Old 01-11-2010, 12:03 AM
Richard JOHNSON

Default Use the list

Something I meant to add to my last, probably way to big for many to care
about, email, I wanted to add this:

If you are making large changes to anything, it would be nice if this list
was utilized to communicate the changes. Reading IRC back scroll isn't on
my agenda, plus I only have it go so many lines with irssi, as to not fill
up, and going through logs is a bit tedious at times. Everyone uses good
changelogs when uploading to bzr, but it would be nice to have the
information handy in one place. This way here, those who follow this list
but maybe do not follow bzr commits or IRC, can kind of see what is going
on.

What do you think?

--
Name| Richard JOHNSON
Title| Developer
WWW| http://www.ubuntu.com
Email| nixternal@ubuntu.com
GnuPG| 3578 0981 A21D D662 2A96 7623 F4C1 838C D8C4 4738

Old 01-13-2010, 08:17 AM
Harald Sitter

Am Montag, 11. Januar 2010 02:03:13 schrieb Richard JOHNSON:
> What do you think?

+1

Also, this would enable non-developers to contribute to the Ubuntu team
reports documenting latest movement in the Kubuntu area for those who are
interested...

--
Harald Sitter
Kubuntu Core Developer

Old 01-13-2010, 01:58 PM
"Roderick B. Greening"

> Something I meant to add to my last, probably way to big for many to care
> about, email, I wanted to add this:
>
> If you are making large changes to anything, it would be nice if this list
> was utilized to communicate the changes. Reading IRC back scroll isn't on
> my agenda, plus I only have it go so many lines with irssi, as to not fill
> up, and going through logs is a bit tedious at times. Everyone uses good
> changelogs when uploading to bzr, but it would be nice to have the
> information handy in one place. This way here, those who follow this list
> but maybe do not follow bzr commits or IRC, can kind of see what is going
> on.
>
> What do you think?

It would be nice if we had a way to have the bzr commits to automagically get
posted to the list... (reduce duplication of effort and forces us to commit
sane and politically correct comments in bzr).

_______________________________________
Roderick B. Greening, B.Sc.
Paradise, NL Canada
E-mail/MSN: roderick.greening@gmail.com
LP: launchpad.net/~roderick-greening
Wiki: wiki.ubuntu.com/rgreening
Blog: roderick-greening.blogspot.com
Twitter: twitter.com/rgreening
Identica: identi.ca/rgreening

Old 01-13-2010, 02:15 PM
Harald Sitter

Am Mittwoch, 13. Januar 2010 15:58:54 schrieb Roderick B. Greening:
> > Something I meant to add to my last, probably way to big for many to care
> > about, email, I wanted to add this:
> >
> > If you are making large changes to anything, it would be nice if this
> > list was utilized to communicate the changes. Reading IRC back scroll
> > isn't on my agenda, plus I only have it go so many lines with irssi, as
> > to not fill up, and going through logs is a bit tedious at times.
> > Everyone uses good changelogs when uploading to bzr, but it would be
> > nice to have the information handy in one place. This way here, those
> > who follow this list but maybe do not follow bzr commits or IRC, can
> > kind of see what is going on.
> >
> > What do you think?
>
> It would be nice if we had a way to have the bzr commits to automagically
> get posted to the list... (reduce duplication of effort and forces us to
> commit sane and politically correct comments in bzr).

That might even be possible since launchpad does have a watch-branch-for-
commits-feature, question is just if it will not be too high volume. Though if
we restrict it to core KDE I suppose we would be good ... that is if everyone
is willing to read that kind of mails anyway

Question: seperate list or kubuntu-devel?

--
Harald Sitter
Kubuntu Core Developer

Old 01-13-2010, 02:19 PM
Jonathan Thomas

On Wed 13 Jan 2010 10:15:48 am Harald Sitter wrote:
> Am Mittwoch, 13. Januar 2010 15:58:54 schrieb Roderick B.
Greening:
> > > Something I meant to add to my last, probably way to big
for many to
> > > care about, email, I wanted to add this:
> > >
> > > If you are making large changes to anything, it would be
nice if this
> > > list was utilized to communicate the changes. Reading IRC
back scroll
> > > isn't on my agenda, plus I only have it go so many lines
with irssi, as
> > > to not fill up, and going through logs is a bit tedious at
times.
> > > Everyone uses good changelogs when uploading to bzr, but
it would be
> > > nice to have the information handy in one place. This way
here, those
> > > who follow this list but maybe do not follow bzr commits
or IRC, can
> > > kind of see what is going on.
> > >
> > > What do you think?
> >
> > It would be nice if we had a way to have the bzr commits to
automagically
> > get posted to the list... (reduce duplication of effort and
forces us to
> > commit sane and politically correct comments in bzr).
>
> That might even be possible since launchpad does have a watch-
branch-for-
> commits-feature, question is just if it will not be too high
volume. Though
> if we restrict it to core KDE I suppose we would be good ...
that is if
> everyone is willing to read that kind of mails anyway

