Old 12-20-2009, 08:21 PM
Ofir Klinger

Default Audio stops working

Hello,

Recently I encountered the following message several times:
http://www.violetech.org/screenshot2.png
I get the same problem on 2 computers.

The only way of solving it seems to logout and login, however, sometimes only reboot works.

Both computers running kubuntu karmic with KDE 4.3 and latest updates.

I cannot figure out what is the source of the problem, and therefore I don't know in which package to file a bug or what to attach to it.

Any help will be appreciated!

Ofir

Old 12-21-2009, 04:22 AM
Ofir Klinger

The pulseaudio package isn't installed but I have it in systemsettings-->multimedia.

Maybe I need to install the package too?

Ike: I will try your solution. Thanks.

Old 12-21-2009, 08:55 AM
Jonas Norlander

2009/12/20 Ofir Klinger <klinger.ofir@gmail.com>:
> Hello,
>
> Recently I encountered the following message several times:
> http://www.violetech.org/screenshot2.png
> I get the same problem on 2 computers.
>
> The only way of solving it seems to logout and login, however, sometimes
> only reboot works.
>
> Both computers running kubuntu karmic with KDE 4.3 and latest updates.
>
> I cannot figure out what is the source of the problem, and therefore I don't
> know in which package to file a bug or what to attach to it.
>
> Any help will be appreciated!
>
> Ofir

I got a lot of this before in Kubuntu 9.04 and Amarok 2.1.x but
somewhere after upgrading to Kubuntu 9.10 and Amarok 2.2.x it when
away. It was always when using Amarok, no other sound or video
application would cause it.

What application are u using when it happen and what version of
Kubuntu do you have?
I wouldn't install Pulsaudio in Kubuntu as it probably will cause more
problem then it will fix.

/ Jonas

Old 12-21-2009, 12:31 PM
Ofir Klinger

I think (but I really don't sure!) that sometimes after playing videos in flash (youtube etc) sound stops working globally.

I mean, no sound at all, for example, smplayer, amarok, kaffine, vlc.

However, only KDE apps report the problem from the screenshot I attached. Others just play with no sound.

Any ideas?

Old 12-21-2009, 12:55 PM
Kwan Chan

I reported a bug about this issue on launchpad actually~*

Old 12-21-2009, 01:02 PM
Go Eller

I had the same problem (kubuntu 9.10 : kernel 2.6.31-16) ...

after editing one line (in my case it was the last line) in
/etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base.conf
from
options snd-hda-intel power_save=10 power_save_controller=N
options snd-hda-intel power_save=10 power_save_controller=Y
the problem seems to be gone.

Peter

Old 12-21-2009, 01:23 PM
Kwan Chan

@Peter That can only fix the poping sound.

Old 12-21-2009, 03:55 PM

I personally think this problem is entirely related to sound card. From the rest of disscussion I conclude that most of you use integrated sound cards (please correct me if I am wrong).
I had similar issues, and I was able to determine that this particular problem is caused by applications hooking the card, leaving the rest of programs unable to produce any sound. This is supposed to be fixed by using a sound server like Pulse Audio but from my experience it did nothing. I solved this by looking for my old SoundBlaster and it works even without PA
-- wiadomość oryg. --

Old 12-21-2009, 04:08 PM
Kwan Chan

Actually I think Pulse Audio is the cause. I've been using alsa nothing wrong happen.