Old 02-01-2010, 04:54 PM

Default little list of proposals by kubuntu italian user

Hi Kubuntu Developers, we are a group of Kubuntu Users come from
Ubuntu-it forum and we would like share to you what we would like
see in Lucid. This is a little list of proposals. What do you think about?
Thanks, regards. (kico, gp, Cylon, kekko, TequilaMex, iteand,
Frankie90, superlex, ivanhoe1024, ShaiKailash)

1) Packaging: Some packages in repository has a ton of gnome
dependencies (i.e. gimp and firefox). We know those packages are
not made by Kubuntu team, but try to solve this problem considering
Kubuntu users and low space usage.

2) Samba and share folder: In Dolphin, in a folder's menu, the option
"Share folder" doesn't work because the package "kdenetwork-
filesharing" is not installed. It's necessary to share folders via Dolpin.
The bug is filed in launchpad but it's not yet fixed (LP bug #402015,
#209873)

3) photo and digital kamera: In Kubuntu Karmic, when users try to
connect a digital camera, the automount doesn't start. So users
can't download or browse their photos. Manual mount of the device
or installation of digiKam is necessary to using the digital camera.
Make possible the automount of the digital camera like a removable
storage device without digiKam, or at least digiKam by default into
CD or DVD.

4) apturl-kde and firefox: apturl-kde is a great improve but into
Kubuntu is not integrated in Firefox. Firefox is not installed by default
but it is the browser used by the most number of users. A good idea
should be apturl-kde integrated in Firefox also for Kubuntu.

5) knetwork manager and kbluetooth: KNetwork Manager and
KBluetooth have still some problems. There are problems with
hidden networks and some pc freezes when transfering data to a
phone. KNetwork Manager doesn't want connect with UMTS pen like
Ubuntu with gnome does with wizard. Is it possible put in Kubuntu,
Network Manager and bluetooth which is used in Ubuntu? Or at least
fix the UMTS issue?

6) kpackagekit: kpackagekit doesn't have support for debconf and
it's not a complete package manager like Synaptic. And yes, it has
many issue like crashes and serious problem like LP bug #45442
(KPackageKit can't resolve dependencies and recommends Synaptic
or Aptitude)

7) artwork: We are asking for artwork in Kubuntu like other distro
have. A not invasive artwork, in according with the default style of
KDE, but at the same time a brand for Kubuntu. Only simple work:
- Kubuntu-Icon for kickoff;
- Kubuntu logo in KDE Splash;
- Kubuntu Wallpaper branded with Kubuntu logo.
- Kubuntu logo in kdm;

8) trash plasma-widget: Add "Trash Plasmoid" in the KDE Panel. It's
comfortable for a good user experience and for users who have just
migrated from Windows.

9) Add "lock/logout" plasma-widget in the panel for an easy access
to this action.

10) artwork for folder icons in the home directory: The oxygen icons
"music","video", "documents" and "my pictures" exists and are in the
oxygen-icons package. Kubuntu doesn't use them by default. It's a
good idea to use them for a more positive user experience. Those
icons are useful to identify quickly the contents of the home
directory.

11) System colors: Oxygen colors theme was updated every release
of KDE, but kubuntu doesn't use it by default. This theme should be
the default theme since in KDE 4.4 is really improved.

12) firefox: Firefox is, now, one of the most know open source
software. It runs on Gnu/linux and Windows. Kubuntu doesn't install it
by default. It's the first program that most number of users install
after the first installation of Kubuntu. The firefox-installer is good but
it seems a patch for a problem. Firefox isn't integrated in Kubuntu
with a normal installation and is not integrated in KDE like Opensuse.
It would be a really good idea if when user installs Firefox it becomes
the default browser in his system instead of Konqueror.

13) Dragon player is only a video player and it lacks many feautures
like show subtitle. Kaffeine is a multimedia player, it has more
important features, for example dvb tv tuner. If it will be complete for
lucid, it's important to include it by default.

14) Arora/Rekonq: a webkit/qt browser by default, for example
Rekonq or Arora instead of Konqueror.

