Old 01-31-2010, 11:26 PM
Christian Mangold

Default Basket for 10.04

Hi everyone,

I talked to the basket devs and they expect to publish a KDE4 release before
our feature freeze. They want us to ship the new version, because basket 1.0.3
is unmaintained now.

Any thoughts on that? We are preparing an LTS release and Basket 2.0 might
lack some features. Personally I think we sould really replace any KDE3
version so that is no point for me.

I prepared a package for it and to prevent doubled work, I write this mail.

Regards
Christian

--
neversfelde@jabber.neversfelde.de
neversfelde on irc.freenode.net

Old 01-31-2010, 11:40 PM
Jonathan Thomas

On Sun 31 Jan 2010 07:26:42 pm Christian Mangold wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> I talked to the basket devs and they expect to publish a KDE4
release
> before our feature freeze. They want us to ship the new
version, because
> basket 1.0.3 is unmaintained now.

Maintenance is really important, since we support LTS releases
for two years. Starting out with the package unmaintained would
be quite bad, in my opinion.

> Any thoughts on that? We are preparing an LTS release and
Basket 2.0 might
> lack some features. Personally I think we sould really
replace any KDE3
> version so that is no point for me.

Maintenance alone pretty much seals the deal; we want what will
be maintained, even if the new version lacks a few features.
Following upstream's wishes has some pull too, though. ;-)
(...and also it's one less KDE3 package )

> I prepared a package for it and to prevent doubled work, I
write this mail.

Thanks!

> Regards
> Christian

Keep on rocking,
Jonathan Thomas

Old 01-31-2010, 11:52 PM
pan shizhu

> I talked to the basket devs and they expect to publish a KDE4 release before
> our feature freeze. They want us to ship the new version, because basket 1.0.3
> is unmaintained now.
>
> Any thoughts on that? We are preparing an LTS release and Basket 2.0 might
> lack some features. Personally I think we sould really replace any KDE3
> version so that is no point for me.

Doesn't matter if it is KDE3 or not, but we are preparing LTS for
2010-2013 and only the new version of basket will be maintained.

I think we should make sure most applications in the LTS are active
during 2010-2013.

Even if both versions are KDE4 or both versions are KDE3 will still
should choose the version recommended by devs.

Old 02-01-2010, 12:00 AM
pan shizhu

> Any thoughts on that? We are preparing an LTS release and Basket 2.0 might
> lack some features. Personally I think we sould really replace any KDE3
> version so that is no point for me.

Will Basket 2.0 still lack features in 2011? will you provide Basket
upgrades in lynx-backport? If we can expect updates in the life-cyle
of 10.04LTS, then I'm sure the lacked features will come in
lynx-updates or lynx-backports. then no problem of LTS users.

I'm a 8.04.4 LTS user and I will upgrade to 10.04 LTS. being an LTS
user I always enable the backports repository.

Old 02-01-2010, 08:54 AM
Andreas Wenning

Hi all

I've been following upstream basket for KDE4 from git-pulls for a year or so
and just recently (here in january) I have started rating it ready for
inclusion. No more important features lacking, and no great usability
problems.

I have actually already made a version ready for upload to the repositories,
and was going to ask for opinions whether to upload it soon.

You can find a PPA build (including a backport for karmic) here:
https://launchpad.net/~andreas-wenning/+archive/ppa

If no-one has any objections I will go ahead and upload it; and plan to track
git roughly until feature freeze. Hopefully we will have a final KDE4 version
prior to releasing lucid that we can upload with a FFE (if it is after feature
freeze), or SRU it into the archive.

Cheers,
Andreas
--
,-. Kubuntu Linux
; http://www.kubuntu.org

Old 02-01-2010, 09:04 AM
Harald Sitter

Am Montag, 1. Februar 2010 01:40:31 schrieb Jonathan Thomas:
> Maintenance is really important, since we support LTS releases
> for two years. Starting out with the package unmaintained would
> be quite bad, in my opinion.

