FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Ubuntu > Kubuntu Development

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 11-09-2009, 12:41 AM
John Mutch
 
Default kubuntu-devel Digest, Vol 59, Issue 10

On 11/8/09, kubuntu-devel-request@lists.ubuntu.com
<kubuntu-devel-request@lists.ubuntu.com> wrote:
> Send kubuntu-devel mailing list submissions to
> kubuntu-devel@lists.ubuntu.com
>
> To subscribe or unsubscribe via the World Wide Web, visit
> https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-devel
> or, via email, send a message with subject or body 'help' to
> kubuntu-devel-request@lists.ubuntu.com
>
> You can reach the person managing the list at
> kubuntu-devel-owner@lists.ubuntu.com
>
> When replying, please edit your Subject line so it is more specific
> than "Re: Contents of kubuntu-devel digest..."
>
>
> Today's Topics:
>
> 1. Kubuntu problem (John Mutch)
> 2. Re: Project timelord - Kubuntu in one sentence (Andrea Canidio)
> 3. Re: Kubuntu problem (A. Tres Finocchiaro)
> 4. Re: wpa and broadcom card (Jonathan Jesse)
> 5. Re: wpa and broadcom card (Juan)
> 6. Re: wpa and broadcom card (Scott Kitterman)
>
>
> ----------------------------------------------------------------------
>
> Message: 1
> Date: Sun, 8 Nov 2009 16:27:04 +0000
> From: John Mutch <john.mutch@gmail.com>
> Subject: Kubuntu problem
> To: kubuntu-devel@lists.ubuntu.com
> Message-ID:
> <e254daff0911080827heea2084t2aa26ae70427a031@mail. gmail.com>
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset=ISO-8859-1
>
> I am new to Linux and Kubuntu and am not sure who should receive this
> information, so I will try here. I tried to install Kubuntu on a
> Toshiba Satellite A45 2.6 GHZ, 2GB RAM, 160GB hard drive that also had
> Windows XP and Windows 7 RC installed. There was about 10 GB hard
> drive space available for Kubuntu. On rebooting after the Kubuntu
> installation attempt an error message appeared vice the computer boot
> :
> Grub loading
> error: No such partition
> Grub rescue >
>
> Had I known how to do it, the repair probably would have been easy.
> It seems there needs to be three Kubuntu partitions, including a swap
> file. I don't know the proper names for these partitions nor how to
> set them up. Clear step by step procedures would be appreciated. It
> seems the swap file should be about 500MB from what one of the web
> sites said.
>
> I have tried to fdisk the hard drive to remove everything and start
> again, but the above error message appears every time the computer is
> rebooted and I have been unable to remove the error message. It is
> probably easy to do from Grub rescue if the required commands are
> known.
>
> I teach an introductory computer class and have started talking about
> and showing a Linux OS to the class. Frequently at least one student
> knows a lot about Linux and most are interested in learning more.
>
> Any assistance on improving Kubuntu and explanation on how to restore
> my computer will be appreciated.
>
> John Mutch
> john.mutch@gmail.com
>
>
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Message: 2
> Date: Sun, 8 Nov 2009 11:37:42 -0500
> From: Andrea Canidio <acanidio@gmail.com>
> Subject: Re: Project timelord - Kubuntu in one sentence
> To: Kubuntu Developer Discussion <kubuntu-devel@lists.ubuntu.com>
> Message-ID: <200911081137.42808.acanidio@gmail.com>
> Content-Type: Text/Plain; charset="iso-8859-15"
>
> Hi everybody,
> thanks a lot for your feedback! I just wanted to make a clarification. I
> think
> it is important to find the sentence that represents Kubuntu, but is is also
> very important to do it with method. This would really help with the mission
> statement. I organized the problem in 3 steps:
>
> -what makes Kubuntu different than Ubuntu?
> -what makes Kubuntu different that other KDE distro?
>
> -What is the target-user? (given the answers to the two questions above,
> someone that likely to enjoy Kubuntu more than Ubuntu and any other distro).
>
> -how would you describe Kubuntu in one sentence? (thinking that your
> audience
> is the person described above)
>
> There are probably other ways to break it down, but this seems to me the
> simplest. Any feedback on this would be greatly appreciated. Maybe at one
> point it would be possible to launch a poll to see how the members of the
> community answer these questions.
> Cheers
> Andrea
>
>
>
> On Sunday 08 November 2009 03:38:24 am A. Tres Finocchiaro wrote:
>> I agree with Andrea's points that KDE users like a fancy, customizable
>> interface without much hassle.
>>
>> Here's my 2 cents.
>>
>> KDE, the Kustomized Desktop Environment (think LG, Life Is Good)
