Old 11-19-2009, 02:16 PM
Richard JOHNSON

Default Lucid Documentation

Hola!

OK, I am starting to plan on how to go about doing the documentation for
Lucid. Right now there is no doubt that a complete rewrite is necessary for
us to even have something decent, as updating the old documentation would
just be a royal pain. As some of you may know we use a topic based
approach, though quite fake in our setup, and a bit of a pain as well. I
have started outlining the topics to cover with our system documentation
[1].

Note, if you are interested in helping to contribute to the docs this
session, please do speak up. We use DocBook/XML with the Article !DOCTYPE.
It is very simple markup and if you can figure out HTML then DocBook should
be just as easy.

We will continue using DocBook/XML until something better comes along to
suit our needs. Because of this we do not write documentation on the wiki,
though we do use documentation from the wiki. If you do not know how to
DocBook and don't want to learn it, you are free to send a .txt file or
such and one of us (myself or Jonathan Jesse) can convert it to DocBook for
you.

If you can think of any other topics that NEED to be covered, please add
them under the section 'Needed Topics' at the bottom of the wiki page [1].

Thanks!

[1] https://wiki.kubuntu.org/Kubuntu/Documentation/Lucid

--
Name| Richard JOHNSON
Title| Developer
WWW| http://www.ubuntu.com
Email| nixternal@ubuntu.com
GnuPG| 3578 0981 A21D D662 2A96 7623 F4C1 838C D8C4 4738

Old 11-19-2009, 07:36 PM
Aaron Reichman

I'm interested in helping with writing documentation. I don't have any experience with docbook but I run KDE from trunk and have a decent grasp of the English language. Is there an introductory document somewhere that explains how to get started?

*WWW| *http://www.ubuntu.com

Old 11-19-2009, 07:53 PM
Christian Mangold

I would also like to get in touch with documentation. I wrote a lot
documentation in german in the last few years, but unfortunatly my english is
not as good as it should be and I am a new to docbook. I'm sure that I can
learn it, because I had a look at it some time ago.

A good documentation how to start would be really great.

Christian

--
neversfelde@jabber.neversfelde.de
neversfelde on irc.freenode.net

Old 11-19-2009, 11:14 PM
Richard JOHNSON

On Thu, Nov 19, 2009 at 12:36:43PM -0800, Aaron Reichman wrote:
> I'm interested in helping with writing documentation. I don't have any
> experience with docbook but I run KDE from trunk and have a decent grasp of
> the English language. Is there an introductory document somewhere that
> explains how to get started?

Unfortunately the documentation for this part is rather outdated for the
most part, however, what I typically tell people to do for an introduction
is to download the documentation and take a look through it. In my honest
opinion, the markup and what not is fairly self explainable, and if it
isn't, don't hesitate to ask.

To check out our current documentation for the Lucid cycle, use Bazaar and
do:

bzr branch lp:kubuntu-docs

http://www.docbook.org/tdg5/en/html/docbook.html
^^ This is the definitive guide for DocBook v5.0. This has an explanation
of all of the DocBook tags.

Also check out https://wiki.kubuntu.org/DocumenationTeam for some further
explanation on some of our processes.

--
Name| Richard JOHNSON
Title| Developer

Old 11-19-2009, 11:15 PM
Richard JOHNSON

On Thu, Nov 19, 2009 at 09:53:08PM +0100, Christian Mangold wrote:
> I would also like to get in touch with documentation. I wrote a lot
> documentation in german in the last few years, but unfortunatly my english is
> not as good as it should be and I am a new to docbook. I'm sure that I can
> learn it, because I had a look at it some time ago.
>
> A good documentation how to start would be really great.

Re: my previous reply concerning the topic. This is something else we need
to work on. Maybe I will get up and do it this week. I will add that to my
todo list as it probably would make getting involved a bit more easier.
Definitely easier than replying with the same responses over and over. You
would think that I would have already done this years ago

--
Name| Richard JOHNSON
Title| Developer

Old 11-20-2009, 02:35 PM
Arthur Schiwon

Hey,

count me in!

I am also not a native English speaker, and it surely is optimizable, but it
should be readable, though. I also did some german docs in the past (though
not as much as Christian ).

If i got it correctly, docbook is similair to html, so that won't be any
problem. Nevertheless i am wondering if the docbook reference (link mailed by
richard before) has a downloadable version? Coz I am on a trip this weekend,
inlcuding ~10hrs in a train without internet connection...

Besides, this page does not seem to exist
https://wiki.kubuntu.org/DocumenationTeam There are some suggestions, but i
cannot make out a starting page.

Cheers
Arthur

Old 11-20-2009, 06:39 PM
Jonathan Jesse

I am also not a native English speaker, and it surely is optimizable, but it

should be readable, though. I also did some german docs in the past (though

not as much as Christian ).

If i got it correctly, docbook is similair to html, so that won't be any

problem. Nevertheless i am wondering if the docbook reference (link mailed by

richard before) has a downloadable version? Coz I am on a trip this weekend,

inlcuding ~10hrs in a train without internet connection...

Besides, this page does not seem to exist

https://wiki.kubuntu.org/DocumenationTeam There are some suggestions, but i

cannot make out a starting page.

Cheers

Arthur

On Thursday 19 November 2009 16:16:37 Richard JOHNSON wrote:

> Hola!

> OK, I am starting to plan on how to go about doing the documentation for

> Lucid. Right now there is no doubt that a complete rewrite is necessary for

> us to even have something decent, as updating the old documentation would

> just be a royal pain. As some of you may know we use a topic based

> approach, though quite fake in our setup, and a bit of a pain as well. I

> have started outlining the topics to cover with our system documentation

> [1].

> Note, if you are interested in helping to contribute to the docs this

> session, please do speak up. We use DocBook/XML with the Article !DOCTYPE.

> It is very simple markup and if you can figure out HTML then DocBook should

> be just as easy.

> We will continue using DocBook/XML until something better comes along to

> suit our needs. Because of this we do not write documentation on the wiki,

> though we do use documentation from the wiki. If you do not know how to

> DocBook and don't want to learn it, you are free to send a .txt file or

> such and one of us (myself or Jonathan Jesse) can convert it to DocBook for

> you.

> If you can think of any other topics that NEED to be covered, please add

> them under the section 'Needed Topics' at the bottom of the wiki page [1].

> Thanks!

> [1] https://wiki.kubuntu.org/Kubuntu/Documentation/Lucid

For those that are new to to writing docbook xml feel free to send anything over to me that you have written in a txt file or in email aqnd I can put it the documentation.* To start learning docbook you can check out the kubuntu-docs branch (bzr branch lp:kubuntu-docs) and take a look at exactly what is going on there.* It isn't very hard to learn once you start reading it and making changes.

Also feel free to drop me a line on #kubuntu-devel or #ubuntu-docs as jjesse