I don't think it would be too terribly high volume at all. On
normal weeks we might be 3-5 commits, with perhaps 20 or so on
weeks with KDE releases.

> Question: seperate list or kubuntu-devel?

I'd personally be fine with having the commit mails come through
on kubuntu-devel myself.

Jonathan

Old 01-13-2010, 02:26 PM
"Roderick B. Greening"

> I don't think it would be too terribly high volume at all. On
> normal weeks we might be 3-5 commits, with perhaps 20 or so on
> weeks with KDE releases.
>
> > Question: seperate list or kubuntu-devel?
>
> I'd personally be fine with having the commit mails come through
> on kubuntu-devel myself.
>
> Jonathan

Or we could have a kubuntu-devel-commits (or similar) list. But yeah, that
would be cool to enable that feature.
_______________________________________

Old 01-13-2010, 02:43 PM
Richard JOHNSON

On Wed, Jan 13, 2010 at 04:15:48PM +0100, Harald Sitter wrote:
[...]
> That might even be possible since launchpad does have a watch-branch-for-
> commits-feature, question is just if it will not be too high volume. Though if
> we restrict it to core KDE I suppose we would be good ... that is if everyone
> is willing to read that kind of mails anyway
>
> Question: seperate list or kubuntu-devel?

kubuntu-devel.

Hey, I am sure we can add a trigger for our bzr commits like we do in KDE.
In the commit changelog we could add
"CCMAIL:kubuntu-devel@lists.ubuntu.com" or there might be a way to trigger
it with something like:

bzr ci -kubuntu

I will look into this. This way not every commit message makes its way
here.

Now if we want every commit like we do with ubuntu-docs, then a new list
would be ideal.

--
Name| Richard JOHNSON
Title| Developer

Old 01-13-2010, 02:48 PM
Harald Sitter

Am Mittwoch, 13. Januar 2010 16:26:49 schrieb Roderick B. Greening:
> Or we could have a kubuntu-devel-commits (or similar) list. But yeah, that
> would be cool to enable that feature.

IMHO a seperate list would be best, also, if we decide to watch every commit
via the available LP feature, we probably should create a LP team for that,
then we could just use LP mailinglist functionallity.

--
Harald Sitter
Kubuntu Core Developer

Old 01-13-2010, 02:52 PM
Harald Sitter

Am Mittwoch, 13. Januar 2010 16:43:26 schrieb Richard JOHNSON:
> Hey, I am sure we can add a trigger for our bzr commits like we do in KDE.
> In the commit changelog we could add
> "CCMAIL:kubuntu-devel@lists.ubuntu.com" or there might be a way to trigger
> it with something like:

That should be fairly easy with BZR plugins, but, since we cannot implement
this on the server side it would require each dev to have an appropriate
setup, and you know my POV on that kind of overhead
Though generally I agree that CCMAILing would be useful, even if we create a
seperate list and direct all core KDE commits to that it still would be good
to use some kind of CCMAIL tag for all other branches ... like when someone
does a change to firefox that affects Kubuntu one could use CCMAIL there. That
of course, as usual, does depend on LP/bzr implementing something for global
use.

--
Harald Sitter
Kubuntu Core Developer

Old 01-13-2010, 03:56 PM
Richard JOHNSON

On Wed, Jan 13, 2010 at 04:52:11PM +0100, Harald Sitter wrote:
[...]
> That should be fairly easy with BZR plugins, but, since we cannot implement
> this on the server side it would require each dev to have an appropriate
> setup, and you know my POV on that kind of overhead
> Though generally I agree that CCMAILing would be useful, even if we create a
> seperate list and direct all core KDE commits to that it still would be good
> to use some kind of CCMAIL tag for all other branches ... like when someone
> does a change to firefox that affects Kubuntu one could use CCMAIL there. That
> of course, as usual, does depend on LP/bzr implementing something for global
> use.

File a bug report

--
Name| Richard JOHNSON