Old 11-13-2009, 08:10 PM
Scott Kitterman

Default Use "desktop" in a disambiguous way: get rid of the desktop folder

On Fri, 13 Nov 2009 13:14:29 -0500 Andrea Canidio <acanidio@gmail.com>
wrote:
>Hi Everybody,
>
>thanks to the folder view plasmoid, now the Desktop folder does not need
to be
>on the desktop anymore: one could have the Home directory or the directory
>corresponding to the project he is working on in that period.
>
>Therefore thinks like "show the Desktop" become ambiguous: a user may
expect
>Dolphin to open and show the desktop folder. There are several other cases
>where I think this is an issue, like "save to Desktop": meaning, in the
folder
>that I have currently on the Desktop or in my Desktop folder?
>
>It seems to me that in Kde4 the Desktop folder is just a regular folder.
So to
>avoid confusion, perhaps we should eliminate it, or call it something else.

I can see your point, but the XDG specs mandate that one. From just a KDE
perspective, another name might make sense, but I think for Free Desktop
compatibility, we need to stick with it for now.

I think the first step for this is at freedesktop.org.

Scott K