Old 01-21-2010, 01:11 PM
Michał Zając

Default kffmpegthumbnailer - call for testing

Hi!
So it was recently suggested that we could replace mplayerthumbs with
kffmpegthumbnailer which is faster, lighter and better. Now I have created
upgraded packages for ffmpegthumbnailer and kffmpegthumbnailer (WTF is with so
damn long name?) I need someone besides me to test it and report any problem
with the application or package itself. You can grab it from my PPA which is
available under: https://launchpad.net/~quintasan/+archive/ppa

Thanks in advance,
--
Michał Zając
xmpp: quintasan@ubuntu.pl

Old 01-21-2010, 02:49 PM
Ofir Klinger

As I already said (in the previous discussion),*kffmpegthumbnailer was unable to generate thumbnails for some videos which then caused:1. Massive CPU usage (until the folder was closed)2. It looks like it loads the thumbnails one by one. When it encounters a video which it cannot generate thumbnail for, it just stops loading the rest of the thumbnails in that directory.

I think that it the thumbnailer stuck at the Generate stage, and if it happens for video file 5 out of 10, then it will prevent from displaying the thumbnails for the rest.

Old 01-22-2010, 04:12 PM
Andreas Scherf

Am Donnerstag, 21. Januar 2010 schrieb Michał Zając:
> Hi!
> So it was recently suggested that we could replace mplayerthumbs with
> kffmpegthumbnailer which is faster, lighter and better. Now I have created
> upgraded packages for ffmpegthumbnailer and kffmpegthumbnailer (WTF is with
> so damn long name?) I need someone besides me to test it and report any
> problem with the application or package itself. You can grab it from my
> PPA which is available under:
> https://launchpad.net/~quintasan/+archive/ppa
>
> Thanks in advance,
Ok. I will test it tomorow and report my results here. And i will try to
compare the "old" kmplayer thumbnailing with the new one ...

Thanks for the packages.

Old 01-23-2010, 03:13 PM
Ofir Klinger

http://img689.imageshack.us/img689/1839/62289132.png

Old 01-23-2010, 03:20 PM
Michał Zając

Dnia sobota 23 stycznia 2010 o 17:13:18 Ofir Klinger napisał(a):
> As I already said (in the previous discussion), kffmpegthumbnailer was
> unable to generate thumbnails for some videos which then caused:
> 1. Massive CPU usage (until the folder was closed)
> 2. It looks like it loads the thumbnails one by one. When it encounters a
> video which it cannot generate thumbnail for, it just stops loading the
> rest of the thumbnails in that directory.
>
> http://img689.imageshack.us/img689/1839/62289132.png
>
> I think that it the thumbnailer stuck at the Generate stage, and if it
> happens for video file 5 out of 10, then it will prevent from displaying
> the thumbnails for the rest.

Maybe you are missing some codecs or it's just that ffmpeg doesn't support
them. I have successfully generated thumbnails for files form YouTube (FLV),
h264, XviD and many others

Old 01-23-2010, 03:23 PM
Ofir Klinger

I check, and those files use the same codecs as the others.
I don't know why the thumbnailer can't generate thumbnails for them, but it doesn't matter.The thumbnailer should skip them instead of freeze!

Old 01-23-2010, 05:38 PM
Sam Rog

>From: klinger.ofir@gmail.com
>Date: Sat, 23 Jan 2010 18:23:45 +0200
>Subject: Re: kffmpegthumbnailer - call for testing
>To: kubuntu-devel@lists.ubuntu.com

>I check, and those files use the same codecs as the others.
>I don't know why the thumbnailer can't generate thumbnails for them, but it doesn't matter.>The thumbnailer should skip them instead of freeze!

Have you tried with the ffmpegthumbnailer ?
Here with the astarta800.avi from the http://www.tarazaurus.com/ (Astarta's Dance 800 px XVID best 360MB). The*kffmpegthumbnailer can't thumbnail (it is just skipping) it and the ffmpegthumbnailer is telling:
ffmpegthumbnailer -i /media/sda6/test/astarta800.avi -o test.png
[NULL @ 0x91abd20]Invalid and inefficient vfw-avi packed B frames detected
Error: decodeVideoFrame() failed: frame not finished.
It is playing fine and the mplayerthumbs is making thumb from it.

Rog131

Old 01-23-2010, 09:17 PM
Ofir Klinger

I run ffmpegthumbnailer and it telling me:[NULL @ 0x99ffda0]looks like this file was encoded with (divx4/(old)xvid/opendivx) -> forcing low_delay flag
And stuck there until I did Ctrl+C

Old 01-24-2010, 08:28 PM
Andreas Scherf

Hi, today i build kffmpegthumbnailer-1.1.0 anf libffmpegthumbnailer-2.0.0
and my first view is impressive. Fast build of all my videos.
It build the thumbnails for 47 video files in 6 seconds.
And so far i could not find any videos that where not thumbnailed.
Zjr old mplayerthumbnails took 28 seconds to build the thumbs of the same
video files. And i think this is a thumb up for kffmpegthumbnailer. if someone
has problems it would be nice to know if all codecs were installed and which
video causes this problems. Maybee we could fix the thumbnailer if it fails
creating a thumb. But i think the ffmpegthumbnailer is better than the mplayer
one..

If someone needs i could do more tests. I was doing the test on an amd Athlon
x5200 machine with 4gb ram x64 code ...

Greetings
Andreas