Old 01-05-2010, 07:24 AM
Yiannis Belias

Default benchmarks

Hi all,
Just FYI. There is a new benchmark at phoronix here:
http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=sabayon_51_benchmarks&n um=1
It's Sabayon against Kubuntu, quite interesting.

Cheers,
Yiannis

Old 01-08-2010, 11:47 AM
Sebastian Kügler

On Tuesday 05 January 2010 09:24:18 Yiannis Belias wrote:
> Just FYI. There is a new benchmark at phoronix here:
> http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=sabayon_51_benchmarks&n u
> m=1 It's Sabayon against Kubuntu, quite interesting.

Actually, I think it's not quite so interesting. There's not benchmark for "desktop
interactivity" which we're suffering from with various video drivers, nothing that
benchmarks Qt's (painting performance), and so on. It's just a couple of games and
CPU intensive programs (like 7zip). I guess the games differences are due to
different video driver versions, but they're certainly not very relevant to desktop
performance (not even compositing).

I generally find the benchmarks at Phoronix not too interesting, as they're just
running a bunch of seemingly randomly selected programs and come up with numbers.
Maybe better than nothing, but to me as a developer, no more than *shrug*.

IOW, don't put too much value in it.
--
sebas

Old 01-08-2010, 06:28 PM
Tomasz Czapiewski

[...]

Could you post it to Phoronix? You're not alone, many Kubuntu (and
KDE) users might be interrested in benchmarks like you've said.
I think that at Phoronix they can do many other (better) benchmarks or put
some more needed tests in Phoronix Test Suite.

--
xeros--