Old 01-15-2010, 07:21 PM
Richard JOHNSON

Default (Kubuntu 10.04) Memory usage unreasonable high?

I fired up Kubuntu, opened Konqueror, Kate, and Konsole. Browsed a couple
of websites, in kate I wrote hello world and saved, in Konsole I compiled
hello world and ran it, then ran free.

Total Used Free
---------------------------------
1999 1011 988

Then I fired up Ubuntu on this same machine, opened Firefox, gedit, and
terminal, and did the same exact things, and got an interesting output from
free:

Total Used Free
---------------------------------
1999 1101 898

Look at used, it is used from Kubuntu just reversed. That was kind of cool,
sorry if you didn't find it interesting I am willing to bet the 1101
from Ubuntu is more than likely because of Firefox.

Here is an even cooler thing, never take these numbers at face value
because of the way the kernel allots memory.

--
Name| Richard JOHNSON
Title| Developer
WWW| http://www.ubuntu.com
Email| nixternal@ubuntu.com
GnuPG| 3578 0981 A21D D662 2A96 7623 F4C1 838C D8C4 4738

Old 01-15-2010, 09:29 PM
Mackenzie Morgan

On Friday 15 January 2010 1:14:07 pm Tomas Gustavsson wrote:
> So are you saying that there ain't any practical way of knowing how much
> memory an application is using? And is it possible somehow to hide memory
> from the system? Let's assume that I wanna try and see how the system
> behaves with just 512 MiB of memory or so?

Boot with "mem=512m" in your kernel boot line to test how 512MiB would behave.

--
Mackenzie Morgan
apt-get moo