15) bangarang: a nepomuk/phonon based media player, really nice
for kubuntu-netbook edition instead of Kaffeine or Dragon

16) Open kde mený when user click on the desktop with middle
button

Thanks,
Simone Maggiani

Old 02-01-2010, 05:16 PM
Mackenzie Morgan

On Monday 01 February 2010 12:54:12 pm maggsimo@gmail.com wrote:
> Hi Kubuntu Developers, we are a group of Kubuntu Users come from
> Ubuntu-it forum and we would like share to you what we would like
> see in Lucid. This is a little list of proposals. What do you think about?
> Thanks, regards. (kico, gp, Cylon, kekko, TequilaMex, iteand,
> Frankie90, superlex, ivanhoe1024, ShaiKailash)
>
> 1) Packaging: Some packages in repository has a ton of gnome
> dependencies (i.e. gimp and firefox). We know those packages are
> not made by Kubuntu team, but try to solve this problem considering
> Kubuntu users and low space usage.

What about it?

> 2) Samba and share folder: In Dolphin, in a folder's menu, the option
> "Share folder" doesn't work because the package "kdenetwork-
> filesharing" is not installed. It's necessary to share folders via Dolpin.
> The bug is filed in launchpad but it's not yet fixed (LP bug #402015,
> #209873)

Based on conversation at UDS, I gather Samba hasn't worked in years. It is
being worked on for Lucid.

> 3) photo and digital kamera: In Kubuntu Karmic, when users try to
> connect a digital camera, the automount doesn't start. So users
> can't download or browse their photos. Manual mount of the device
> or installation of digiKam is necessary to using the digital camera.
> Make possible the automount of the digital camera like a removable
> storage device without digiKam, or at least digiKam by default into
> CD or DVD.

Sounds like a problem with your specific camera, as it works for mine. Or
well, it pops up and says that a new device was plugged in, and then I click
on the camera in the menu that pops out of the panel and it offers to browse
the images.

> 7) artwork: We are asking for artwork in Kubuntu like other distro
> have. A not invasive artwork, in according with the default style of
> KDE, but at the same time a brand for Kubuntu. Only simple work:
> - Kubuntu-Icon for kickoff;
> - Kubuntu logo in KDE Splash;
> - Kubuntu Wallpaper branded with Kubuntu logo.
> - Kubuntu logo in kdm;

We have as a goal to stick closely to upstream KDE, so we use KDE logos
instead of Kubuntu logos.

> 8) trash plasma-widget: Add "Trash Plasmoid" in the KDE Panel. It's
> comfortable for a good user experience and for users who have just
> migrated from Windows.
>
> 9) Add "lock/logout" plasma-widget in the panel for an easy access
> to this action.

I like these two.

> 12) firefox: Firefox is, now, one of the most know open source
> software. It runs on Gnu/linux and Windows. Kubuntu doesn't install it
> by default. It's the first program that most number of users install
> after the first installation of Kubuntu. The firefox-installer is good but
> it seems a patch for a problem. Firefox isn't integrated in Kubuntu
> with a normal installation and is not integrated in KDE like Opensuse.
> It would be a really good idea if when user installs Firefox it becomes
> the default browser in his system instead of Konqueror.

Mozilla will not allow us to have the KDE integration patches in our Firefox
and still call it Firefox. Instead we'd like to have a working KDE browser.
We realise that Konqueror is not exactly great at rendering many websites and
have explored Arora as an alternative. Arora was not included in Karmic
though it was considered. I think we're hoping that Rekonq will pan out.

--
Mackenzie Morgan
apt-get moo

Old 02-01-2010, 05:23 PM
Alessandro Ghersi

> > 3) photo and digital kamera: In Kubuntu Karmic, when users try to
> > connect a digital camera, the automount doesn't start. So users
> > can't download or browse their photos. Manual mount of the device
> > or installation of digiKam is necessary to using the digital camera.
> > Make possible the automount of the digital camera like a removable
> > storage device without digiKam, or at least digiKam by default into
> > CD or DVD.
>
> Sounds like a problem with your specific camera, as it works for mine. Or
> well, it pops up and says that a new device was plugged in, and then I
> click on the camera in the menu that pops out of the panel and it offers
> to browse the images.