>> KDE, All flare, no fuss.
>> KDE, The Ferrari of computing.
>> KDE, Cutting Edge Computing
>> KDE, Revolutionize the Desktop
>>
>> -Tres
>>
>> On Sun, Nov 8, 2009 at 3:37 AM, A. Tres Finocchiaro <
>>
>> tres.finocchiaro@gmail.com> wrote:
>> > I agree with Andrea's points that KDE users like a fancy, customizable
>> > interface without much hassle.
>> >
>> > Here's my 2 cents.
>> >
>> > KDE, the Kustomized Desktop Environment (think LG, Life Is Good)
>> > KDE, All flare, no fuss.
>> > KDE, The Ferrari of computing.
>> > KDE, Cutting Edge Computing
>> > KDE, Revolutionize the Desktop
>> >
>> > -Tres
>> >
>> > On Sat, Nov 7, 2009 at 8:09 PM, Dave Thacker <dthacker9@cox.net> wrote:
>> >> On Saturday 07 November 2009 18:56:50 Andrea Canidio wrote:
>> >> > I'm a Kubuntu user and I would like to share with you my thoughts
>> >> > about project timelord, in particular about the need of a clear
>> >> > mission statement.
>> >> >
>> >> > Ubuntu is "linux for human being". This short sentence summarizes
>> >> > many
>> >>
>> >> of
>> >>
>> >> > the project goals: ease to use, simple, intuitive. Hence, for
>> >> > example,
>> >>
>> >> the
>> >>
>> >> > choice of Gnome over KDE.
>> >> >
>> >> > Can we come up with a similar sentence for Kubuntu? It seems to me
>> >> > that: -Kde is more about choice and customization than Gnome. So, it
>> >> > seems
>> >>
>> >> more
>> >>
>> >> > natural to me for Kubuntu to target a more experienced user than
>> >> > than
>> >> > someone switching to linux for the first time.
>> >> > -If we really resolve the browser issue and the new Akonadi framework
>> >> > starts bearing fruits, it will be possible to use 100% kde apps for
>> >> > 90%
>> >>
>> >> of
>> >>
>> >> > the tasks. This implies greater integration and consistency than
>> >> > Ubuntu (since it uses Firefox and most people use Thunderbird instead
>> >> > than Evolution).
>> >> >
>> >> > Therefore:
>> >> > -with respect to other Distro, Kubuntu is easy to install: no need to
>> >>
>> >> mess
>> >>
>> >> > around for hardware recognition and so on.
>> >> > -with respect to Ubuntu, Kubuntu offers more choice and at the same
>> >> > time more consistency.
>> >> >
>> >> > The natural audience for the project is someone that love to spend
>> >> > time changing all the system settings until his desktop really look
>> >> > the way
>> >>
>> >> he
>> >>
>> >> > likes, but he hates having to waste time figuring out how to have a
>> >>
>> >> piece
>> >>
>> >> > of hardware recognized.
>> >> >
>> >> > Finally, here is my proposition "Kubuntu: be you, be cool"
>> >> > (well, this may not be exactly a piece of art, and, to be honest, I'm
>> >>
>> >> not
>> >>
>> >> > even a native english speaker, but you get the idea)
>> >>
>> >> This KDE user likes it!
>> >>
>> >> Dave Thacker
>> >> Ubuntu Nebraska LoCo Team
>> >>
>> >>
>> >>
>> >>
>> >> --
>> >> kubuntu-devel mailing list
>> >> kubuntu-devel@lists.ubuntu.com
>> >> Modify settings or unsubscribe at:
>> >> https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-devel
>> >
>> > --
>> > - Tres.Finocchiaro@gmail.com
>>
>
>
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Message: 3
> Date: Sun, 8 Nov 2009 12:20:21 -0500
> From: "A. Tres Finocchiaro" <fatbuttlarry@gmail.com>
> Subject: Re: Kubuntu problem
> To: Kubuntu Developer Discussion <kubuntu-devel@lists.ubuntu.com>
> Message-ID:
> <e9084d080911080920n3f343490lf893c9b5ec076088@mail .gmail.com>
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1"
>
> The installer should create the partitions for you. The list could likely
> give you the partition steps for a fresh install, but I haven't done that in
> years as the installer does it just fine.
>
> Is there a possibility that grub just has the partitions mixed up? There's
> parameters you can pass to switch the mappings around, but they kind of get
> confusing.
>
> I'd seriously recommend the Ubuntu live CD (not Kubuntu) and try to follow
> some boot sector tutorials from the "users" forums, probably including
> gparted.
>
> You probably know this, but if you type the wrong command with fdisk, you
> can wipe out one of your windows drives. I'd recommend getting a sanity
> check with gparted (or "Disk Partitioner, whatever it's called these days)
> and then trying to reinstall grub from the Live CD so that Windows 7 and XP
> are accessible.
>
> FYI, I'm dualbooting Windows 7 beta and Ubuntu 9.10 final right now on a 64
> bit box without any issues, but I used the Windows Installer from the Ubuntu
> site.
>
> -Tres
>
> On Sun, Nov 8, 2009 at 11:27 AM, John Mutch <john.mutch@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> I am new to Linux and Kubuntu and am not sure who should receive this
