-   -   kubuntu performance (http://www.linux-archive.org/kubuntu-development/293769-kubuntu-performance.html)

Kwan Chan 12-11-2009 06:23 AM

kubuntu performance

hi,*I tested kubuntu 9.10 and OpenSuse 11.2 on the same machine and found out that Kubuntu is a bit slower than OpenSuse. I can notice that the kwin animation under kubuntu is slow compared to OpenSuse. Is it because of the quality of the kde packages of Kubuntu?

Jussi Kekkonen 12-12-2009 11:18 AM

kubuntu performance

2009/12/11 Kwan Chan <chanyunkwan0217@gmail.com>:
> hi,
> I tested kubuntu 9.10 and OpenSuse 11.2 on the same machine and found out
> that Kubuntu is a bit slower than OpenSuse. I can notice that the kwin
> animation under kubuntu is slow compared to OpenSuse. Is it because of the
> quality of the kde packages of Kubuntu?

Is there difference in KDE and/or Qt version? How about settings?
There's plenty of things that can affect on this. (:

--
Jussi Kekkonen, Tm_T
Ubuntu/KDE developer tmt@ubuntu.com

Kwan Chan 12-12-2009 11:47 AM

kubuntu performance

Under same desktop effect setting, both kde 4.3 QT 4.5, just don't know why Kubuntu is slower~

Fabio Locati 12-12-2009 11:58 AM

kubuntu performance

I think because *ubuntu usually have some more running processes than
other distros
--
Fabio Alessandro Locati

Home: Segrate, Milan, Italy (GMT +1)
Phone: +39-328-3799681
MSN/Jabber/E-Mail: fabiolocati@gmail.com

PGP Fingerprint: 5525 8555 213C 19EB 25F2 A047 2AD2 BE67 0F01 CA61

Involved in: KDE, OpenStreetMap, Ubuntu, Wikimedia

Harald Sitter 12-12-2009 02:41 PM

kubuntu performance

Am Samstag, 12. Dezember 2009 13:58:36 schrieb Fabio Locati:
> I think because *ubuntu usually have some more running processes than
> other distros

Right, if you have like an intel 386 CPU and 64 MiB of RAM or like a very very
very narrow bus, then indeed the "*ubuntu usually have some more running
processes" (is that a random claim or actually based on data anyway?) might
indeed have influence on desktop effects (which put extra load on the GPU
really).

--
Harald Sitter
Kubuntu Core Developer

Harald Sitter 12-12-2009 02:45 PM

kubuntu performance

Am Freitag, 11. Dezember 2009 08:23:11 schrieb Kwan Chan:
> hi,
> I tested kubuntu 9.10 and OpenSuse 11.2 on the same machine and found out
> that Kubuntu is a bit slower than OpenSuse. I can notice that the kwin
> animation under kubuntu is slow compared to OpenSuse. Is it because of the
> quality of the kde packages of Kubuntu?

Yes it is.

On the other hand it might be even more likely that the graphics driver in
9.10 is not getting the most out of your GPU, or, which is also likely
something in the graphics stack of ubuntu is causing roundtrips.

Though that sounds rather complicated so lets just stay with claiming that the
quality of Kubuntu's kde packages suck, sure is easier to explain than why a
driver could have influence on the performance of graphics.

Then again I am not into the graphics stuff anyway...
--
Harald Sitter
Kubuntu Core Developer

Kwan Chan 12-12-2009 03:12 PM

kubuntu performance

not really, I got intel dual core2~ I don't know if the driver is different on Opensuse 11.2 though. My graphic chip is 945GM~

Jussi Kekkonen 12-12-2009 03:18 PM

kubuntu performance

But...

2009/12/12 Kwan Chan <chanyunkwan0217@gmail.com>:
> not really, I got intel dual core2~ I don't know if the driver is different
> on Opensuse 11.2 though. My graphic chip is 945GM~
>

> On Sat, Dec 12, 2009 at 8:58 PM, Fabio Locati <fabiolocati@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> I think because *ubuntu usually have some more running processes than
>> other distros
>> --
>> Fabio Alessandro Locati
>>
>> Home: Segrate, Milan, Italy (GMT +1)
>> Phone: +39-328-3799681
>> MSN/Jabber/E-Mail: fabiolocati@gmail.com
>>
>> PGP Fingerprint: 5525 8555 213C 19EB 25F2 *A047 2AD2 BE67 0F01 CA61
>>
>> Involved in: KDE, OpenStreetMap, Ubuntu, Wikimedia
>>

>> On Sat, Dec 12, 2009 at 1:47 PM, Kwan Chan <chanyunkwan0217@gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>> > Under same desktop effect setting, both kde 4.3 QT 4.5, just don't know
>> > why
>> > Kubuntu is slower~

I'm pretty sure *Ubuntu and openSUSE has difference in some default
settings too, also are you measuring the "slowness" some way? Same
4.3.*-version? Oh there's so many moving parts you cannot blame one
thing rightaway...

"Pan, Shi Zhu" 12-16-2009 11:43 AM

kubuntu performance

Kwan Chan wrote:
> hi,
> I tested kubuntu 9.10 and OpenSuse 11.2 on the same machine and found
> out that Kubuntu is a bit slower than OpenSuse. I can notice that the
> kwin animation under kubuntu is slow compared to OpenSuse. Is it because
> of the quality of the kde packages of Kubuntu?

No, it generally is not a kubuntu problem.

You're using intel graphics card and the intel driver is compiled into
kernel and xorg. It is the difference of kernel options and xorg version
which cause the difference.

Well, the kernel and xorg packages are created by ubuntu core developer
or debian. It generally has nothing to do with Kubuntu developers.