FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Ubuntu > Kubuntu Development

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 11-26-2009, 09:57 AM
Harald Sitter
 
Default KO 2.1 - we are smarter yet again!

Howdy!

Just a few minutes ago I saw a complaint about our KOffice 2.1 packages having
an uglish flaw [1]. So I was searching the launchpad for all information
regarding recent history of the KO package, and to my surprise what I expected
to be koffice-kde4 was indeed koffice (source pkg that is)!

So here I am sitting.
Wondering.
Are we smarter than upstream yet again?

I am quoting the KOffice 2.1 release announcement here
"In version 2.1, most applications and components have improved significantly
but should still only be used by early adopters and probably not as the
primary worktool." [2]

Hence I would like to know why in lucid koffice [3] is 2.1, yet contains *-kde4
packages?
Where did koffice (kde3) go? Vanish? It certainly did not get renamed to koffice-
kde3 [4]

Some enlightenment would be nice, because the last thing I want is upstream
coming after us (yet again) because we screwed up our packaging.

[1] https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=214087
[2] http://www.koffice.org/news/koffice-2-1-released/
[3] https://edge.launchpad.net/ubuntu/lucid/+source/koffice
[4] https://edge.launchpad.net/ubuntu/lucid/+source/koffice-kde3
--
Harald Sitter
Kubuntu Core Developer
http://www.kubuntu.org
--
kubuntu-devel mailing list
kubuntu-devel@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-devel
 
Old 11-26-2009, 02:19 PM
Yuriy Kozlov
 
Default KO 2.1 - we are smarter yet again!

On Thu, Nov 26, 2009 at 5:57 AM, Harald Sitter <apachelogger@ubuntu.com> wrote:
> Howdy!
>
> Just a few minutes ago I saw a complaint about our KOffice 2.1 packages having
> an uglish flaw [1]. So I was searching the launchpad for all information
> regarding recent history of the KO package, and to my surprise what I expected
> to be koffice-kde4 was indeed koffice (source pkg that is)!
>
> So here I am sitting.
> Wondering.
> Are we smarter than upstream yet again?
>
> I am quoting the KOffice 2.1 release announcement here
> "In version 2.1, most applications and components have improved significantly
> but should still only be used by early adopters and probably not as the
> primary worktool." [2]
>
> Hence I would like to know why in lucid koffice [3] is 2.1, yet contains *-kde4
> packages?
> Where did koffice (kde3) go? Vanish? It certainly did not get renamed to koffice-
> kde3 [4]
>
> Some enlightenment would be nice, because the last thing I want is upstream
> coming after us (yet again) because we screwed up our packaging.
>
> [1] https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=214087
> [2] http://www.koffice.org/news/koffice-2-1-released/
> [3] https://edge.launchpad.net/ubuntu/lucid/+source/koffice
> [4] https://edge.launchpad.net/ubuntu/lucid/+source/koffice-kde3
> --
> Harald Sitter
> Kubuntu Core Developer
> http://www.kubuntu.org
>

The upstream announcement said not to ship KOffice 2 as the default
office suite, which it isn't, OpenOffice.org is. Considering we don't
ship most other KDE3 applications at this point and how broken the
remaining ones have tended to be since Intrepid, and the general
not-quite-usefulness of most of KOffice 1.x, I think it makes perfect
sense to have "koffice" be KOffice 2. Whichever KOffice is available,
it's for early adopters. Most people will be using OpenOffice.org as
their only or primary work tool.

As for -kde4 endings, would be nice to drop them if they're the only
versions available anyways.

~ Yuriy

--
kubuntu-devel mailing list
kubuntu-devel@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-devel
 
Old 11-26-2009, 02:32 PM
Harald Sitter
 
Default KO 2.1 - we are smarter yet again!