>> information, so I will try here. I tried to install Kubuntu on a
>> Toshiba Satellite A45 2.6 GHZ, 2GB RAM, 160GB hard drive that also had
>> Windows XP and Windows 7 RC installed. There was about 10 GB hard
>> drive space available for Kubuntu. On rebooting after the Kubuntu
>> installation attempt an error message appeared vice the computer boot
>> :
>> Grub loading
>> error: No such partition
>> Grub rescue >
>>
>> Had I known how to do it, the repair probably would have been easy.
>> It seems there needs to be three Kubuntu partitions, including a swap
>> file. I don't know the proper names for these partitions nor how to
>> set them up. Clear step by step procedures would be appreciated. It
>> seems the swap file should be about 500MB from what one of the web
>> sites said.
>>
>> I have tried to fdisk the hard drive to remove everything and start
>> again, but the above error message appears every time the computer is
>> rebooted and I have been unable to remove the error message. It is
>> probably easy to do from Grub rescue if the required commands are
>> known.
>>
>> I teach an introductory computer class and have started talking about
>> and showing a Linux OS to the class. Frequently at least one student
>> knows a lot about Linux and most are interested in learning more.
>>
>> Any assistance on improving Kubuntu and explanation on how to restore
>> my computer will be appreciated.
>>
>> John Mutch
>> john.mutch@gmail.com
>>
>> --
>> kubuntu-devel mailing list
>> kubuntu-devel@lists.ubuntu.com
>> Modify settings or unsubscribe at:
>> https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-devel
>>
>
>
>
> --
> - Tres.Finocchiaro@gmail.com
> -------------- next part --------------
> An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
> URL:
> https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/kubuntu-devel/attachments/20091108/5080bc29/attachment-0001.htm
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Message: 4
> Date: Sun, 8 Nov 2009 16:58:31 -0500
> From: Jonathan Jesse <jjesse@gmail.com>
> Subject: Re: wpa and broadcom card
> To: Kubuntu Developer Discussion <kubuntu-devel@lists.ubuntu.com>
> Message-ID:
> <c8dad2b10911081358t7a481193v3983283217dd7d1@mail. gmail.com>
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1"
>
> Good afternoon guys
>
> this has reared its head today again for me. not able to connect to my wpa
> wireless. Was working fine, but just stopped working today.
>
> keep on getting prompted for the password which ive verified is correct
>
> On Wed, Oct 21, 2009 at 6:27 PM, Juan Marcelo Rodr??guez Monti <
> juan@rodriguezmonti.com.ar> wrote:
>
>> chuck adams escribi?:
>> > On Mon, 2009-10-19 at 22:39 -0300, Juan wrote:
>> >
>> >> 2009/10/19 Jonathan Jesse <jjesse@gmail.com>:
>> >>
>> >>> updates today fixed my problems, will let yo uknow if I continue to
>> have
>> >>> problems.
>> >>>
>> >>> Thanks guys
>> >>>
>> >> Hi guys, I'm gonna install and test. Thanks if the problem is solved!.
>> >>
>> >> Juan
>> >>
>> >>
>> >
>> > I installed todays ubuntu karmic-netbook-remix-i386 iso and created
>> > bootable USB memory. Installed into a lenovo s10 netbook.
>> >
>> > No detection of broadcom bcm4312 card.
>> >
>> I installed today, with yesterday's version of daily-live of Ubuntu, and
>> the card wasn't detected. I tried, then, the app jockey-gtk that showed
>> me two available drivers and this application crashed.
>>
>> It entered in a kind of loop, and freezed the machine. Then I killed the
>> app with kill, and the system came back.
>>
>> Again: Ubuntu Jaunty detects perfectly the card. I don't know what gone
>> wrong in the development/upgrade.
>>
>> In older versions of Karmic, I was able to install the card with certain
>> kernel version ( no the default one ), however, I wasn't able to use
>> properly because I wasn't able to connect to protected networks. I don't
>> know if this is a driver or kde-nework-manage issue.
>>
>> I hope this get better. Might be the next stable version solves this. Or
>> it's possible to use it after some tweaking.
>>
>> Thanks guys!.
>>
>> Juan
>>
>> --
>> kubuntu-devel mailing list
>> kubuntu-devel@lists.ubuntu.com
>> Modify settings or unsubscribe at:
>> https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-devel
>>
> -------------- next part --------------
> An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
> URL:
> https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/kubuntu-devel/attachments/20091108/18f484e1/attachment-0001.htm
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Message: 5
