Old 01-02-2010, 04:38 PM
Zorael

Default Logic error in (4.4b2) Xsetup

Hiho,

I'm running 9.10 with 4.4b2 packages from the kubuntu-ppa/beta ppa. I
have my machine set up to not login automatically, but kdm still
displays ksplashx before showing the greeter. So I had a look at
/etc/kde4/kdm/Xsetup, which looks like the following after removing
comments;

if ! grep -q ^AutoLoginEnable=true /etc/kde4/kdm/kdmrc; then
ksplashx Default &
fi

The logic there translates to "if autologin is disabled, display
ksplashx". (^ doesn't negate)

Shouldn't it be the other way around? To make it only display ksplashx
if autologin is enabled?

Zorael

Old 01-04-2010, 01:39 AM
Jeremy Wilkins

* This Xsetup file actually exists prior to KDE 4.4b2 on 9.10.* I have KDE 4.3.4 with the very same lines.* I believe it was a way to make the KDM greeter seem like a part of the startup process, hide the long KDM startup delay and after login the splash continues.* KDM is supposed to kill the splash screen automatically once it starts.* Correct me if I'm wrong.* I don't think autologin requires the spash to be run since it shows the splash on its own.

On the other hand, I think It is also a very hackish way of testing for AutoLoginEnable since any case/character or space mismatch will fail to evaluate entirely.* For instance if the true were True that wouldn't work.* It would also fail if the line started with a space.* Theoretically neither would happen as long as you are using the current programs to set auto login, but the rc file should be parsed as variables properly to ensure a future proof setup where a mild space wouldn't clow up the whole setup.

Old 01-04-2010, 08:46 AM
Zorael

>> If it could not find AutoLoginEnable=true then show ksplash...
> I believe it was a way to make the KDM
> greeter seem like a part of the startup process, hide the long KDM startup
> delay and after login the splash continues.* KDM is supposed to kill the
> splash screen automatically once it starts.* Correct me if I'm wrong.* I
> don't think autologin requires the spash to be run since it shows the splash
> on its own.

Yeah, as I understand it ksplashx is supposed to kick in if autologin
is enabled, and give the illusion that the (user) desktop is being
loaded earlier than it really is.

To illustrate, and at the peril of falling victim to non-monospace
fonts (copy into yon kwrite);

auto: ksplashx > ksplash > desktop
normal: greeter > ksplash > desktop

The current logic turns it around and only triggers when autologin is
disabled (or technically case-sensitive "not true"). You don't get
ksplashx when autologin is enabled, so its mission (to make X startup
look like it's faster than it is) fails. You do get ksplashx when not
using autologin, making the splash flash for a second before the login
screen pops up.

auto: ksplash > desktop
normal: ksplashx > greeter > ksplash > desktop

If I remove the negating exclamation mark, it behaves as it should.
"If autologin then ksplashx."

Zorael

Old 01-04-2010, 07:44 PM
Yuriy Kozlov

On Mon, Jan 4, 2010 at 4:46 AM, Zorael <zorael@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> If it could not find AutoLoginEnable=true then show ksplash...
>> I believe it was a way to make the KDM
>> greeter seem like a part of the startup process, hide the long KDM startup
>> delay and after login the splash continues.* KDM is supposed to kill the
>> splash screen automatically once it starts.* Correct me if I'm wrong.* I
>> don't think autologin requires the spash to be run since it shows the splash
>> on its own.
>
> Yeah, as I understand it ksplashx is supposed to kick in if autologin
> is enabled, and give the illusion that the (user) desktop is being
> loaded earlier than it really is.
>

> To illustrate, and at the peril of falling victim to non-monospace
> fonts (copy into yon kwrite);
>
> auto: * * *ksplashx > * * * * * ksplash > desktop
> normal: * * * * * * * greeter > ksplash > desktop
>
> The current logic turns it around and only triggers when autologin is
> disabled (or technically case-sensitive "not true"). You don't get
> ksplashx when autologin is enabled, so its mission (to make X startup
> look like it's faster than it is) fails. You do get ksplashx when not
> using autologin, making the splash flash for a second before the login
> screen pops up.
>
> auto: * * * * * * * * * * * * * ksplash > desktop
> normal: * *ksplashx > greeter > ksplash > desktop
>

> If I remove the negating exclamation mark, it behaves as it should.
> "If autologin then ksplashx."
>

> Zorael

The last "normal" behavior you list is intentional. I think it
probably makes sense to display ksplashx on autologin as well to, as
you said, make it look like the user desktop is getting loaded
earlier. So I don't know what the check is for -- maybe that caused
too much flickering on autologin or something like that.

~ Yuriy

Old 01-04-2010, 08:29 PM
Zorael

> The last "normal" behavior you list is intentional. *I think it
> probably makes sense to display ksplashx on autologin as well to, as
> you said, make it look like the user desktop is getting loaded
> earlier. *So I don't know what the check is for -- maybe that caused
> too much flickering on autologin or something like that.
>
> ~ Yuriy

Curious. Since the ksplashx is identical to the ksplash, I thought
they were meant to seamlessly blend into eachother when automatically
logging in. (To verify their sameness, try making a symlink of the
Default directory /usr/share/kde4/apps/ksplash/Themes/ to Blargh, and
then run 'ksplashx Blargh --test'.)

As it is now, when on manual login it looks like it's loading the
desktop, then takes a step backwards to the login screen, then again
like it's loading the desktop, then finishes.

Bear with me one last time. To illustrate differently, imagine for the
sake of the argument that the greeter had the text 'Hello, please
login', the ksplashx had the text 'Ok, loading desktop!', the normal
ksplash likewise (since they are identical), and the desktop merely
'Desktop'. The current order would make it;

'Ok, loading desktop!' -> 'Hello, please login' -> 'Ok, loading
desktop!' -> 'Desktop'.

It would have made sense if the ksplashx wasn't identical to the
ksplash. Try running 'ksplashx Default --test', and imagine it popping
up before the login screen does.

I hope you understand where I'm coming from, even if I'm just
misunderstanding the design.

Zorael