Old 01-15-2010, 04:58 PM
Tomas Gustavsson

Default (Kubuntu 10.04) Memory usage unreasonable high?

Is it just me or is the memory usage of Kubuntu 10.04 unreasonable
high? I know that it's still in the alpha stages but it seems a little
too high here. If I disregard Konqueror from the total memory usage
it's still around 750 MiB (stabilised to 720 after 10 mins or so), out
of 2.9GiB according to ksysguard.

I know that KDE may be more for "power users" then GNOME is, but still
something must be wrong if Kubuntu draws almost 3 times the memory
compared to Ubuntu. Or is it that KDE somehow reserves more memory
then GNOME and doesn't actually uses 750MiB of my memory?

There's no doubt in my mind that Kubuntu is becoming a better every
day, but there must be a healthy balance between the resource usage
and the functionalities.

Old 01-15-2010, 05:09 PM
Tomas Gustavsson

Is it just me or is the memory usage of Kubuntu 10.04 unreasonable

high? I know that it's still in the alpha stages but it seems a little

too high here. If I disregard Konqueror from the total memory usage

it's still around 750 MiB (stabilised to 720 after 10 mins or so), out

of 2.9GiB according to ksysguard.

I know that KDE may be more for "power users" then GNOME is, but still

something must be wrong if Kubuntu draws almost 3 times the memory

compared to Ubuntu. Or is it that KDE somehow reserves more memory

then GNOME and doesn't actually uses 750MiB of my memory?

There's no doubt in my mind that Kubuntu is becoming a better every

day, but there must be a healthy balance between the resource usage

and the functionalities.

I just want to clarify a few things, I installed Kubuntu 10.04 (Alpha 2) just an hour ago or so. I haven't installed any extra software or activated any 3d drivers or desktop effects. More or less an untouched installation.

Old 01-15-2010, 05:10 PM
Jonathan Thomas

On Fri 15 Jan 2010 12:58:39 pm Tomas Gustavsson wrote:
> Is it just me or is the memory usage of Kubuntu 10.04
unreasonable
> high? I know that it's still in the alpha stages but it seems
a little
> too high here. If I disregard Konqueror from the total memory
usage
> it's still around 750 MiB (stabilised to 720 after 10 mins or
so), out
> of 2.9GiB according to ksysguard.

Linux uses unused memory as a cache, so high or near-full RAM
usage is a sign that the kernel is doing it's job properly and
is efficiently using your RAM to make your applications faster.
If an application needs more RAM, it will dump some of the cache
and the application will be able to use this newly-freed RAM.

So, don't take the RAM usage numbers you see to mean that
Kubuntu is taking an unholy amount of memory. There's no point
in having memory sit around doing nothing, and if an application
needs more RAM the kernel will simply use less for the cache and
give the application more RAM when it requests it.

> I know that KDE may be more for "power users" then GNOME is,
but still
> something must be wrong if Kubuntu draws almost 3 times the
memory
> compared to Ubuntu. Or is it that KDE somehow reserves more
memory
> then GNOME and doesn't actually uses 750MiB of my memory?
>
> There's no doubt in my mind that Kubuntu is becoming a better
every
> day, but there must be a healthy balance between the resource
usage
> and the functionalities.

GNOME behaves this way in regards to memory usage too, but due
to differences in every single tool ever created to view RAM
usage, numbers are often different between all the tools, and
can be quite a bit misleading. KInfoCenter may help a bit here,
as it's Memory section gives details about how memory is divided
up into stuff that applications are using, stuff the system is
using for caching, etc.

Hope this helps,
Jonathan Thomas

Old 01-15-2010, 05:14 PM
Tomas Gustavsson

2010/1/15 Jonathan Thomas <echidnaman@gmail.com>

On Fri 15 Jan 2010 12:58:39 pm Tomas Gustavsson wrote:

> Is it just me or is the memory usage of Kubuntu 10.04

unreasonable

> high? I know that it's still in the alpha stages but it seems

a little

> too high here. If I disregard Konqueror from the total memory

usage

> it's still around 750 MiB (stabilised to 720 after 10 mins or

so), out

> of 2.9GiB according to ksysguard.