> Date: Sun, 8 Nov 2009 19:40:11 -0300
> From: Juan <juan@rodriguezmonti.com.ar>
> Subject: Re: wpa and broadcom card
> To: Kubuntu Developer Discussion <kubuntu-devel@lists.ubuntu.com>
> Message-ID:
> <901f0c240911081440s6e975834va7f3b6702fb35a83@mail .gmail.com>
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset=ISO-8859-1
>
> 2009/11/8 Jonathan Jesse <jjesse@gmail.com>:
>> Good afternoon guys
>>
>> this has reared its head today again for me.? not able to connect to my
>> wpa
>> wireless.? Was working fine, but just stopped working today.
>>
>> keep on getting prompted for the password which ive verified is correct
>
> Hi, I had problems with Karmic 9.10 with the broadcom card, too.
>
> However, I discovered that If I use another kernel version, after
> installing the broadcom driver, the card works. So, I connect to the
> Internet with my wired connection, then I install the broadcom driver
> with aptitude or apt-get, and finally I install a new kernel version.
>
> When I install the new kernel, the driver is activated. Then, I reboot
> and the driver works. I'm using now 2.6.31-14-generi, might be you
> install a new kernel, then install the driver for the default version
> of the kernel of Karmic.
>
> I discovered another interesting thing: I was able to activate the
> driver using jockey-kde from the live cd, and it works perfectly.
> However after I install from the same live cd, I wasn't able to
> activate it, and I got the same awful problem; I press activate in
> jockey, and nothing happens.
>
> Finally, I discovered that the problem is not with the broadcom driver
> itself, I'm using now wicd insted of network manager of kde 4 that is
> still buggy.
>
> So, try a new kernel, try to use jockey-kde, try to go to
> pool-restricted after install karmic and re-install the package from
> broadcom, and finally install wicd. All that works.
>
> If you have any doubts, contact me.
>
> Juan
>
>
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Message: 6
> Date: Sun, 08 Nov 2009 18:03:58 -0500
> From: Scott Kitterman <ubuntu@kitterman.com>
> Subject: Re: wpa and broadcom card
> To: Kubuntu Developer Discussion <kubuntu-devel@lists.ubuntu.com>
> Message-ID: <33968-SnapperMsgD8DB99B6C71CFEEF@[75.227.103.75]>
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset=ISO-8859-1
>
> On Sun, 8 Nov 2009 19:40:11 -0300 Juan <juan@rodriguezmonti.com.ar> wrote:
>>2009/11/8 Jonathan Jesse <jjesse@gmail.com>:
>>> Good afternoon guys
>>>
>>> this has reared its head today again for me.? not able to connect to my
>>> wpa
>>> wireless.? Was working fine, but just stopped working today.
>>>
>>> keep on getting prompted for the password which ive verified is correct
>>
>>Hi, I had problems with Karmic 9.10 with the broadcom card, too.
>>
>>However, I discovered that If I use another kernel version, after
>>installing the broadcom driver, the card works. So, I connect to the
>>Internet with my wired connection, then I install the broadcom driver
>>with aptitude or apt-get, and finally I install a new kernel version.
>>
>>When I install the new kernel, the driver is activated. Then, I reboot
>>and the driver works. I'm using now 2.6.31-14-generi, might be you
>>install a new kernel, then install the driver for the default version
>>of the kernel of Karmic.
>>
>>I discovered another interesting thing: I was able to activate the
>>driver using jockey-kde from the live cd, and it works perfectly.
>>However after I install from the same live cd, I wasn't able to
>>activate it, and I got the same awful problem; I press activate in
>>jockey, and nothing happens.
>>
>>Finally, I discovered that the problem is not with the broadcom driver
>>itself, I'm using now wicd insted of network manager of kde 4 that is
>>still buggy.
>>
>>So, try a new kernel, try to use jockey-kde, try to go to
>>pool-restricted after install karmic and re-install the package from
>>broadcom, and finally install wicd. All that works.
>
> There is an item in the release notes about Jockey failing when there is no
> local package cache. This is why it works in the live CD, but not after
> install until you connect via wired and check for updates.
>
> There's been some discussion about Jockey and Nvidia problems with different
> kernel versions on ubtuntu-devel. I wonder if it affects wifi too?
>
> Scott K
>
>
>
> ------------------------------
>
> --
> kubuntu-devel mailing list
> kubuntu-devel@lists.ubuntu.com
> Modify settings or unsubscribe at:
> https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-devel
>
>
> End of kubuntu-devel Digest, Vol 59, Issue 10
> *********************************************
>


