Old 01-01-2010, 08:54 PM
Roman Shtylman

Default default kde menu icon

Yes, I am gonna drag this dead horse up one more time so we can kill it again

Just as the KDE project feels that branding is important to them,
likewise Kubuntu should feel the same way. I know that we have
constantly prided ourselves on shipping upstream KDE, and that doesn't
need to change. But lets not kid ourselves. The small tweaks we make
to the default settings are part of what make Kubuntu... well Kubuntu.
And getting that image across is half the battle. That isn't to say
that we should be annoying in our advertising of Kubuntu, but I do
think that we should have at least the logo their by default (and not
just in the boot up sequence). A logo is a very strong thing. It is
what most people associate with your image and we want to have a good
image

I know we included the alternate kde menu icon in the last cycle and I
think that was a great thing. I modified it a bit and am currently
using it to see how it works with various backgrounds. It aims to be
simple and not obtrusive. Clearly the users of our distro will know
that they are using Kubuntu...and will learn that they are using KDE,
but what we want (imho) is for people to see a user on their computer
and go... wow... what is that (referring to the awesomeness of kde)
and then see the Kubuntu icon and make the association to Kubuntu.

If we choose not to change the default icon we should look at
keeping the alternate icon for those users that do venture to change
defaults and might happen upon ours

Try it yourself: http://apt.shtylman.com/stuff/kubuntu-menu.tar.gz

$0.02

~Roman

Old 01-01-2010, 10:12 PM
Tres Finocchiaro

Roman,

Can you link a hosted screenshot or two?

-Tres

--
- Tres.Finocchiaro@gmail.com

Old 01-01-2010, 10:52 PM
Roman Shtylman

http://apt.shtylman.com/stuff/kubuntu.png

~Roman

Old 01-02-2010, 01:29 AM
Alessandro Ghersi

In data Friday 01 January 2010 22:54:29, Roman Shtylman ha scritto:
: > Yes, I am gonna drag this dead horse up one more time so we can kill it
> again
>
> Just as the KDE project feels that branding is important to them,
> likewise Kubuntu should feel the same way. I know that we have
> constantly prided ourselves on shipping upstream KDE, and that doesn't
> need to change. But lets not kid ourselves. The small tweaks we make
> to the default settings are part of what make Kubuntu... well Kubuntu.
> And getting that image across is half the battle. That isn't to say
> that we should be annoying in our advertising of Kubuntu, but I do
> think that we should have at least the logo their by default (and not
> just in the boot up sequence). A logo is a very strong thing. It is
> what most people associate with your image and we want to have a good
> image
>
> I know we included the alternate kde menu icon in the last cycle and I
> think that was a great thing. I modified it a bit and am currently
> using it to see how it works with various backgrounds. It aims to be
> simple and not obtrusive. Clearly the users of our distro will know
> that they are using Kubuntu...and will learn that they are using KDE,
> but what we want (imho) is for people to see a user on their computer
> and go... wow... what is that (referring to the awesomeness of kde)
> and then see the Kubuntu icon and make the association to Kubuntu.
>
> If we choose not to change the default icon we should look at
> keeping the alternate icon for those users that do venture to change
> defaults and might happen upon ours
>
> Try it yourself: http://apt.shtylman.com/stuff/kubuntu-menu.tar.gz
>
> $0.02
>
> ~Roman

Hi, an user (Frankie90) from ubuntu-it forum has posted that for Kickoff icon
(drew himself) :
http://forum.ubuntu-it.org/index.php/topic,334605.msg2608114.html#msg2608114

It's here http://rapidshare.com/files/322232256/kubuntu-start-here.tar.gz.html

Btw he created also these wallpapers: (they are remaking of known wallpapers):

http://upload.centerzone.it/viewer.php?file=3mu5308aj2qpaghbfy9e.png
http://upload.centerzone.it/viewer.php?file=3h7rnhaj7kvdnfl5e3c.png
http://upload.centerzone.it/viewer.php?file=46blu0u6ar2eic867wv.jpg
http://upload.centerzone.it/viewer.php?file=342kuqaict9vbkufufgh.png

Regards
Lex

Old 01-02-2010, 02:12 AM
Richard JOHNSON

On Fri, Jan 01, 2010 at 06:52:40PM -0500, Roman Shtylman wrote:
> http://apt.shtylman.com/stuff/kubuntu.png

I will actually admit that I like that style, it looks really good and
clean.

