FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Ubuntu > Kubuntu Development

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 12-12-2009, 06:02 PM
Clay Weber
 
Default Updates, upgrades, and PPA's, oh my....

I think we need a more clearly defined definition on what sort of packages go
into which ppa.

Currently, there are 5 ppa archives listed for Kubuntu:

1) Kubuntu Backports:
"Backports of new versions of KDE and major KDE apps for Kubuntu which are not
yet tested enough to go to Ubuntu Backports."

This seems to contain Amarok 2.2.1 and Koffice for karmic, and KDE 4.3.2,
digikam 1.0.0-beta, and Amarok 2.1 for Jaunty


2) Kubuntu Beta Backports
"Backports of beta versions of KDE and major KDE apps"

Holds Koffice 2.1 beta (or rc ?) for Karmic


3) Kubuntu Experimental
"Testing ground for unfinished Kubuntu packages."

This one has a small number of testing packages ; kobby, plasma-widget-
network-manager, and qwit for Jaunty; qt4-x11, phonon-backends for karmic

4) Kubuntu Updates
"Updates for Kubuntu releases which are due to go to Ubuntu Updates. Mostly
KDE point releases."

This one has KDE 4.3.4 and Amarok 2.2.1 for Karmic

5) Kubuntu Package Staging (DON'T USE)
"For the love of the blue gears, DO NOT USE.
This is where we build and stage the packages for final PPA releases, so this
PPA will never have usable packages"

This holds KDE SC 4.4 Beta1 packages for karmic


The ppa descriptions , while fairly clear, still leave room for doubts,
questions, and confusion.

Amarok 2.2.1 for karmic is in 2 different PPAs

Many people are simply copy/pasting ppa repos form forum or blog posts without
knowing what they are getting. Or simply ignoring the warnings pertaining to
Staging PPA in particular.

What I would like to do is create documentation on this subject specifying
which PPAs are used for which purpose, and for which packages. Perhaps adding
more information to each PPA's descriptions as well.

So I would like to ask for developers' feedback and clarification on the
purpose for each PPA, as well as some basic definitions we want to use.

For exampple: what exactly do we mean by a 'point release'? Is this 4.3.x? or
4.x?

Should Kubuntu Backports perhaps be more clearly defined as a testing ground so
that the packages from their can hopefully be added to the official Ubuntu
Backports repository?


--
Clay Weber
http://kubuntuforums.net
http://flyballmaine.com
http://emacdogsports.com

--
kubuntu-devel mailing list
kubuntu-devel@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-devel
 
Old 12-12-2009, 06:21 PM
Christian Mangold
 
Default Updates, upgrades, and PPA's, oh my....

Am Samstag, 12. Dezember 2009 20:02:21 schrieb Clay Weber:

> Holds Koffice 2.1 beta (or rc ?) for Karmic

I will delete these packages. They are old.

I think it is not a mistake that amarok is in two ppas. It was in backports
first, because there were some UI changes and it needed testing. After testing
it was moved to updates ppa.

Christian

--
neversfelde@jabber.neversfelde.de
neversfelde on irc.freenode.net
https://launchpad.net/~neversfelde
--
kubuntu-devel mailing list
kubuntu-devel@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-devel
 
Old 12-12-2009, 06:57 PM
Kwan Chan
 
Default Updates, upgrades, and PPA's, oh my....

I think Kubuntu should provide kde bug fixed*release(like kde 4.3.4, kde 4.3.3)*as stable packages like opensuse does.*Because these kde release is meant for slight improvement. I mean kde 4.3.4 should be more stable than kde 4.3.2, however, ubuntu user have to upgrade from a ppa repository. And upgrading to the kde 4.3.4 makes Kubuntu even more unstable. Then a kde+ubuntu fan is actually losing the meaning of upgrading to the*latest*stable kde release.*

For me, I happened to experience that. After a fresh installation of kubuntu, I added the ppa repository for kde 4.3.4 then did a dist-upgrade. Plasma can't even startup after reboot.*
Is it because of the poor quality of the kde packages for kubuntu?

Are the kde packages on the ppa repository is directly copy from debian sid?*
not blaming, just try to make Kubuntu better.
Kwan
On Sun, Dec 13, 2009 at 3:02 AM, Clay Weber <claydoh@midmaine.com> wrote:


I *think we need a more clearly defined definition on what sort of packages go

into which ppa.



Currently, there are 5 ppa archives listed for Kubuntu:



1) Kubuntu Backports:

"Backports of new versions of KDE and major KDE apps for Kubuntu which are not

yet tested enough to go to Ubuntu Backports."



