Old 02-08-2010, 11:03 AM
Mackenzie Morgan

Default Kubuntu on launchpad?

On Monday 08 February 2010 12:07:38 am Corey O'Connor wrote:
> On Sat, Feb 6, 2010 at 12:12 PM, Mackenzie Morgan <macoafi@gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Saturday 06 February 2010 2:52:48 pm Jonathan Jesse wrote:
> >> I posted this on Jono's blog as well. It looks like more and more is
> >> going GNOME only on the Ubuntu developer end. Ground Control and
> >> Project would be great for Kubuntu and might help newbies contribue and
> >> help deal with the flood of bugs we have
> >
> > And Lernid? Jono told Rich that having a KDE version of Lernid would
> > just confuse users so don't release one...after Rich had it written and
> > working.
>
> I am ignorant of Lernid. Any links?

It's Jono's tool for the learning weeks, like Ubuntu Developer Week.
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Lernid

--
Mackenzie Morgan
apt-get moo

Old 02-08-2010, 11:26 AM
Sebastian Kügler

On Saturday 06 February 2010 21:12:47 Mackenzie Morgan wrote:
> On Saturday 06 February 2010 2:52:48 pm Jonathan Jesse wrote:
> > I posted this on Jono's blog as well. It looks like more and more is
> >
> > going GNOME only on the Ubuntu developer end. Ground Control and
> >Project would be great for Kubuntu and might help newbies contribue and
> >help deal with the flood of bugs we have
>
> And Lernid? Jono told Rich that having a KDE version of Lernid would just
> confuse users so don't release one...after Rich had it written and working.

I'm rather impressed. Not in a positive way, though. If Ubuntu doesn't want it, you
can get it into KDE, it's probably a good fit in kdesdk, or maybe kde-edu, otherwise,
extragear can surely host it (and you'll still be able to have it "automatically
released" with the rest of KDE SC.

Cheers,
--
sebas

Old 02-08-2010, 11:58 AM
Mackenzie Morgan

On Monday 08 February 2010 7:26:22 am Sebastian Kügler wrote:
> On Saturday 06 February 2010 21:12:47 Mackenzie Morgan wrote:
> > On Saturday 06 February 2010 2:52:48 pm Jonathan Jesse wrote:
> > > I posted this on Jono's blog as well. It looks like more and more is
> > >
> > > going GNOME only on the Ubuntu developer end. Ground Control and
> > >Project would be great for Kubuntu and might help newbies contribue and
> > >help deal with the flood of bugs we have
> >
> > And Lernid? Jono told Rich that having a KDE version of Lernid would
> > just confuse users so don't release one...after Rich had it written and
> > working.
>
> I'm rather impressed. Not in a positive way, though. If Ubuntu doesn't want
> it, you can get it into KDE, it's probably a good fit in kdesdk, or maybe
> kde-edu, otherwise, extragear can surely host it (and you'll still be able
> to have it "automatically released" with the rest of KDE SC.

Rich already deleted all the code he had (see #kubuntu-devel logs from 23
January)

--
Mackenzie Morgan
apt-get moo

Old 02-08-2010, 06:38 PM
Jonathan Jesse

On Mon, Feb 8, 2010 at 7:58 AM, Mackenzie Morgan <macoafi@gmail.com> wrote:

On Monday 08 February 2010 7:26:22 am Sebastian Kügler wrote:

> On Saturday 06 February 2010 21:12:47 Mackenzie Morgan wrote:

> > On Saturday 06 February 2010 2:52:48 pm Jonathan Jesse wrote:

> > > I posted this on Jono's blog as well. *It looks like more and more is

> > > *going GNOME only on the Ubuntu developer end. *Ground Control and

> > >Project would be great for Kubuntu and might help newbies contribue and

> > >help deal with the flood of bugs we have

> > And Lernid? *Jono told Rich that having a KDE version of Lernid would

> > just confuse users so don't release one...after Rich had it written and

> > working.

> I'm rather impressed. Not in a positive way, though. If Ubuntu doesn't want

> *it, you can get it into KDE, it's probably a good fit in kdesdk, or maybe

> *kde-edu, otherwise, extragear can surely host it (and you'll still be able

> *to have it "automatically released" with the rest of KDE SC.

