Old 01-12-2010, 02:48 AM
Jonathan Jesse

Default frustrations w/ KDE 4.4

Good evening,
I am currently running the KDE 4.4 RC packages and would like to report some of the frustrations that I am having with my system...
1. *plasma-desktop does not start automatically: *Every time I login/restart my computer I am forced to manually start plasma-desktop. *I've noticed that Lucid does not have this problem. *The problem started w/ KDE 4.4 Beta 2 and continues in the RC

2. *plasma-desktop crashes continuously: *I don't know exactly what is going on here but it seems no matter what I am doing plasma-desktop crashes and I get a friendly notification. *I've noticed this can happen when I am not doing anything or when I using it pretty heavily.

3. *krunner crashes: *krunner (alt+f2) crashes every other time I launch the application... it often crashes when I'm trying to launch plasma-desktop to get started
4. *notifications: For some reason after a restart today my notifications are taking up almost the entire bottom third of my screen. *for example when i receive a notification from quassel it takes up the entire taskbar area...

While it seems like quite the improvement, layout wise, usability, etc there is too much going wrong that a large part of me wishes I could go back to KDE 4.3 and a fresh install of Kubuntu.

BTW Lucid looks a lot better

Old 01-12-2010, 03:06 AM
Richard JOHNSON

On Mon, Jan 11, 2010 at 10:48:32PM -0500, Jonathan Jesse wrote:
> Good evening,
>
> I am currently running the KDE 4.4 RC packages and would like to report some
> of the frustrations that I am having with my system...
>
> 1. plasma-desktop does not start automatically: Every time I login/restart
> my computer I am forced to manually start plasma-desktop. I've noticed that
> Lucid does not have this problem. The problem started w/ KDE 4.4 Beta 2 and
> continues in the RC

Lucid or Karmic? I am on Karmic and it has been flawless in this reguard.

> 2. plasma-desktop crashes continuously: I don't know exactly what is going
> on here but it seems no matter what I am doing plasma-desktop crashes and I
> get a friendly notification. I've noticed this can happen when I am not
> doing anything or when I using it pretty heavily.

Haven't had a crash yet with Karmic and 4.4 RC 1

> 3. krunner crashes: krunner (alt+f2) crashes every other time I launch the
> application... it often crashes when I'm trying to launch plasma-desktop to
> get started

You have to delete ~/.kde/share/config/krunnerrc to get this one to stop. I
was getting this until I nixed that file the other day. No crashes since
then, well maybe one, but not like every other one, much better now.

> 4. notifications: For some reason after a restart today my notifications
> are taking up almost the entire bottom third of my screen. for example when
> i receive a notification from quassel it takes up the entire taskbar area...

You need to shut off some of the notifications, I am guessing you are
seeing kglobal shortcut key notifications? I don't know if this is still
default, but it shouldn't be, and this was filling up my screen previously
as well, until I turned them off.

--
Name| Richard JOHNSON
Title| Developer
WWW| http://www.ubuntu.com
Email| nixternal@ubuntu.com
GnuPG| 3578 0981 A21D D662 2A96 7623 F4C1 838C D8C4 4738

Old 01-12-2010, 03:14 AM
Luke Monahan

Hi,

On Tuesday 12 January 2010 14:48:32 Jonathan Jesse wrote:
> 1. plasma-desktop does not start automatically: Every time I
> login/restart my computer I am forced to manually start plasma-desktop.
> I've noticed that Lucid does not have this problem. The problem started
> w/ KDE 4.4 Beta 2 and continues in the RC
>
> 2. plasma-desktop crashes continuously: I don't know exactly what is
> going on here but it seems no matter what I am doing plasma-desktop
> crashes and I get a friendly notification. I've noticed this can happen
> when I am not doing anything or when I using it pretty heavily.

I found some themes crash a lot, as they are not updated for 4.4. Using the
default (oxygen) has been much more pleasant. I would guess some widgets may
be the same.

At a last resort, I would blow away the entire plasma configuration.

On Tuesday 12 January 2010 15:06:18 Richard JOHNSON wrote:
> You have to delete ~/.kde/share/config/krunnerrc to get this one to stop. I
> was getting this until I nixed that file the other day. No crashes since
> then, well maybe one, but not like every other one, much better now.

Thanks... that seems to have fixed it for me!

Luke.

Old 01-12-2010, 04:27 AM
Mackenzie Morgan

On Monday 11 January 2010 11:06:18 pm Richard JOHNSON wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 11, 2010 at 10:48:32PM -0500, Jonathan Jesse wrote:
> > Good evening,
> >
> > I am currently running the KDE 4.4 RC packages and would like to report
> > some of the frustrations that I am having with my system...
> >
> > 1. plasma-desktop does not start automatically: Every time I
> > login/restart my computer I am forced to manually start plasma-desktop.
> > I've noticed that Lucid does not have this problem. The problem started
> > w/ KDE 4.4 Beta 2 and continues in the RC
>
> Lucid or Karmic? I am on Karmic and it has been flawless in this reguard.

Given what Jonathan said, I'm going to guess "not Lucid" ;-)

--
Mackenzie Morgan
apt-get moo

Old 01-12-2010, 04:41 AM
Ofir Klinger

I found that Fancy Tasks, STasks and Smooth Tasks*can and will crash plasma workspace.
After removing them via PackageKit everything came back to normal (except crashes of NetworkManager and plasma workspace on logout).

Old 01-12-2010, 06:27 AM
Tomasz Czapiewski