!
> >>
> >> I did notice some rough edges [1]. Given that I know C++ and have
> >> plenty of time on my hand I was eager to contribute. I figured I could
> >> sign onto launchpad ; branch the kdebase repository ; and I\'d be set
> >> up to contribute with all the goodness launchpad provides. Only I
> >> can\'t figure something out: *where* is the kdebase, or any KDE
> >> project, repository on launchpad? Or is launchpad only used for bug
> >> tracking and package distribution?
> >
> > Apparently the kdebase import is just plain broken right now. In most
> > cases,
> > you\'d do:
> > bzr branch lp:ubuntu/lucid/sourcepackage
> > so like:
> > bzr branch lp:ubuntu/lucid/kdepim
>
> I explained how to find the various kdebase* packages in KDE svn to the
> people dealing with getting the imports working, I guess they didn\'t get
> to it yet.

I thought at this point anything that wasn\'t imported was in that state
because they tried it, and it failed.

--
Mackenzie Morgan
http://ubuntulinuxtipstricks.blogspot.com
apt-get moo

--
kubuntu-devel mailing list
kubuntu-devel@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-devel

Mackenzie Morgan 02-06-2010 07:12 PM

Kubuntu on launchpad?
 
On Saturday 06 February 2010 2:52:48 pm Jonathan Jesse wrote:
> I posted this on Jono\'s blog as well. It looks like more and more is
> going GNOME only on the Ubuntu developer end. Ground Control and Project
> would be great for Kubuntu and might help newbies contribue and help deal
> with the flood of bugs we have

And Lernid? Jono told Rich that having a KDE version of Lernid would just
confuse users so don\'t release one...after Rich had it written and working.

--
Mackenzie Morgan
http://ubuntulinuxtipstricks.blogspot.com
apt-get moo

--
kubuntu-devel mailing list
kubuntu-devel@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-devel

Scott Kitterman 02-07-2010 12:41 AM

Kubuntu on launchpad?
 
On Saturday 06 February 2010 03:10:54 pm Mackenzie Morgan wrote:
> On Saturday 06 February 2010 1:10:28 pm Scott Kitterman wrote:
> > > On Saturday 06 February 2010 12:53:48 am Corey O\'Connor wrote:
> > >> I tried out the latest RC for KDE and was BLOWN AWAY how awesome it
> > >> was! Seriously! Good stuff!
> > >>
> > >> I did notice some rough edges [1]. Given that I know C++ and have
> > >> plenty of time on my hand I was eager to contribute. I figured I could
> > >> sign onto launchpad ; branch the kdebase repository ; and I\'d be set
> > >> up to contribute with all the goodness launchpad provides. Only I
> > >> can\'t figure something out: *where* is the kdebase, or any KDE
> > >> project, repository on launchpad? Or is launchpad only used for bug
> > >> tracking and package distribution?
> > >
> > > Apparently the kdebase import is just plain broken right now. In most
> > > cases,
> > > you\'d do:
> > > bzr branch lp:ubuntu/lucid/sourcepackage
> > > so like:
> > > bzr branch lp:ubuntu/lucid/kdepim
> >
> > I explained how to find the various kdebase* packages in KDE svn to the
> > people dealing with getting the imports working, I guess they didn\'t get
> > to it yet.
>
> I thought at this point anything that wasn\'t imported was in that state
> because they tried it, and it failed.

Up until recently all of KDE was a failed import. Now we\'re down to some
subset of it. I haven\'t looked exactly what.

Scott K

--
kubuntu-devel mailing list
kubuntu-devel@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-devel

"Corey O\'Connor" 02-08-2010 04:05 AM

Kubuntu on launchpad?
 
On Fri, Feb 5, 2010 at 11:46 PM, Mackenzie Morgan <macoafi@gmail.com> wrote:
> Apparently the kdebase import is just plain broken right now. *In most cases,
> you\'d do:
> bzr branch lp:ubuntu/lucid/sourcepackage
> so like:
> bzr branch lp:ubuntu/lucid/kdepim

Thanks!

The lp:~kubuntu-members/kdebase/ubuntu files appear to be a combination of:
1. debian packaging files
2. A delta from the main kdebase source tree in the form of a set of
patches managed by quilt

This is nice for distribution but is not so nice for development. I\'d
prefer my development work to involve three launchpad bzr
repositories:
A. An import of the mainline kdebase svn tree
B. A branch of A with the Kubuntu patches applied.
C. A branch of B which I would use for development.

I think A is what you are referring to when you are talking about the
broken kdebase import?
https://code.launchpad.net/~vcs-imports/kdebase/trunk

Sounds like everybody is in agreement that we should get this fixed.

Cheers,
Corey O\'Connor

> --
> Mackenzie Morgan
> http://ubuntulinuxtipstricks.blogspot.com
> apt-get moo
>
> --
> kubuntu-devel mailing list
> kubuntu-devel@lists.ubuntu.com
> Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-devel
>

--
kubuntu-devel mailing list
kubuntu-devel@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-devel

"Corey O\'Connor" 02-08-2010 04:07 AM

Kubuntu on launchpad?
 
On Sat, Feb 6, 2010 at 12:12 PM, Mackenzie Morgan <macoafi@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Saturday 06 February 2010 2:52:48 pm Jonathan Jesse wrote:
>> I posted this on Jono\'s blog as well. *It looks like more and more is
>> *going GNOME only on the Ubuntu developer end. *Ground Control and Project
>> *would be great for Kubuntu and might help newbies contribue and help deal
>> *with the flood of bugs we have
>
> And Lernid? *Jono told Rich that having a KDE version of Lernid would just
> confuse users so don\'t release one...after Rich had it written and working.

I am ignorant of Lernid. Any links?

As for Ground Control and Project I would imagine they could be
partitioned into a GUI frontend and then a backend that integrates
with the launchpad as a web service? I\'m probably missing something,
but if not then hopefully the backend can be shared between GNOME and
KDE.

Cheers,
Corey O\'Connor

--
kubuntu-devel mailing list
kubuntu-devel@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-devel


All times are GMT. The time now is 03:57 AM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.