This seems to contain Amarok 2.2.1 and Koffice for karmic, and KDE 4.3.2,

digikam 1.0.0-beta, and Amarok 2.1 for Jaunty





2) Kubuntu Beta Backports

"Backports of beta versions of KDE and major KDE apps"



Holds Koffice 2.1 beta (or rc ?) for Karmic





3) Kubuntu Experimental

"Testing ground for unfinished Kubuntu packages."



This one has a small number of testing packages ; kobby, plasma-widget-

network-manager, and qwit *for Jaunty; qt4-x11, *phonon-backends for karmic



4) Kubuntu Updates

"Updates for Kubuntu releases which are due to go to Ubuntu Updates. Mostly

KDE point releases."



This one has KDE 4.3.4 and Amarok 2.2.1 for Karmic



5) Kubuntu Package Staging (DON'T USE)

"For the love of the blue gears, DO NOT USE.

*This is where we build and stage the packages for final PPA releases, so this

PPA will never have usable packages"



This holds KDE SC 4.4 Beta1 packages for karmic





The ppa descriptions , while fairly clear, still leave room for doubts,

questions, and confusion.



Amarok 2.2.1 for karmic is in 2 different PPAs



Many people are simply copy/pasting ppa repos form forum or blog posts without

knowing what they are getting. Or simply ignoring the warnings pertaining to

Staging PPA in particular.



What I would like to do is create documentation on this subject specifying

which PPAs are used for which purpose, and for which packages. Perhaps adding

more information to each PPA's descriptions as well.



So I would like to ask for developers' feedback and clarification on the

purpose for each PPA, as well as some basic definitions we want to use.



For exampple: what exactly do we mean by a 'point release'? Is this 4.3.x? or

4.x?



Should Kubuntu Backports perhaps be more clearly defined as a testing ground so

that the packages from their can hopefully be added to the official Ubuntu

Backports repository?





--

Clay Weber

http://kubuntuforums.net

http://flyballmaine.com

http://emacdogsports.com



--

kubuntu-devel mailing list

kubuntu-devel@lists.ubuntu.com

Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-devel



--
kubuntu-devel mailing list
kubuntu-devel@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-devel
 
Old 12-12-2009, 07:05 PM
Michał Zając
 
Default Updates, upgrades, and PPA's, oh my....

Probably this is not package related. For me the upgrades work flawlessly and
you have problems. I have discovered that majority of problems with Plasma
startup are related to some problems, try running plasma-desktop from console
and search for errors or try moving .kde directory somewhere else?

Dnia sobota 12 grudnia 2009 o 20:57:39 Kwan Chan napisał(a):
> I think Kubuntu should provide kde bug fixed release(like kde 4.3.4, kde
> 4.3.3) as stable packages like opensuse does.
> Because these kde release is meant for slight improvement. I mean kde 4.3.4
> should be more stable than kde 4.3.2, however, ubuntu user have to upgrade
> from a ppa repository. And upgrading to the kde 4.3.4 makes Kubuntu even
> more unstable. Then a kde+ubuntu fan is actually losing the meaning of
> upgrading to the latest stable kde release.
> For me, I happened to experience that. After a fresh installation of
> kubuntu, I added the ppa repository for kde 4.3.4 then did a dist-upgrade.
> Plasma can't even startup after reboot.
>
> Is it because of the poor quality of the kde packages for kubuntu?
> Are the kde packages on the ppa repository is directly copy from debian
> sid?
>
> not blaming, just try to make Kubuntu better.
>
> Kwan


--
Michał Zając
xmpp: quintasan@ubuntu.pl
blog: http://quintasan.blogspot.com
identi.ca http://identi.ca/quintasan
--
kubuntu-devel mailing list
kubuntu-devel@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-devel
 
Old 12-12-2009, 07:09 PM
Richard JOHNSON
 
Default Updates, upgrades, and PPA's, oh my....

On Sun, Dec 13, 2009 at 03:57:39AM +0800, Kwan Chan wrote:
> I think Kubuntu should provide kde bug fixed release(like kde 4.3.4, kde
> 4.3.3) as stable packages like opensuse does.
> Because these kde release is meant for slight improvement. I mean kde 4.3.4
> should be more stable than kde 4.3.2, however, ubuntu user have to upgrade
> from a ppa repository. And upgrading to the kde 4.3.4 makes Kubuntu even
> more unstable. Then a kde+ubuntu fan is actually losing the meaning of
> upgrading to the latest stable kde release.
> For me, I happened to experience that. After a fresh installation of
> kubuntu, I added the ppa repository for kde 4.3.4 then did a dist-upgrade.
> Plasma can't even startup after reboot.

