-   -   THoughts on running KDE SC 4.4 Beta on my Dell Latitude 5300 (http://www.linux-archive.org/kubuntu-development/297633-thoughts-running-kde-sc-4-4-beta-my-dell-latitude-5300-a.html)

Jonathan Jesse 12-19-2009 02:16 AM

THoughts on running KDE SC 4.4 Beta on my Dell Latitude 5300

In a love hate relationship I have with running Kubuntu full time on my laptop (work machine, play machine), I recently switched from Windows 7 to Kubuntu 9.10... Anyways that is not the point of this email.

I put the latest and greatest KDE SC 4.4 Beta following the instructions here:*http://www.kubuntu.org/news/kde-sc-4.4-beta-1 and have noticed several issues:

1. *Before putting the beta on I enabled Ayatana notifications and can't seem to get back to the KDE Notification System2. *My mouse seems to lock up/refuse to click at different times. *Don't know how this is a problem with KDE or KDE related but didn't notice it before installing the beta
3. *I get a lot of crashes for KWin, would report the bugs but don't know what debug packages to install to get better reporting of the bugs4. *choqoK crashes every time I start it up. *I have enabled notifications of each new tweet/dent and am wondering if it is related to #1 enabling Ayatana? *Also when choqoK crashes I still get notifications from the same tweets/dents over and over again

A couple of other issues but they seem to relate to notifications so maybe disabling Ayatana somehow will fix a lot of the issues?
Thoughts/suggestions/comments?

Scott Kitterman 12-19-2009 03:56 AM

On Fri, 18 Dec 2009 22:16:30 -0500 Jonathan Jesse <jjesse@gmail.com> wrote:
>1. *Before putting the beta on I enabled Ayatana notifications and can't seem to get back to the KDE Notification System

Please file a bug on this and assign it to me. File it against kdebase-workspace.

Scott K

Richard JOHNSON 12-19-2009 06:34 AM

THoughts on running KDE SC 4.4 Beta on my Dell Latitude 5300

On Fri, Dec 18, 2009 at 10:16:30PM -0500, Jonathan Jesse wrote:
[...]
> 4. choqoK crashes every time I start it up. I have enabled notifications
> of each new tweet/dent and am wondering if it is related to #1 enabling
> Ayatana? Also when choqoK crashes I still get notifications from the same
> tweets/dents over and over again

You need the choqok beta package [1]. It is rough, but at least it doesn't
crash on startup, it just crashes every now and then when you send out a
message, but not all that often so far.

[1] https://edge.launchpad.net/~neversfelde/+archive/ppa/+packages

--
Name| Richard JOHNSON
Title| Developer
WWW| http://www.ubuntu.com
Email| nixternal@ubuntu.com
GnuPG| 3578 0981 A21D D662 2A96 7623 F4C1 838C D8C4 4738

Jonathan Jesse 12-20-2009 01:46 AM

Reported bug:https://bugs.edge.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/kdebase-workspace/+bug/498683

Jonathan Jesse 12-20-2009 01:54 AM

*WWW| *http://www.ubuntu.com

Email| *nixternal@ubuntu.com

GnuPG| *3578 0981 A21D D662 2A96 *7623 F4C1 838C D8C4 4738

Choqok packages seem to be for jaunty only as far as I can tell