Old 01-18-2010, 05:20 PM
Andreas Scherf

Default Wish: replace mplayerthumbs with kffmpegthumbnailer

The mplayer videothumbnails in dolphin are very slow at the moment.
I installed kffmpegthumbnailer and after that, the video thumbnails were created
very fast. It would be nice to have kffmpegthumbnailer as default
videothumbnailer in kde as default option. I did not want tot wait minutes to
display thumbnails in folders which have > 20 videos inside.

Cheers
Andreas

Old 01-18-2010, 06:23 PM
Michał Zając

Dnia poniedziałek 18 stycznia 2010 o 19:20:27 Andreas Scherf napisał(a):
> The mplayer videothumbnails in dolphin are very slow at the moment.
> I installed kffmpegthumbnailer and after that, the video thumbnails were
> created very fast. It would be nice to have kffmpegthumbnailer as default
> videothumbnailer in kde as default option. I did not want tot wait minutes
> to display thumbnails in folders which have > 20 videos inside.
>
> Cheers
> Andreas

Okay, I'm doing this, I will do call for testing when I'm finished. I will
need to update ffmpegthumbnailer as well
--
Michał Zając
xmpp: quintasan@ubuntu.pl

Old 01-18-2010, 06:31 PM
Andreas Scherf

Am Montag, 18. Januar 2010 schrieb Michał Zając:
> Dnia poniedziałek 18 stycznia 2010 o 19:20:27 Andreas Scherf napisał(a):
> > The mplayer videothumbnails in dolphin are very slow at the moment.
> > I installed kffmpegthumbnailer and after that, the video thumbnails were
> > created very fast. It would be nice to have kffmpegthumbnailer as default
> > videothumbnailer in kde as default option. I did not want tot wait
> > minutes to display thumbnails in folders which have > 20 videos inside.
> >
> > Cheers
> > Andreas
>
> Okay, I'm doing this, I will do call for testing when I'm finished. I will
> need to update ffmpegthumbnailer as well
Great. The performance boost is amazing. And i think the thumbs look a little
bit better.
I have installed the kffmpegthumbnailer and it works great.

Thanks
Andreas

Old 01-18-2010, 06:52 PM
Ofir Klinger

kffmpegthumbnailer is missing from repos

Is there an easy way of installing it? (except compiling it from source [the one at kde-apps...])*

Old 01-18-2010, 07:15 PM
Andreas Scherf

Am Montag, 18. Januar 2010 schrieb Ofir Klinger:
> kffmpegthumbnailer is missing from repos
>
> Is there an easy way of installing it? (except compiling it from source
> [the one at kde-apps...])

I used the repositorie from this guy:

http://ppa.launchpad.net/samrog131/ppa/ubuntu

It offers packages for karmic and jaunty.

Hope that helps.
Andreas

Old 01-18-2010, 07:17 PM
Andreev Sergei

https://launchpad.net/~samrog131/+archive/ppa

Old 01-18-2010, 07:20 PM
Ofir Klinger

Are you using*kffmpegthumbnailer-alternative or*kffmpegthumbnailer*?

Old 01-18-2010, 08:56 PM
Andreas Scherf

Too bad. I did not have those problems. I only got the speed up. But maybee we
could change kffmpegplugin to check if a thumb was created or not. Or is that a
ffmpeg problem? would be cool if the thumbnailer could check this case.
But i think on large video collections (youtube ;-) this plugin is a great
thing.

Greetings
Andreas

Am Montag, 18. Januar 2010 schrieben Sie:

Old 01-27-2010, 01:09 PM
Sebastian Kgler

On Monday 18 January 2010 19:20:27 Andreas Scherf wrote:
> The mplayer videothumbnails in dolphin are very slow at the moment.
> I installed kffmpegthumbnailer and after that, the video thumbnails were
> created very fast. It would be nice to have kffmpegthumbnailer as default
> videothumbnailer in kde as default option. I did not want tot wait minutes
> to display thumbnails in folders which have > 20 videos inside.

Looks interesting. Do you know if someone ever attempted to merge it upstream? It
would certainly be nice to have this functionality available in KDE, rather than in
Kubuntu only.

This would also make the decision and maintainance problem inside Kubuntu easier.
--
sebas

Old 01-27-2010, 09:44 PM
Andreas Scherf

Hello,
we talked about this topic and peter penz (dolphin) told me that this is
a packaging thing. Adter that i asked in the kubuntu devel list.
I'm very happy with the kffmpegthumbnailer at the moment. Its really fast and
i think it could be a nice option for kde as well. It boosts large video
thumbnail collections, where mplayer thumbs are very slow.
If there is a need i could try to integrate this thumbnailer into trunk in the
next week. Would it be better to replace mplayer thumbnailing or
having 2 video thumbnailer side by side?

Greetings
Andreas