Old 01-18-2010, 10:59 AM
Claus Appel

Default Criticism of the Kubuntu installer

Dear Kubuntu developers.*

As a new user, having recently installed Kubuntu, I have some criticism of the Kubuntu installer. These are not problems I need help fixing, but rather usability issues that I think could be improved in future releases. I hope you will find the below useful.

1. There is no progress bar when checking the install medium for errors.

2. When choosing where to install, there are only two options: "Use entire disk" and "manual". Basically, there is a "complete n00b" and "expert" level, but no intermediate levels. I suggest adding one or more of the following:

(a) A "replace existing Linux" option, like the Fedora installer has (in Fedoras 9-11, at least).
(b) A "use unpartitioned space" option.
(c) A "replace the following partitions with a default Linux layout".

3. When I get to the end of the wizard, the "forward" button turns into an "install" button. When I press "back", the "install" button should change back to "forward", but no. It keeps saying "install" even though it actually acts as a "forward" button. This is a bug.

4. If I go "back" to the part where I select where to install, it does not let me review the settings I chose last time. Instead, it forces me to start over.

5. When I am done selecting options and the installer is installing, I see a horde of progress bars that come and go. This is not very useful. It would be more useful to have an "overall installation" progress bar. (Even if it is very imprecise, it would be better than nothing.)

6. When installation is in progress, the background (behind the little message box and progress bar) turns white. White is a bad colour IMO, since it uses more energy and puts more strain on the eyes. I would prefer a black background.

Regards,
Claus Appel

Old 01-18-2010, 04:07 PM
Mackenzie Morgan

On Monday 18 January 2010 6:59:49 am Claus Appel wrote:
> 2. When choosing where to install, there are only two options: "Use entire
> disk" and "manual". Basically, there is a "complete n00b" and "expert"
> level, but no intermediate levels. I suggest adding one or more of the
> following:
> (a) A "replace existing Linux" option, like the Fedora installer has (in
> Fedoras 9-11, at least).
> (b) A "use unpartitioned space" option.
> (c) A "replace the following partitions with a default Linux layout".

Wait, we don't have a "dual boot with <slider> *this much* for Kubuntu and th
e rest for the old OS" option like Ubuntu does?

> 6. When installation is in progress, the background (behind the little
> message box and progress bar) turns white. White is a bad colour IMO, since
> it uses more energy and puts more strain on the eyes. I would prefer a
> black background.

The "uses more energy" thing is a myth, at least in the age of LCDs (I guess
if you're talking about an old CRT though...). The backlight has to be on
either way (yes, even to display black) so it doesn't matter. And while I
agree that white is a bit straining as I'm light sensitive, this is something
better solved by lowering your screen brightness. The contrast between a
black background and the rest of the installer could actually cause more
strain for others, so it's kind of a toss-up with the "white is too bright
owie" having an easier solution (lower your screen brightness).

--
Mackenzie Morgan
apt-get moo

Old 01-18-2010, 04:35 PM
Pau Garcia i Quiles

> 6. When installation is in progress, the background (behind the little

> message box and progress bar) turns white. White is a bad colour IMO, since

> it uses more energy and puts more strain on the eyes. I would prefer a

> *black background.

The "uses more energy" thing is a myth, at least in the age of LCDs (I guess

if you're talking about an old CRT though...). *The backlight has to be on

either way (yes, even to display black) so it doesn't matter. *And while I

agree that white is a bit straining as I'm light sensitive, this is something

better solved by lowering your screen brightness. *The contrast between a

black background and the rest of the installer could actually cause more

strain for others, so it's kind of a toss-up with the "white is too bright

owie" having an easier solution (lower your screen brightness).

I would prefer some advertising of the features in Kubuntu, like Ubuntu does. I always assumed showing a white background was a bug in the Kubuntu Karmic installer. I have not tested Lucid yet.

--
Pau Garcia i Quiles
http://www.elpauer.org

Old 01-18-2010, 04:40 PM
Jonathan Riddell

On Mon, Jan 18, 2010 at 12:59:49PM +0100, Claus Appel wrote:
> 1. There is no progress bar when checking the install medium for
> errors.

You mean at boot? Or in Ubiquity?

> 2. When choosing where to install, there are only two options: "Use
> entire disk" and "manual". Basically, there is a "complete n00b" and
> "expert" level, but no intermediate levels. I suggest adding one or
> more of the following:
> (a) A "replace existing Linux" option, like the Fedora installer has
> (in Fedoras 9-11, at least).
> (b) A "use unpartitioned space" option.
> (c) A "replace the following partitions with a default Linux
> layout".

You will be given an option to install alongside existing partitions
if d-i thinks is can shrink the existing partitions, for whatever
reason it must have decided this wasn't possible in your case.

> 3. When I get to the end of the wizard, the "forward" button turns
> into an "install" button. When I press "back", the "install" button
> should change back to "forward", but no. It keeps saying "install"
> even though it actually acts as a "forward" button. This is a
> bug.

Sounds like a bug, please report to launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/ubiquity

> 4. If I go "back" to the part where I select where to install, it does
> not let me review the settings I chose last time. Instead, it forces
> me to start over.

Likewise

> 5. When I am done selecting options and the installer is installing, I
> see a horde of progress bars that come and go. This is not very
> useful. It would be more useful to have an "overall installation"
> progress bar. (Even if it is very imprecise, it would be better than
> nothing.)

It does try to only show one progress bar but maybe something
changed. You could report a bug, the Ubiquity team are pleasingly
good at their bug triage.

> 6. When installation is in progress, the background (behind the little
> message box and progress bar) turns white. White is a bad colour IMO,
> since it uses more energy and puts more strain on the eyes. I would
> prefer a black background.

This is also a bug, it should be set to the default wallpaper but that
changes each release and something wasn't updated, please report a bug
on casper.

(And as noted, white screens are most efficient on LCDs.)

Jonathan