Am Donnerstag, 26. November 2009 16:19:20 schrieb Yuriy Kozlov:
> The upstream announcement said not to ship KOffice 2 as the default
> office suite, which it isn't, OpenOffice.org is. Considering we don't
> ship most other KDE3 applications at this point and how broken the
> remaining ones have tended to be since Intrepid, and the general
> not-quite-usefulness of most of KOffice 1.x, I think it makes perfect
> sense to have "koffice" be KOffice 2. Whichever KOffice is available,
> it's for early adopters. Most people will be using OpenOffice.org as
> their only or primary work tool.
>
> As for -kde4 endings, would be nice to drop them if they're the only
> versions available anyways.

And what proof do we have that koffice2 is at least as usable as 1 right now?
And just becuase OOo is defautl does not mean that we can kick the arses of
all the users who are using KO 1, especiall not without prior discussion at a
meeting.

--
Harald Sitter
Kubuntu Core Developer
http://www.kubuntu.org
--
kubuntu-devel mailing list
kubuntu-devel@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-devel
 
Old 11-26-2009, 02:38 PM
Jonathan Riddell
 
Default KO 2.1 - we are smarter yet again!

On Thu, Nov 26, 2009 at 11:57:23AM +0100, Harald Sitter wrote:
> Just a few minutes ago I saw a complaint about our KOffice 2.1 packages having
> an uglish flaw [1]. So I was searching the launchpad for all information
> regarding recent history of the KO package, and to my surprise what I expected
> to be koffice-kde4 was indeed koffice (source pkg that is)!
>
> So here I am sitting.
> Wondering.
> Are we smarter than upstream yet again?

15:34 < Riddell> CyrilleB: so with koffice 2.1 we should get rid of
and replace koffice 1?
15:36 < CyrilleB> Riddell: I think so

I've no desire to keep KOffice 1 in an LTS and neither do
upstream. The question is should we keep it in main or universe for
lucid.

Jonathan

--
kubuntu-devel mailing list
kubuntu-devel@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-devel
 
Old 11-26-2009, 03:00 PM
Jonathan Riddell
 
Default KO 2.1 - we are smarter yet again!

On Thu, Nov 26, 2009 at 04:32:13PM +0100, Harald Sitter wrote:
> Am Donnerstag, 26. November 2009 16:19:20 schrieb Yuriy Kozlov:
> > The upstream announcement said not to ship KOffice 2 as the default
> > office suite, which it isn't, OpenOffice.org is. Considering we don't
> > ship most other KDE3 applications at this point and how broken the
> > remaining ones have tended to be since Intrepid, and the general
> > not-quite-usefulness of most of KOffice 1.x, I think it makes perfect
> > sense to have "koffice" be KOffice 2. Whichever KOffice is available,
> > it's for early adopters. Most people will be using OpenOffice.org as
> > their only or primary work tool.
> >
> > As for -kde4 endings, would be nice to drop them if they're the only
> > versions available anyways.
>
> And what proof do we have that koffice2 is at least as usable as 1 right now?
> And just becuase OOo is defautl does not mean that we can kick the arses of
> all the users who are using KO 1, especiall not without prior discussion at a
> meeting.

15:38 < CyrilleB> 2.1 is still a bit immature, but I think overall, it
is better than 1.6

We also have to consider our poor security team who found an issue in
KOffice 1 recently and got a response from upstream of "KOffice 1 is
not supported, use KOffice 2".

Jonathan

--
kubuntu-devel mailing list
kubuntu-devel@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-devel
 
Old 11-26-2009, 04:41 PM
"Roderick B. Greening"
 
Default KO 2.1 - we are smarter yet again!