We do release stable packages, but we aren't releasing them into -backports
or -updates. I don't like the PPA archives for 1 reason, there are no local
mirrors. I hope with your plasma issue, you either filed a bug report or
added some commentary to an already existing bug report.

> Is it because of the poor quality of the kde packages for kubuntu?
> Are the kde packages on the ppa repository is directly copy from debian
> sid?

Will you stop with the "poor quality of kde packages for kubuntu" already.
No, the packages in the PPA are not always copied from Sid, but they are
merged when possible.

> not blaming, just try to make Kubuntu better.

By constantly stating the kde packages are poor, you aren't making Kubuntu
better, you are just regurgitating the opinions of others.

--
Name| Richard JOHNSON
Title| Developer
WWW| http://www.ubuntu.com
Email| nixternal@ubuntu.com
GnuPG| 3578 0981 A21D D662 2A96 7623 F4C1 838C D8C4 4738
--
kubuntu-devel mailing list
kubuntu-devel@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-devel
 
Old 12-12-2009, 07:30 PM
Kwan Chan
 
Default Updates, upgrades, and PPA's, oh my....

Ok. You're right! I should stop stating that.*Now I know that the packages is not always copying from the sid.*
Really, downloading packages from the ppa repository is slow.*Is it possible to put the kde bug fix release packages to an extra repository in Ubuntu (not*Ubuntu Backports/update). Maybe make a Ubuntu kde43 repository? Then people can have choice either upgrade or not while people who would like to upgrade to the lastest stable can enjoy the benefit from local mirror.*




On Sun, Dec 13, 2009 at 4:09 AM, Richard JOHNSON <nixternal@ubuntu.com> wrote:


On Sun, Dec 13, 2009 at 03:57:39AM +0800, Kwan Chan wrote:

> I think Kubuntu should provide kde bug fixed release(like kde 4.3.4, kde

> 4.3.3) as stable packages like opensuse does.

> Because these kde release is meant for slight improvement. I mean kde 4.3.4

> should be more stable than kde 4.3.2, however, ubuntu user have to upgrade

> from a ppa repository. And upgrading to the kde 4.3.4 makes Kubuntu even

> more unstable. Then a kde+ubuntu fan is actually losing the meaning of

> upgrading to the latest stable kde release.

> For me, I happened to experience that. After a fresh installation of

> kubuntu, I added the ppa repository for kde 4.3.4 then did a dist-upgrade.

> Plasma can't even startup after reboot.



We do release stable packages, but we aren't releasing them into -backports

or -updates. I don't like the PPA archives for 1 reason, there are no local

mirrors. I hope with your plasma issue, you either filed a bug report or

added some commentary to an already existing bug report.



> Is it because of the poor quality of the kde packages for kubuntu?

> Are the kde packages on the ppa repository is directly copy from debian

> sid?



Will you stop with the "poor quality of kde packages for kubuntu" already.

No, the packages in the PPA are not always copied from Sid, but they are

merged when possible.



> not blaming, just try to make Kubuntu better.



By constantly stating the kde packages are poor, you aren't making Kubuntu

better, you are just regurgitating the opinions of others.



--

*Name| *Richard JOHNSON

Title| *Developer

*WWW| *http://www.ubuntu.com

Email| *nixternal@ubuntu.com

GnuPG| *3578 0981 A21D D662 2A96 *7623 F4C1 838C D8C4 4738


-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----

Version: GnuPG v1.4.9 (GNU/Linux)



