Old 12-21-2009, 07:17 PM
Dario Freddi

Default Shaman, Debian, APT, Kubuntu, and stuff

Hello people,

You might or might not have noticed my post on planet KDE about Shaman (
drfav.wordpress.com/2009/12/01/introducing-shaman-a-new-universal-package-
management-frontend/ ). I have come to the point where the backend API is
enough stable to be developed on, and extensive enough to let people do fancy
stuff with it.

Shaman supports PackageKit natively, but since PackageKit lacks support for
*erm*DebConf*erm* I was wondering if there was any interest and manpower to
write up an apt backend (some also suggested to use aptdaemon). Some Debian
developers recently got interested in such a thing, and I think it would be
cool. Would you guys eventually be interested in such a thing?

P.S.: Soon there will be the possibility to write the backend in a scripted
language (Python anyone?) using the additional burden to depend on
kdebindings-python or whatever language you're using.

Old 01-14-2010, 03:09 PM
Jonathan Riddell

On Mon, Dec 21, 2009 at 09:17:33PM +0100, Dario Freddi wrote:
> You might or might not have noticed my post on planet KDE about Shaman (
> drfav.wordpress.com/2009/12/01/introducing-shaman-a-new-universal-package-
> management-frontend/ ). I have come to the point where the backend API is
> enough stable to be developed on, and extensive enough to let people do fancy
> stuff with it.
>
> Shaman supports PackageKit natively, but since PackageKit lacks support for
> *erm*DebConf*erm* I was wondering if there was any interest and manpower to
> write up an apt backend (some also suggested to use aptdaemon). Some Debian
> developers recently got interested in such a thing, and I think it would be
> cool. Would you guys eventually be interested in such a thing?
>
> P.S.: Soon there will be the possibility to write the backend in a scripted
> language (Python anyone?) using the additional burden to depend on
> kdebindings-python or whatever language you're using.

Hi Dario, my appologies for the late reply on this.

Our next release is a long term support edition so we are avoiding new
applications and focusing on stabalising those we have for now.
However for the release after that we'll need to look at our options
again.

Is Shaman in a sensible state to package at all? Should we put it
into our unsupported universe archive or just keep it in a personal
archive?

What is the advantage of Shaman over Packagekit? It seems like an
abstraction over an abstraction (of course, KDE is good at those.)
Has there been any knowledgeable input into the UI design?

Jonathan

Old 01-14-2010, 03:12 PM
Jonathan Thomas

> Is Shaman in a sensible state to package at all? Should we put
it
> into our unsupported universe archive or just keep it in a
personal
> archive?

It's currently unbuildable at the moment. Our PackageKit is too
old since we were waiting for polkit-{qt/kde}-1 to be ready since
the apt backend required it.

> What is the advantage of Shaman over Packagekit? It seems like
an
> abstraction over an abstraction (of course, KDE is good at
those.)
> Has there been any knowledgeable input into the UI design?
>
> Jonathan

Yet another Jonathan(tm)

Old 01-14-2010, 03:57 PM
Jonathan Riddell

On Thu, Jan 14, 2010 at 11:12:18AM -0500, Jonathan Thomas wrote:

> > Is Shaman in a sensible state to package at all? Should we put
> it
> > into our unsupported universe archive or just keep it in a
> personal
> > archive?
>
> It's currently unbuildable at the moment. Our PackageKit is too
> old since we were waiting for polkit-{qt/kde}-1 to be ready since
> the apt backend required it.

I've pinged glatzor about this.

Jonathan