I have the same issue with my two cameras (FujiFilm and Nikon). I need digikam
to browse the photos and to download them.

Regards
Lex

Old 02-01-2010, 07:02 PM

> > 3) photo and digital kamera: In Kubuntu Karmic, when users try to
> > connect a digital camera, the automount doesn't start. So users
> > can't download or browse their photos. Manual mount of the device
> > or installation of digiKam is necessary to using the digital camera.
> > Make possible the automount of the digital camera like a removable
> > storage device without digiKam, or at least digiKam by default into
> > CD or DVD.
>
> Sounds like a problem with your specific camera, as it works for mine. Or
> well, it pops up and says that a new device was plugged in, and then I
> click on the camera in the menu that pops out of the panel and it offers
> to browse the images.

thanks for reply

this is the correct behaviours but, unfortunately, i see a lot of users in
ubuntu-it forum that have some problem with them digital-camera.
kde doesn't recognize them but digikam yes

so i think that it isn't a problem of a specific model of digital camera

regards
Simone Maggiani

Old 02-01-2010, 07:03 PM
Yuriy Kozlov

>> 7) artwork: We are asking for artwork in Kubuntu like other distro
>> have. A not invasive artwork, in according with the default style of
>> KDE, but at the same time a brand for Kubuntu. Only simple work:
>> * * * * * - Kubuntu-Icon for kickoff;
>> * * * * * - Kubuntu logo in KDE Splash;
>> * * * * * - Kubuntu Wallpaper branded with Kubuntu logo.
>> * * * * * - Kubuntu logo in kdm;
>
> We have as a goal to stick closely to upstream KDE, so we use KDE logos
> instead of Kubuntu logos.

Let's not get carried away with this. Kubuntu deserves some branding,
and there are appropriate places for it. This is what splash screens
are for. I would love to see a smooth boot sequence from
usplash/plymouth to kdm to ksplash with the Kubuntu logo (the one with
the name) centerpiece.

~ Yuriy

Old 02-01-2010, 07:06 PM
Mackenzie Morgan

On Monday 01 February 2010 3:03:32 pm Yuriy Kozlov wrote:
> >> 7) artwork: We are asking for artwork in Kubuntu like other distro
> >> have. A not invasive artwork, in according with the default style of
> >> KDE, but at the same time a brand for Kubuntu. Only simple work:
> >> - Kubuntu-Icon for kickoff;
> >> - Kubuntu logo in KDE Splash;
> >> - Kubuntu Wallpaper branded with Kubuntu logo.
> >> - Kubuntu logo in kdm;
> >
> > We have as a goal to stick closely to upstream KDE, so we use KDE logos
> > instead of Kubuntu logos.
>
> Let's not get carried away with this. Kubuntu deserves some branding,
> and there are appropriate places for it. This is what splash screens
> are for. I would love to see a smooth boot sequence from
> usplash/plymouth to kdm to ksplash with the Kubuntu logo (the one with
> the name) centerpiece.

What is ksplash?

--
Mackenzie Morgan
apt-get moo

Old 02-01-2010, 07:09 PM
Mackenzie Morgan

On Monday 01 February 2010 3:02:05 pm maggsimo@gmail.com wrote:
> > > 3) photo and digital kamera: In Kubuntu Karmic, when users try to
> > > connect a digital camera, the automount doesn't start. So users
> > > can't download or browse their photos. Manual mount of the device
> > > or installation of digiKam is necessary to using the digital camera.
> > > Make possible the automount of the digital camera like a removable
> > > storage device without digiKam, or at least digiKam by default into
> > > CD or DVD.
> >
> > Sounds like a problem with your specific camera, as it works for mine.
> > Or well, it pops up and says that a new device was plugged in, and then I
> > click on the camera in the menu that pops out of the panel and it offers
> > to browse the images.
>
> thanks for reply
>
> this is the correct behaviours but, unfortunately, i see a lot of users in
> ubuntu-it forum that have some problem with them digital-camera.
> kde doesn't recognize them but digikam yes
>
> so i think that it isn't a problem of a specific model of digital camera

"A lot" or "all"? I'm not saying only one model could be problematic, just
that it could vary by hardware.