Rich already deleted all the code he had *(see #kubuntu-devel logs from 23

January)

--

Mackenzie Morgan

apt-get moo

That sucks on two ways 1 that Rich deleted the code and 2 that a large portion of the Community is now being ingored by the community manager

Old 02-09-2010, 08:03 AM
Sebastian Kügler

On Monday 08 February 2010 20:38:50 Jonathan Jesse wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 8, 2010 at 7:58 AM, Mackenzie Morgan <macoafi@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> On Monday 08 February 2010 7:26:22 am Sebastian Kügler wrote:
> > >
> > > And Lernid? Jono told Rich that having a KDE version of Lernid would
> > > just confuse users so don't release one...after Rich had it written
> > > and working.
> >
> > I'm rather impressed. Not in a positive way, though. If Ubuntu doesn't
> > want it, you can get it into KDE, it's probably a good fit in kdesdk,
> > or maybe kde-edu, otherwise, extragear can surely host it (and you'll
> > still be able to have it "automatically released" with the rest of KDE
> > SC.
>
> Rich already deleted all the code he had (see #kubuntu-devel logs from
> 23 January)

[Jonathan Jesse]
> That sucks on two ways 1 that Rich deleted the code and 2 that a large
> portion of the Community is now being ingored by the community manager

I find it ironic how this relates to "Opportunistic Programming", since Jono seems
to have discouraged Rich to write a program. The geek in me grins, the Free Software
guy in me cries.
--
sebas

Old 02-09-2010, 05:01 PM
Yiannis Belias

Hi, all!
Well, I want to contribute to KDE, too. But really, is not running trunk (or a 4.x branch)
the only realistic approach? Or am I missing something?
Incidentally, I have been trying the last 2 days to build trunk on my Kubuntu Karmic.
So, I decided to go and document the process using the Kubuntu DocBook xml.
You can find the html output page here: http://www.orionas.org/playground/prepare.html
As you can see, I run into quite a few problems and only been able to build qt and kdesupport
so far. Maybe I'd better try on lucid.
IMHO, there should be an easy way for someone to setup a KDE build environment in Kubuntu,
at least for the currently supported branch (eg. 4.3 for Karmic). An official tasksel and
custom made kdesvn-buildrc config would be all that's needed, right? I could take this up as my
little contribution for Lucid.
OTOH, trunk is another story. It's a moving target, but maybe we could use build-tool
(a ruby script which is made for that kind of purpose http://michael-jansen.biz/build-tool)
to install packages not currently in the repos and KDE itself.
So, what do you think?

Cheers!
Yiannis

--
Yiannis Belias <jonnyb@hol.gr> `
Homepage [http://users.hol.gr/~jonnyb/video] ' .

Old 02-10-2010, 11:09 AM
Sebastian Kügler

On Tuesday 09 February 2010 19:01:32 Yiannis Belias wrote:
> Well, I want to contribute to KDE, too. But really, is not running trunk
> (or a 4.x branch) the only realistic approach? Or am I missing something?
> Incidentally, I have been trying the last 2 days to build trunk on my
> Kubuntu Karmic. So, I decided to go and document the process using the
> Kubuntu DocBook xml. You can find the html output page here:
> http://www.orionas.org/playground/prepare.html As you can see, I run into
> quite a few problems and only been able to build qt and kdesupport so far.
> Maybe I'd better try on lucid.
> IMHO, there should be an easy way for someone to setup a KDE build
> environment in Kubuntu, at least for the currently supported branch (eg.
> 4.3 for Karmic). An official tasksel and custom made kdesvn-buildrc config
> would be all that's needed, right? I could take this up as my little
> contribution for Lucid.
> OTOH, trunk is another story. It's a moving target, but maybe we could use
> build-tool (a ruby script which is made for that kind of purpose
> http://michael-jansen.biz/build-tool) to install packages not currently in
> the repos and KDE itself.
> So, what do you think?

Depending on what you want to do, it might be enough to just install the KDE
development packages and get cracking...
--
sebas

Old 02-10-2010, 06:03 PM
Yiannis Belias

Sebastian Kügler wrote
> Depending on what you want to do, it might be enough to just install the
> KDE development packages and get cracking...

Oh yes, of course. I've done some small steps with QT.
But I had the following 2 cases in mind:
1. Contribute to an already existing project, like kstars in my case. I'm pretty sure
I need trunk for this kind of work.
2. Reporting bugs/sending patches for the currently installed KDE4.x in Kubuntu.
Let's say I find a bug I can reproduce. It would be great if I could easily have the 4.4 branch
of the offending application built/installed so I can see if it's still there and if I can fix it.

So, I think I'll just try to build the 4.4 branch on lucid and make some easy instructions
for kubuntu-docs.

Cheers!
Yiannis