Old 01-28-2010, 01:45 AM
Roman Shtylman

Default new kdm theme

I changed the kdm theme that I did with the Quadros wallpaper to use
the new Ethais wallpaper:
http://shtylman.com/stuff/kdm_latest.png

The actual files are here:
http://shtylman.com/stuff/new_kdm_theme.tar.gz

Just run the install.sh, all it does is copy the ethais kdm theme to
the right location. It also copies one of the png's (rectangle.png) to
change the ksplash theme center part. The overall transition from kdm
-> kplash -> desktop is much much nicer that way.

I am proposing that we aim to use this as the default kdm theme
(instead of the current one we have) for lucid. That is if no one has
any serious objections.

Some concerns I do have with this...and even the current packaging.
Given how there are different resolutions of the wallpaper (and yes...
the code does pick the right one) that means that there are three
locations with THE SAME files:

/usr/share/wallpapers
/usr/share/kde4/apps/kdm/themes/ethais/...
/usr/share/kde4/apps/ksplash/Themes ... anyhow... yall get the point.

My point... is that this is ridiculous. There needs to only be ONE
copy of these giant wallpaper files. I am not a packager... but I
would hope there is a way to just make the symlinks? during the
install or something... food for thought for those that like to keep
the disk size smaller

~Roman

Old 01-28-2010, 01:57 AM
Yuriy Kozlov

Looks great, just one thing:
Can we get a Kubuntu logo on there? The screen that comes up when my
computer turns on should really say what operating system I'm running,
and the KDE 3.x releases always had it.

~ Yuriy