Old 12-10-2009, 06:40 PM
Jonathan Jesse

Default question about SSH sessions timing out on Kubuntu Netbook

Good afternoon,
*
Question for the group:* I am connecting via SSH to my Kubuntu Netbook Dell Mini 9 with the proprietary Broadcomm card and the sessions seem to time out if I idle the session for longer then a minute.* Is there a config in the system that is setting a time out or is it a problem with Broadcomm driver or a problem w/ something else?

I usually connect via Putty on my Windows 7 machine, I don't experience the timeouts when I ssh to my Red Hat VM.

Thanks

Old 12-10-2009, 07:38 PM
Richard JOHNSON

On Thu, Dec 10, 2009 at 02:40:51PM -0500, Jonathan Jesse wrote:
> Good afternoon,
>
> Question for the group: I am connecting via SSH to my Kubuntu Netbook Dell
> Mini 9 with the proprietary Broadcomm card and the sessions seem to time out
> if I idle the session for longer then a minute. Is there a config in the
> system that is setting a time out or is it a problem with Broadcomm driver
> or a problem w/ something else?
>
> I usually connect via Putty on my Windows 7 machine, I don't experience the
> timeouts when I ssh to my Red Hat VM.

That's because Putty doesn't default timeout by sending keep alive packages
to the ssh server. ssh on the other hand doesn't do that by default (I
don't believe in Ubuntu it does). To prevent the timing out, add this to
your ~/.ssh/config

Host *
ServerAliveInterval=60

The number is in seconds, so you can try lower if it still times out. Now
before you say that ssh sucks because of that and Putty is better, remember
ssh is secure on our end, so this way when you log in via ssh to a machine,
you get up to grab yet another snack while in the office, some dude named
nixternal doesn't come by and hose up the machine you are connected to. I
know you Windows people aren't used to that thing called security

--
Name| Richard JOHNSON
Title| Developer
WWW| http://www.ubuntu.com
Email| nixternal@ubuntu.com
GnuPG| 3578 0981 A21D D662 2A96 7623 F4C1 838C D8C4 4738

Old 12-10-2009, 08:53 PM
Scott Kitterman

On Thu, 10 Dec 2009 14:40:51 -0500 Jonathan Jesse <jjesse@gmail.com> wrote:
>Good afternoon,
>*
>Question for the group:* I am connecting via SSH to my Kubuntu Netbook Dell Mini 9 with the proprietary Broadcomm card and the sessions seem to time out if I idle the session for longer then a minute.* Is there a config in the system that is setting a time out or is it a problem with Broadcomm driver or a problem w/ something else?
>
>I usually connect via Putty on my Windows 7 machine, I don't experience the timeouts when I ssh to my Red Hat VM.

I don't ssh a lot from my Dell Mini 10v (also Broadcom), but I have not seen any issues like this. I am certain that whatevere it is, it isn't Kubuntu Netbbok specific.

Scott K

Old 12-10-2009, 10:36 PM
Richard JOHNSON

On Thu, Dec 10, 2009 at 04:53:30PM -0500, Scott Kitterman wrote:
[...]
> I don't ssh a lot from my Dell Mini 10v (also Broadcom), but I have not seen any issues like this. I am certain that whatevere it is, it isn't Kubuntu Netbbok specific.

Yes, I should have stated the same, however my sshd configs aren't
standard/stock.

--
Name| Richard JOHNSON
Title| Developer

Old 12-11-2009, 03:53 AM
Steve Stalcup

On Thu, Dec 10, 2009 at 2:53 PM, Scott Kitterman <ubuntu@kitterman.com> wrote:

> I don't ssh a lot from my Dell Mini 10v (also Broadcom), but I have not seen any issues like this. *I am certain that whatevere it is, it isn't Kubuntu Netbbok specific.
>
> Scott K

I do use ssh quite a bit from my netbook w/out being booted from my
remote server. However, I always install openssh-server and
ssh-client, which both help me keep a tunnel open for some of my super
secret freenode tricks.

Hope this helps,
Steve