Old 11-13-2009, 05:14 PM
Andrea Canidio

Default Use "desktop" in a disambiguous way: get rid of the desktop folder

Hi Everybody,

thanks to the folder view plasmoid, now the Desktop folder does not need to be
on the desktop anymore: one could have the Home directory or the directory
corresponding to the project he is working on in that period.

Therefore thinks like "show the Desktop" become ambiguous: a user may expect
Dolphin to open and show the desktop folder. There are several other cases
where I think this is an issue, like "save to Desktop": meaning, in the folder
that I have currently on the Desktop or in my Desktop folder?

It seems to me that in Kde4 the Desktop folder is just a regular folder. So to
avoid confusion, perhaps we should eliminate it, or call it something else.

Cheers!

Andrea

Old 11-13-2009, 05:33 PM
Seth Hikari

I too use plasmoid to display my folders but I also use it to display
the desktop folder. It is a lot less cluttered to display the few
things I keep on the desktop folder the my home folder or any other.
Just like in other OSs it is really just a folder. I think it is
important for users and programs that it stays that way because it is
a special folder. So unless it is removed in some way in other OSs we
should keep it the same. Just my take on it.

Sent from my iPod Touch

Old 11-13-2009, 08:26 PM
Andrea Canidio

Can the Desktop folder be only a link to whatever folder you actually have on
the desktop? This would be another way to make the word "desktop" less
ambiguous.

Alternatively, we keep the desktop folder and we call desktop something else,
like "workplace", so that we have "show the workplace" instead of "show the
desktop" and so on.

Cheers!

Andrea

Old 11-13-2009, 08:49 PM
Arthur Schiwon

> I can see your point, but the XDG specs mandate that one.

Isn't it so, that the variable XDG_DESKTOP_DIR should be set? This doesn't
need to be "$HOME/Desktop", does it? Personally, I set it to Documents,
anyway.

(Another curious/annoying thing is that downloading a file with Konqueror, the
save dialog does not start at XDG_DOWNLOAD_DIR by default)

Cheers
Arthur

Old 11-17-2009, 12:01 PM
Thomas Olsen

On Friday 13 November 2009 22:26:22 Andrea Canidio wrote:
> Can the Desktop folder be only a link to whatever folder you actually have
> on the desktop? This would be another way to make the word "desktop" less
> ambiguous.
>
> Alternatively, we keep the desktop folder and we call desktop something
> else, like "workplace", so that we have "show the workplace" instead of
> "show the desktop" and so on.

+1 for Workplace. I still miss the OS/2 days with the Workplace Shell :-) The
best GUI I have ever used.

--
Best Regards / Med venlig hilsen

Thomas Olsen