When I plug in a camera, the removable device manager plasmoid pops out of the
panel and says "Devices recently plugged in:" and lists my camera. Under the
camera it'll say how many actions are available for it. Click that, and a
window comes up saying "Open with Digikam / Browser folders / Do Nothing" I
usually pick "browse folders" and it opens up Dolphin already at the camera's
mountpoint.

Unfortunately, it doesn't mount until I click on either "browse folders" or
"digikam" :-/ That means even though I'm going to access it through the CLI I
still have to let it open up Dolphin or Digikam, so I agree it could be
better.

--
Mackenzie Morgan
apt-get moo

Old 02-01-2010, 07:33 PM

> "A lot" or "all"? I'm not saying only one model could be problematic, just
> that it could vary by hardware.

fortunatly, only "a lot"
ok
Indeed, it's possible

> When I plug in a camera, the removable device manager plasmoid pops out of
> the panel and says "Devices recently plugged in:" and lists my camera.
> Under the camera it'll say how many actions are available for it. Click
> that, and a window comes up saying "Open with Digikam / Browser folders /
> Do Nothing" I usually pick "browse folders" and it opens up Dolphin
> already at the camera's mountpoint.

unfortunately i don't have any info by the device manager plasmoid with my
digital camera (nikon) but, with digikam, i can browse the photos with any
problem

Regards

Simone Maggiani

Old 02-01-2010, 07:36 PM
Yuriy Kozlov

On Mon, Feb 1, 2010 at 3:06 PM, Mackenzie Morgan <macoafi@gmail.com> wrote:

>> > We have as a goal to stick closely to upstream KDE, so we use KDE logos
>> > instead of Kubuntu logos.
>>
>> Let's not get carried away with this. *Kubuntu deserves some branding,
>> and there are appropriate places for it. *This is what splash screens
>> are for. *I would love to see a smooth boot sequence from
>> usplash/plymouth to kdm to ksplash with the Kubuntu logo (the one with
>> the name) centerpiece.
>
> What is ksplash?

Ksplash (or technically, I think the version in KDE 4 is called
ksplashx) is the splash screen after KDM while the KDE desktop loads.

Old 02-01-2010, 08:12 PM
Alessandro Ghersi

In data Monday 01 February 2010 09:09:30 PM, Mackenzie Morgan ha scritto:

> > > Sounds like a problem with your specific camera, as it works for mine.
> > > Or well, it pops up and says that a new device was plugged in, and then
> > > I click on the camera in the menu that pops out of the panel and it
> > > offers to browse the images.
> >
> > thanks for reply
> >
> > this is the correct behaviours but, unfortunately, i see a lot of users
> > in ubuntu-it forum that have some problem with them digital-camera. kde
> > doesn't recognize them but digikam yes
> >
> > so i think that it isn't a problem of a specific model of digital camera
>
> "A lot" or "all"? I'm not saying only one model could be problematic, just
> that it could vary by hardware.
>
> When I plug in a camera, the removable device manager plasmoid pops out of
> the panel and says "Devices recently plugged in:" and lists my camera.
> Under the camera it'll say how many actions are available for it. Click
> that, and a window comes up saying "Open with Digikam / Browser folders /
> Do Nothing" I usually pick "browse folders" and it opens up Dolphin
> already at the camera's mountpoint.
>
> Unfortunately, it doesn't mount until I click on either "browse folders" or
> "digikam" :-/ That means even though I'm going to access it through the CLI
> I still have to let it open up Dolphin or Digikam, so I agree it could be
> better.

Hi, you said: Under the camera it'll say how many actions are available for
it. Click that, and a window comes up saying "Open with Digikam / Browser
folders / Do Nothing".
This means in your system, digikam is installed. But, have you tried in a
fresh install or livecd (so without digikam and your configuration files) if
happens same behaviour? We are talking about the fresh install, and not in a
system with digikam.

Regards
Lex