Old 01-29-2010, 10:32 PM
Alessandro Ghersi

Default About Phonon in Qt 4.6.1

Hi, Phonon headers path is changed in Qt 4.6.1, this change is made by Thiago:

* Important Behavior Changes *

- Phonon
* Include headers have been changed. The only official method for
including Phonon headers is <phonon/ClassName> or
<phonon/classname.h>. This change was necessary because of
frameworks on Mac.

Compatibility is provided for <Phonon/*> includes, but is not
guaranteed to work. Including <phonon> and <Phonon> is not
supported.

At the moment, we built Qt + Sandsmark's patch to ensure Phonon is update with
KDE's phonon, since KDE wants that. KDE developer doesn't want comply the
change made by Thiago for the Phonon headers. So, kdebase-runtime will fail to
build against Qt 4.6.1, as you see:

http://pastebin.ca/1770960

because runtime looking for Phonon/ObjectDescription instead of
phonon/ObjectDescription

I talk about this issue with Thiago, I paste here the conversation:

####

<Lex79> hi thiago I'm sorry for the disturb, I think you are always busy
I'm kubuntu developer and I write in #kde-devel the issue that it's come from
building kdebase-runtime against Qt 4.6.1
<Lex79> I don't know if you' read that, btw:
<Lex79> <Lex79> Hi, kdebase-runtime in branch, is updated to comply this
change in Qt 4.6.1 http://pastebin.ca/1770956 ?
<Lex79> <Lex79> it seems not since I have this issue to building runtime
against Qt 4.6.1 http://pastebin.ca/1770960
<Lex79> <Lex79> the problem is Phonon/ObjectDescription and Phonon/* that are
changed to phonon/* (lowercase)
<Lex79> <Lex79> in qt 4.6.1
<Lex79> <Lex79> in Kubuntu we building phonon from Qt and we have sandsmark
patch for KDE phonon
<Lex79> <Lex79> btw the phonon headers are those http://git.debian.org/?p=pkg-
kde/qt4-x11.git;a=blob_plain;f=debian/libphonon-
dev.install;hb=3b139eb815fc90cc7ad18c22038e449a235 82196
<Lex79> <Lex79> and come from phonon in Qt 4.6.1
<Lex79> Thanks
<thiago> you've got the description
<thiago> it has to be a lowercase p
<Lex79> I'm come back, well I know, but seems kde developers doesn't
<Lex79> and I'm not a kde developer :P
<Lex79> can you poke someone to fix that?
<Lex79> in kdebase-runtime I mean
<thiago> it won't be fixed
<thiago> it's a source-incompatible change
<thiago> I've notified kde-multimedia that Qt was going to break source
compatibility
<thiago> KDE has not pronounced itself on the subject.
<Lex79> uhmm perfect
<Lex79> so it's a distro problem now
<thiago> I recommend you use KDE's Phonon package
<thiago> it's more up-to-date anyway
<Lex79> we use Qt phonon
<Lex79> with sandsmark patch
<thiago> most KDE apps and KDE developers don't ever test or use Qt's Phonon
<thiago> you're asking for trouble
<Lex79> so, what is your advice? Build KDE core packages against KDE's phonon?
and for apps which use Qt's phonon?
<Lex79> it's a bit mess....
<thiago> none
<thiago> just use Phonon everywhere
<thiago> I meant KDE's Phonon everywhere
<Lex79> well, thanks, I will talk with others Kubuntu developers
<Lex79> thanks
<thiago> you're welcome
<Lex79> just for to be sure, you mean also build Qt's Phonon but not install
it in the distro, and don't build anything against it? right?
<thiago> if you had the option, I'd recommend build Qt with -no-phonon
<Lex79> ok
<thiago> but if you do that, QtWebKit will be built without <audio> and
<video> support
<thiago> so don't do it
<thiago> build Qt's Phonon, but don't install it
<Lex79> uhm, ok

#####

Premise:
1) I know that KDE's Phonon will be part of Qt 4.7.0.
2) Wait a patch from one only KDE developer (sandsmark) it's a bit mess for
every Qt bugfixes release.

So, what we do?
1) The easy fix is do the symlinks in libphonon-dev.install in qt4-x11
package.
2) Do the patch for kdebase-runtime and anywhere is needs
3) Do what Thiago said (build KDE's Phonon and build all packages against
that, build Qt's Phonon for webkit but don't install Phonon from Qt)

I think we need a decision...any suggestions?

Thanks
Lex

Old 01-30-2010, 05:42 AM
Luka Renko

On Saturday 30 of January 2010 00:32:59 Alessandro Ghersi wrote:

What a mess - again. :-(

> 1) The easy fix is do the symlinks in libphonon-dev.install in qt4-x11
> package.

Does this really work? As there is a note in change log that mixing phonon and
Phono include should not work, therefore I would suspect there is more than
just directory rename. :-(
Otherwise I think this is the best approach, as I really think we should build
both Qt and KDE apps with same Phonon, therefore the only option is the one
from Qt (until Qt supports building with Phonon as external dependancy).

Thank you very much for working on this mess.

Regards,
Luka (who is waiting for 4.6.1 to upgrade to KDE 4.4 ;-))

Old 01-31-2010, 09:45 PM
Jonathan Thomas

On Fri 29 Jan 2010 06:32:59 pm Alessandro Ghersi wrote:
> 3) Do what Thiago said (build KDE's Phonon and build all
packages against
> that, build Qt's Phonon for webkit but don't install Phonon
from Qt)

Reading the goings-on @ OFTC, it looks like Debian is going to
take this route. It's the route I'd recommend, too.

What a mess.

Old 01-31-2010, 09:49 PM
Jonathan Thomas

On Sun 31 Jan 2010 05:45:01 pm you wrote:
> On Fri 29 Jan 2010 06:32:59 pm Alessandro Ghersi wrote:
> > 3) Do what Thiago said (build KDE's Phonon and build all
>
> packages against
>
> > that, build Qt's Phonon for webkit but don't install Phonon
>
> from Qt)
>
> Reading the goings-on @ OFTC, it looks like Debian is going to
> take this route. It's the route I'd recommend, too.
>
> What a mess.

... replying to myself here. Looks like discussion in Debian is
still ongoing on what to do, so I rescind my first statement. We
should do whatever they do though.