Old 01-21-2010, 11:17 PM
Tomas Gustavsson

Default Saving space for Kubuntu 10.04: Replacing Ktorrent with transmission-qt

I don't know about you, but I haven't grow too found of Ktorrent, maybe it's just that I haven't spent that much time with it. But still I don't see what it has that transmission hasn't. Transmission is user friendly (imho) and takes less space then Ktorrent (we would save at least 1.8M by replacing it). I have checked dependencies but I'm not sure which packages are stored on the cd, the dependencies for transmissiont-qt were only from packages in main.

/tomplast

Old 01-22-2010, 12:15 AM
Zorael

I use KTorrent daily, and my only qualms with it is missing
functionality. It doesn't have a whole lot of registered bugs, but a
considerable list of feature requests
(https://bugs.kde.org/buglist.cgi?quicksearch=product:ktorrent). It's
missing some of the basic functionality that appear obvious after
having used the more-popular Windows torrent managers (uTorrent,
BitComet, et al), which is arguably what it gets compared to.

* No option to append ".part" to incomplete files like Konqueror does (#147599)
* No way to randomize port upon start of app
* Automatic IP filter import broken
* Cannot put finegrained priority on whole torrents, only files in
torrents with plugin (#200004)
* Feature that moves files to a specific directory upon completion
cannot be told to only trigger if file is saved to the default
directory to begin with (#218242)

I'm trying TransmissionQt now and it seems /very/ skeletal. I mean, a
torrent manager is and should be an intelligent and complex beast, and
it cannot be dumbed down to the point where it's simply
"open/save/start/stop/quit" without ceasing to be a manager and
instead devolving into a "torrent downloader". If that's what we want
(downloader), we might as well use KGet with its torrent plugin. At
least then we'd enjoy greater integration than with TransmissionQt,
and it seems to have just shy of the same degree of features as
TransmissionQt does. Though admittedly, there is the CD space issue.

Zorael

Old 01-22-2010, 06:17 AM
Jussi Schultink

> I don't know about you, but I haven't grow too found of Ktorrent,

> maybe it's just that I haven't spent that much time with it. But

> still I don't see what it has that transmission hasn't. Transmission

> is user friendly (imho) and takes less space then Ktorrent (we would

> save at least 1.8M by replacing it). I have checked dependencies but

> I'm not sure which packages are stored on the cd, the dependencies

> for transmissiont-qt were only from packages in main.

I just have one thing to say, I <3 ktorrent. *It is not only the

premier torrent client for KDE, it is one of the best period.

Absolutely +1 here. *Ktorrent is one of the best clients available - on any platform. It is one of our "premier apps" like amarok or k3b and we should not be even thinking about dropping it - especially for a LTS.*

Jussi

Old 01-22-2010, 06:56 AM
Dotan Cohen

> Absolutely +1 here. *Ktorrent is one of the best clients available - on any
> platform. It is one of our "premier apps" like amarok or k3b and we should
> not be even thinking about dropping it - especially for a LTS.

Then is someone working on the feature requests. Most seem rather reasonable.

--
Dotan Cohen

http://what-is-what.com
http://gibberish.co.il

Old 01-22-2010, 09:12 AM
Luiz Felipe Talvik

Why not transmission:

-Runs on python (at least a dozen mb for the VM runnning all the time)
-Not K
-A lot less features than ktorrent
-Ktorrent rocks
-Popular K app

Old 01-22-2010, 09:18 AM
Tomas Gustavsson

Hehe it seems that I'll have to give Ktorrent another chance then .

Old 01-22-2010, 09:21 AM
Dave Morley

On Fri, 2010-01-22 at 11:18 +0100, Tomas Gustavsson wrote:
> Hehe it seems that I'll have to give Ktorrent another chance then .
>
> 2010/1/22 Luiz Felipe Talvik <talvik@gmail.com>
> Why not transmission:
>
> -Runs on python (at least a dozen mb for the VM runnning all
> the time)
> -Not K
> -A lot less features than ktorrent
> -Ktorrent rocks
> -Popular K app

You could of course just install one you prefer it is after all one of
the most flexible things about Linux.

--
Seek That Thy Might Know

http://www.davmor2.co.uk