Old 02-05-2010, 11:26 AM
Harald Sitter

Default Pretty please use debcommit

I know I am annoying, but could every uploader please use debcomit -R -r to do
a release commit?

It is kind of a PITA to trace a file movement among .install files if the log
does show no indication as to when what version was uplaoded to the archives.

When using -r -R debcommit will try to compose a sensible commit message,
which in case of no changes would be
"releasing 1:1.1.1-0ubuntu1"
but even more importantly it adds a tag to that commit making it more
recognizable.

In bzr qlog this looks like
http://people.ubuntu.com/~apachelogger/screenshots/snapshot001.png which is of
course super useful.

Regular commiters should also prefer debcommit over bzr's, more than pitiful
attemts to make a sensible commit msg out of the changelog, or manual writing.
In most cases debcommit will properly detect which entries are new and create
a somewhat sensible and well formated commit message from that.

So in general: please "man debcommit", and use when appropriate.

Thanks
--
Harald Sitter
Kubuntu Core Developer

Old 02-05-2010, 02:38 PM
Scott Kitterman

"Harald Sitter" <apachelogger@ubuntu.com> wrote:

>I know I am annoying, but could every uploader please use debcomit -R -r to do
>a release commit?
>
>It is kind of a PITA to trace a file movement among .install files if the log
>does show no indication as to when what version was uplaoded to the archives.
>
>When using -r -R debcommit will try to compose a sensible commit message,
>which in case of no changes would be
>"releasing 1:1.1.1-0ubuntu1"
>but even more importantly it adds a tag to that commit making it more
>recognizable.
>
>In bzr qlog this looks like
>http://people.ubuntu.com/~apachelogger/screenshots/snapshot001.png which is of
>course super useful.
>
>Regular commiters should also prefer debcommit over bzr's, more than pitiful
>attemts to make a sensible commit msg out of the changelog, or manual writing.
>In most cases debcommit will properly detect which entries are new and create
>a somewhat sensible and well formated commit message from that.
>
>So in general: please "man debcommit", and use when appropriate.

I'll say up front that I'm unlikely to remember to do this, but I think my commit messages are reasonably clear.

Scott K--
kubuntu-devel mailing list
kubuntu-devel@lists.ubuntu.com