> On Thu, Nov 26, 2009 at 04:32:13PM +0100, Harald Sitter wrote:
> > Am Donnerstag, 26. November 2009 16:19:20 schrieb Yuriy Kozlov:
> > > The upstream announcement said not to ship KOffice 2 as the default
> > > office suite, which it isn't, OpenOffice.org is. Considering we don't
> > > ship most other KDE3 applications at this point and how broken the
> > > remaining ones have tended to be since Intrepid, and the general
> > > not-quite-usefulness of most of KOffice 1.x, I think it makes perfect
> > > sense to have "koffice" be KOffice 2. Whichever KOffice is available,
> > > it's for early adopters. Most people will be using OpenOffice.org as
> > > their only or primary work tool.
> > >
> > > As for -kde4 endings, would be nice to drop them if they're the only
> > > versions available anyways.
> >
> > And what proof do we have that koffice2 is at least as usable as 1 right
> > now? And just becuase OOo is defautl does not mean that we can kick the
> > arses of all the users who are using KO 1, especiall not without prior
> > discussion at a meeting.
>
> 15:38 < CyrilleB> 2.1 is still a bit immature, but I think overall, it
> is better than 1.6
>
> We also have to consider our poor security team who found an issue in
> KOffice 1 recently and got a response from upstream of "KOffice 1 is
> not supported, use KOffice 2".
>
> Jonathan
>

I agree. I believe we should maintain in universe for now, given a) it's not
our primary office app and b) it needs work still and c) our desire to
reduce/remove kde3 from the archives.

IMO...
_______________________________________
Roderick B. Greening, B.Sc.
Paradise, NL Canada
E-mail/MSN: roderick.greening@gmail.com
LP: launchpad.net/~roderick-greening
Wiki: wiki.ubuntu.com/rgreening
Blog: roderick-greening.blogspot.com
Twitter: twitter.com/rgreening
Identica: identi.ca/rgreening

--
kubuntu-devel mailing list
kubuntu-devel@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-devel
 
Old 11-27-2009, 01:22 AM
Scott Kitterman
 
Default KO 2.1 - we are smarter yet again!

On Thu, 26 Nov 2009 14:11:38 -0330 "Roderick B. Greening"
<roderick.greening@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Thu, Nov 26, 2009 at 04:32:13PM +0100, Harald Sitter wrote:
>> > Am Donnerstag, 26. November 2009 16:19:20 schrieb Yuriy Kozlov:
>> > > The upstream announcement said not to ship KOffice 2 as the default
>> > > office suite, which it isn't, OpenOffice.org is. Considering we
don't
>> > > ship most other KDE3 applications at this point and how broken the
>> > > remaining ones have tended to be since Intrepid, and the general
>> > > not-quite-usefulness of most of KOffice 1.x, I think it makes perfect
>> > > sense to have "koffice" be KOffice 2. Whichever KOffice is available,
>> > > it's for early adopters. Most people will be using OpenOffice.org as
>> > > their only or primary work tool.
>> > >
>> > > As for -kde4 endings, would be nice to drop them if they're the only
>> > > versions available anyways.
>> >
>> > And what proof do we have that koffice2 is at least as usable as 1
right
>> > now? And just becuase OOo is defautl does not mean that we can kick the
>> > arses of all the users who are using KO 1, especiall not without prior
>> > discussion at a meeting.
>>
>> 15:38 < CyrilleB> 2.1 is still a bit immature, but I think overall, it
>> is better than 1.6
>>
>> We also have to consider our poor security team who found an issue in
>> KOffice 1 recently and got a response from upstream of "KOffice 1 is
>> not supported, use KOffice 2".
>>
>> Jonathan
>>
>
>I agree. I believe we should maintain in universe for now, given a) it's
not
>our primary office app and b) it needs work still and c) our desire to
>reduce/remove kde3 from the archives.
>
>IMO...

I don't think MOTU have the resources to maintain this complex package. My
vote is either in Main supported by kubuntu-dev or out of the archive.

Scott K

--
kubuntu-devel mailing list
kubuntu-devel@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-devel
 
Old 11-28-2009, 02:39 PM
Harald Sitter
 
Default KO 2.1 - we are smarter yet again!

Am Freitag 27 November 2009 03:22:49 am schrieb Scott Kitterman:
> I don't think MOTU have the resources to maintain this complex package. My
> vote is either in Main supported by kubuntu-dev or out of the archive.

Maybe we should discuss this at the Monday kubuntu-dev meeting?

--
Harald Sitter
Kubuntu Core Developer
http://www.kubuntu.org
--
kubuntu-devel mailing list
kubuntu-devel@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-devel
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 02:02 AM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org