Linux uses unused memory as a cache, so high or near-full RAM

usage is a sign that the kernel is doing it's job properly and

is efficiently using your RAM to make your applications faster.

If an application needs more RAM, it will dump some of the cache

and the application will be able to use this newly-freed RAM.

So, don't take the RAM usage numbers you see to mean that

Kubuntu is taking an unholy amount of memory. There's no point

in having memory sit around doing nothing, and if an application

needs more RAM the kernel will simply use less for the cache and

give the application more RAM when it requests it.

> I know that KDE may be more for "power users" then GNOME is,

but still

> something must be wrong if Kubuntu draws almost 3 times the

memory

> compared to Ubuntu. Or is it that KDE somehow reserves more

memory

> then GNOME and doesn't actually uses 750MiB of my memory?

> There's no doubt in my mind that Kubuntu is becoming a better

every

> day, but there must be a healthy balance between the resource

usage

> and the functionalities.

GNOME behaves this way in regards to memory usage too, but due

to differences in every single tool ever created to view RAM

usage, numbers are often different between all the tools, and

can be quite a bit misleading. KInfoCenter may help a bit here,

as it's Memory section gives details about how memory is divided

up into stuff that applications are using, stuff the system is

using for caching, etc.

Hope this helps,

Jonathan Thomas

So are you saying that there ain't any practical way of knowing how much memory an application is using? And is it possible somehow to hide memory from the system? Let's assume that I wanna try and see how the system behaves with just 512 MiB of memory or so?

Old 01-15-2010, 05:15 PM
Tomas Gustavsson

2010/1/15 Tomas Gustavsson <tomplast@gmail.com>

2010/1/15 Jonathan Thomas <echidnaman@gmail.com>

On Fri 15 Jan 2010 12:58:39 pm Tomas Gustavsson wrote:

> Is it just me or is the memory usage of Kubuntu 10.04

unreasonable

> high? I know that it's still in the alpha stages but it seems

a little

> too high here. If I disregard Konqueror from the total memory

usage

> it's still around 750 MiB (stabilised to 720 after 10 mins or

so), out

> of 2.9GiB according to ksysguard.

Linux uses unused memory as a cache, so high or near-full RAM

usage is a sign that the kernel is doing it's job properly and

is efficiently using your RAM to make your applications faster.

If an application needs more RAM, it will dump some of the cache

and the application will be able to use this newly-freed RAM.

So, don't take the RAM usage numbers you see to mean that

Kubuntu is taking an unholy amount of memory. There's no point

in having memory sit around doing nothing, and if an application

needs more RAM the kernel will simply use less for the cache and

give the application more RAM when it requests it.

> I know that KDE may be more for "power users" then GNOME is,

but still

> something must be wrong if Kubuntu draws almost 3 times the

memory

> compared to Ubuntu. Or is it that KDE somehow reserves more

memory

> then GNOME and doesn't actually uses 750MiB of my memory?

> There's no doubt in my mind that Kubuntu is becoming a better

every

> day, but there must be a healthy balance between the resource

usage

> and the functionalities.

GNOME behaves this way in regards to memory usage too, but due

to differences in every single tool ever created to view RAM

usage, numbers are often different between all the tools, and

can be quite a bit misleading. KInfoCenter may help a bit here,

as it's Memory section gives details about how memory is divided

up into stuff that applications are using, stuff the system is

using for caching, etc.

Hope this helps,

Jonathan Thomas

So are you saying that there ain't any practical way of knowing how much memory an application is using? And is it possible somehow to hide memory from the system? Let's assume that I wanna try and see how the system behaves with just 512 MiB of memory or so?

Sorry I missed that about KInfoCenter *embarred*. I need to slow down here