LTS versions are released by Canonical, Canonical only supports main,
therefore it makes absolutely no difference for basket, it being and always
have been a universe app :P

--
Harald Sitter
Kubuntu Core Developer

Old 02-01-2010, 10:19 AM
Scott Kitterman

>Hi all
>
>I've been following upstream basket for KDE4 from git-pulls for a year or so
>and just recently (here in january) I have started rating it ready for
>inclusion. No more important features lacking, and no great usability
>problems.
>
>I have actually already made a version ready for upload to the repositories,
>and was going to ask for opinions whether to upload it soon.
>
>You can find a PPA build (including a backport for karmic) here:
>https://launchpad.net/~andreas-wenning/+archive/ppa
>
>If no-one has any objections I will go ahead and upload it; and plan to track
>git roughly until feature freeze. Hopefully we will have a final KDE4 version
>prior to releasing lucid that we can upload with a FFE (if it is after feature
>freeze), or SRU it into the archive.

Sounds like a good plan to me.

Scott K--
kubuntu-devel mailing list
kubuntu-devel@lists.ubuntu.com

Old 02-01-2010, 03:23 PM
Richard JOHNSON

On Mon, Feb 01, 2010 at 10:54:12AM +0100, Andreas Wenning wrote:
> Hi all
>
> I've been following upstream basket for KDE4 from git-pulls for a year or so
> and just recently (here in january) I have started rating it ready for
> inclusion. No more important features lacking, and no great usability
> problems.
>
> I have actually already made a version ready for upload to the repositories,
> and was going to ask for opinions whether to upload it soon.
>
> You can find a PPA build (including a backport for karmic) here:
> https://launchpad.net/~andreas-wenning/+archive/ppa
>
> If no-one has any objections I will go ahead and upload it; and plan to track
> git roughly until feature freeze. Hopefully we will have a final KDE4 version
> prior to releasing lucid that we can upload with a FFE (if it is after feature
> freeze), or SRU it into the archive.

I have been doing the same as well, and I don't see any features lacking
now, and it is pretty damn stable. I haven't had a crash in a while with
it. Does it integrate with Kontact still? I haven't checked that. I am all
for it, no objection here.

--
Name| Richard JOHNSON
Title| Developer
WWW| http://www.ubuntu.com
Email| nixternal@ubuntu.com
GnuPG| 3578 0981 A21D D662 2A96 7623 F4C1 838C D8C4 4738

Old 02-01-2010, 03:32 PM
Christian Mangold

Am Monday, 1. February 2010 10:54:12 schrieb Andreas Wenning:

> If no-one has any objections I will go ahead and upload it; and plan to
> track git roughly until feature freeze. Hopefully we will have a final
> KDE4 version prior to releasing lucid that we can upload with a FFE (if it
> is after feature freeze), or SRU it into the archive.

Afaik release is planned for 15th of February. They want to fix some bugs and
update the website first.

Old 02-01-2010, 07:37 PM
Andreas Wenning

On Monday 01 February 2010 17:23:07 Richard JOHNSON wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 01, 2010 at 10:54:12AM +0100, Andreas Wenning wrote:
> > Hi all
> >
> > I've been following upstream basket for KDE4 from git-pulls for a year or
> > so and just recently (here in january) I have started rating it ready for
> > inclusion. No more important features lacking, and no great usability
> > problems.
> >
> > I have actually already made a version ready for upload to the
> > repositories, and was going to ask for opinions whether to upload it
> > soon.
> >
> > You can find a PPA build (including a backport for karmic) here:
> > https://launchpad.net/~andreas-wenning/+archive/ppa
> >
> > If no-one has any objections I will go ahead and upload it; and plan to
> > track git roughly until feature freeze. Hopefully we will have a final
> > KDE4 version prior to releasing lucid that we can upload with a FFE (if
> > it is after feature freeze), or SRU it into the archive.
>
> I have been doing the same as well, and I don't see any features lacking
> now, and it is pretty damn stable. I haven't had a crash in a while with
> it. Does it integrate with Kontact still? I haven't checked that. I am all
> for it, no objection here.

I haven't had a crash yet either over the last year; so definitely looks
stable. No kontact integration yet afaik; but with current basket for KDE3
this is the same, as it doesn't integrate with kontact for KDE4.

Cheers,
Andreas
--
,-. Kubuntu Linux