iQIcBAEBAgAGBQJLI/huAAoJEPTBg4zYxEc4XQoQAL2XPXP2IkEnP6gohzxpZNO+

TW1MQ9hjYHVAJGQwu3nKHjARqA0OSWCQ2MgU6nCXxLopXuObJq kIeYNs/BMo49Tk

9FI8ODmXvRoQfxEaQJDRx+MOeImPNQ41De76QuiJoJ6h8jlj50 TxN/r4fbz+PtP6

IYiR+aEDBlVJZTwH8XjU+/31JCxMqCUJRDzQIGrVSsKoCaHDCXQYcMcbsaQvD6Eu

vfUHyASI51mqE0ML42cpjh05LSuA5fEH0vpcQBA1yvpx+feTU9 YqBCA/TKke77yK

GhZbTt5sHRAf+MtyjuHo9Y9UpeLNrFKIbLcKeb/kZCvkNUN5D3ZGyZ3+8dS0qJKV

zCyYsAYrXwSvw6e4NOUj2cdw2vZIV853x3ujZnT45/Klj21evGkWB689idumpenl

2K4FxWGJIu0YeQ+gwa6kXb+PZ31MPEhKvQcQ6Tc/Oojnrcza4Y0D4lP44mZRMAso

brCnOENqrXXmdhhWDIJl4zMfC5YCpVhU9dZpHXH8Ahw+CuLMkO RHCtQEtsXkkdng

UhE8oS9UbDc6oGEglWHKEEDisGd79JoLj+As+MRXxCc920nmBM yio0PCtmSH/px5

M2S9nxfoFojef4NRf2HoDoYaojaSpMmVsXPYh0xYl/GMRWIgEC7kOEMgMftrOiFU

/58llF0jYxXYJaUgv98g

=TtyT

-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----


--

kubuntu-devel mailing list

kubuntu-devel@lists.ubuntu.com

Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-devel




--
kubuntu-devel mailing list
kubuntu-devel@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-devel
 
Old 12-12-2009, 09:52 PM
Scott Kitterman
 
Default Updates, upgrades, and PPA's, oh my....

On Sun, 13 Dec 2009 03:57:39 +0800 Kwan Chan <chanyunkwan0217@gmail.com>
wrote:
>I think Kubuntu should provide kde bug fixed release(like kde 4.3.4, kde
>4.3.3) as stable packages like opensuse does.
>Because these kde release is meant for slight improvement. I mean kde 4.3.4
>should be more stable than kde 4.3.2, however, ubuntu user have to upgrade
>from a ppa repository. And upgrading to the kde 4.3.4 makes Kubuntu even
>more unstable. Then a kde+ubuntu fan is actually losing the meaning of
>upgrading to the latest stable kde release.
>For me, I happened to experience that. After a fresh installation of
>kubuntu, I added the ppa repository for kde 4.3.4 then did a dist-upgrade.
>Plasma can't even startup after reboot.
>
>Is it because of the poor quality of the kde packages for kubuntu?
>Are the kde packages on the ppa repository is directly copy from debian
>sid?

Both 4.3.3 and 4.3.4 have upstream regressions. While they may, overall,
be better, we promise -updates will be regression free. Based on the
experience so far, these are not suitable for regular updates.

Scott K

--
kubuntu-devel mailing list
kubuntu-devel@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-devel
 
Old 12-12-2009, 10:22 PM
Harald Sitter
 
Default Updates, upgrades, and PPA's, oh my....

Am Samstag, 12. Dezember 2009 21:30:33 schrieb Kwan Chan:
> Is it possible to put the kde bug fix release packages to an extra
> repository in Ubuntu (not Ubuntu Backports/update). Maybe make a Ubuntu
> kde43 repository? Then people can have choice either upgrade or not while
> people who would like to upgrade to the lastest stable can enjoy the
> benefit from local mirror.

Nope
--
Harald Sitter
Kubuntu Core Developer
http://www.kubuntu.org
--
kubuntu-devel mailing list
kubuntu-devel@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-devel
 
Old 12-14-2009, 05:31 AM
Serhiy Kachaniuk
 
Default Updates, upgrades, and PPA's, oh my....

On Sat, Dec 12, 2009 at 9:57 PM, Kwan Chan:
> I think Kubuntu should provide kde bug fixed*release(like kde 4.3.4, kde
> 4.3.3)*as stable packages like opensuse does.

Are you sure openSUSE do this? AFAIK packages in openSUSE won't be
updated to newer KDE releases at all. Lubos blogged about it some time
ago.

If openSUSE has kde point releases' packages, then they are in theirs
PPA analog - openSUSE Build Service, not in updates to released
openSUSE.

--
kubuntu-devel mailing list
kubuntu-devel@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-devel
 
Old 12-15-2009, 10:45 AM
Jonathan Riddell
 
Default Updates, upgrades, and PPA's, oh my....

On Sat, Dec 12, 2009 at 02:02:21PM -0500, Clay Weber wrote:
> I think we need a more clearly defined definition on what sort of packages go
> into which ppa.

A wiki page with full descriptions and current status would be good (or even a page on kubuntu.org).

> Currently, there are 5 ppa archives listed for Kubuntu:
>
> 1) Kubuntu Backports:

Major new releases

> 2) Kubuntu Beta Backports
> "Backports of beta versions of KDE and major KDE apps"

betas of major new releases

> 3) Kubuntu Experimental
> "Testing ground for unfinished Kubuntu packages."

for developers doing testing

> 4) Kubuntu Updates
> "Updates for Kubuntu releases which are due to go to Ubuntu Updates. Mostly
> KDE point releases."


minor point releases

> 5) Kubuntu Package Staging (DON'T USE)

Used for building packages before coping to the intended PPA

Jonathan

--
kubuntu-devel mailing list
kubuntu-devel@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-devel
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 11:42 AM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org