--
Name| Richard JOHNSON
Title| Developer
WWW| http://www.ubuntu.com
Email| nixternal@ubuntu.com
GnuPG| 3578 0981 A21D D662 2A96 7623 F4C1 838C D8C4 4738

Old 01-02-2010, 02:14 AM
Richard JOHNSON

On Sat, Jan 02, 2010 at 03:29:26AM +0100, Alessandro Ghersi wrote:
[...]
> Hi, an user (Frankie90) from ubuntu-it forum has posted that for Kickoff icon
> (drew himself) :
> http://forum.ubuntu-it.org/index.php/topic,334605.msg2608114.html#msg2608114
>
> It's here http://rapidshare.com/files/322232256/kubuntu-start-here.tar.gz.html

Haven't been much of a fan of the Vista style buttons.

> Btw he created also these wallpapers: (they are remaking of known wallpapers):

[...]
> http://upload.centerzone.it/viewer.php?file=3h7rnhaj7kvdnfl5e3c.png

I really like this one, especially if the Kubuntu logo was a bit larger.
> http://upload.centerzone.it/viewer.php?file=46blu0u6ar2eic867wv.jpg

This one reminds me of the Fedora wallpapers from a couple of years back,
but it is still nice nonetheless. I really like that first one though
above.

--
Name| Richard JOHNSON
Title| Developer

Old 01-02-2010, 02:26 AM
Tres Finocchiaro

Roman,

Thanks for the screenshot.

I do not think the Kubuntu icon looks good at small sizes, and therefor I do not think it can easily be made to look good for the K button.

I think this is because at small sizes, the small gears look like blurred snowflakes, which makes the icon difficult to distinguish at small sizes.

In this case Roman has added an outer glow to the logo to increase contrast around the edges of the logo.* I feel strongly that outer glow should be used in moderation, and in this case I do not think it compliments the polished look of the AIR or Oxygen desktop themes.

I will suggest (although off-topic) using a logo that does not use the gears in such a small instance.* Of course, I think this wouldn't fly as it is not the official logo.

However, I think a modified version of the original logo would be much more distinguishable as a K button, similar to the polished look of the gnome's Ubuntu button. (Notice the small drop-shadow used in the Ubuntu screenshot and no outer glow).

-Tres

--
- Tres.Finocchiaro@gmail.com

Old 01-02-2010, 03:49 PM
"David P. Krawchuk"

On Friday 01 January 2010 03:54:29 pm Roman Shtylman wrote:
> Yes, I am gonna drag this dead horse up one more time so we can kill it
> again
>
> Just as the KDE project feels that branding is important to them,
> likewise Kubuntu should feel the same way. I know that we have
> constantly prided ourselves on shipping upstream KDE, and that doesn't
> need to change. But lets not kid ourselves. The small tweaks we make
> to the default settings are part of what make Kubuntu... well Kubuntu.
> And getting that image across is half the battle. That isn't to say
> that we should be annoying in our advertising of Kubuntu, but I do
> think that we should have at least the logo their by default (and not
> just in the boot up sequence). A logo is a very strong thing. It is
> what most people associate with your image and we want to have a good
> image
>
> I know we included the alternate kde menu icon in the last cycle and I
> think that was a great thing. I modified it a bit and am currently
> using it to see how it works with various backgrounds. It aims to be
> simple and not obtrusive. Clearly the users of our distro will know
> that they are using Kubuntu...and will learn that they are using KDE,
> but what we want (imho) is for people to see a user on their computer
> and go... wow... what is that (referring to the awesomeness of kde)
> and then see the Kubuntu icon and make the association to Kubuntu.
>
> If we choose not to change the default icon we should look at
> keeping the alternate icon for those users that do venture to change
> defaults and might happen upon ours
>
> Try it yourself: http://apt.shtylman.com/stuff/kubuntu-menu.tar.gz
>
> $0.02
>
> ~Roman

Its a great idea, think your on to something!

Old 01-02-2010, 04:00 PM
Roman Shtylman

My concern with a drop shadow is that it doesn't work as well with the
default theme (and even other themes) as well as the white glow. I do
agree that the gears are very difficult at small sizes and wonder if
it would be acceptable to just use circles for this one usage... but I
don't know whether that is allowed or whatnot. Also, I think that most
people mentally know the small circles are gears and maybe aren't
bothered that they look a tad fuzzy cause of it?

If the general idea is liked we should deff propose several icon
options and evaluate which one we feel works best.

~Roman

On Fri, Jan 1, 2010 at 10:26 PM, Tres Finocchiaro

Old 01-05-2010, 05:49 PM
"Francisco T."

I have another icon:
http://img130.imageshack.us/img130/4967/karmicfinal.png
http://img695.imageshack.us/img695/8636/karmicinstantnea2.png
http://img121.imageshack.us/img121/4439/karmicinstantnea3.png

I have the original svg file.
If somebody wants it, I don't know about icon design, but it could be a start.

--
Francisco T.