--
John Mutch

--
kubuntu-devel mailing list
kubuntu-devel@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-devel
 
Old 11-09-2009, 01:18 AM
John Mutch
 
Default kubuntu-devel Digest, Vol 59, Issue 10

Thanks for the reply. After many hours I finally figured out how this
works, at least to some extent. After trying to install Kubuntu
several ways as multi-boot and after having erased the Windows
partitions with fdisk, I installed Kubuntu in a single partition of
160 GB, the entire hard drive. The first time I loaded the program
there was only one partition. The second time there were two
partitions and the third time there were the three partitions. It
took me hours to find out they are called /, /boot, and /swap. The
drive labels were not correct and it only booted by going to recovery
mode. I think the final improvement was using the step 6 Recovery
mode that downloaded a number of updates that finally seems to have it
working. I may use this instead of Windows and will be showing it to
my students. It is nice the program will run from the CD as that
makes it a lot easier. I like the memory test function. I learned
more about this computers memory than I knew. Another great feature
is the music and books that are available. Windows may have these,
but this found them easier and there seems to be more music and books.
I will have to read your email carefully as I have only glanced at it
so far, since Kubuntu is working. It is also great that Linux will
read Windows Powerpoint, Word, and Excel files. For people that know
the Linux commands this setup is surely easy at the command prompt. I
made some good guesses on how to use the disk recovery functions after
some difficulty and wrong moves. It was definitely an interesting
experience, and I am motivated to learn more.

I watched some of a Podcast today of Linus and other developers. That
will be another great resource for class. If you or others know of
good podcasts etc that we could use in class that would be
appreciated. Even though Windows is the main concentration of our
class it is good to be able to talk of Linux, and Mac.


One advantage Windows seems to have over Linux is that in Gmail
Windows allows clicking on one email, and holding shift and click
another file to tag all of them. So far I don't know how to do that
with Linux. I have signed up with several Linux groups, hope to
search them for more knowledge

Thanks and best wishes.

John Mutch

On 11/9/09, John Mutch <john.mutch@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 11/8/09, kubuntu-devel-request@lists.ubuntu.com
> <kubuntu-devel-request@lists.ubuntu.com> wrote:
>> Send kubuntu-devel mailing list submissions to
>> kubuntu-devel@lists.ubuntu.com
>>
>> To subscribe or unsubscribe via the World Wide Web, visit
>> https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-devel
>> or, via email, send a message with subject or body 'help' to
>> kubuntu-devel-request@lists.ubuntu.com
>>
>> You can reach the person managing the list at
>> kubuntu-devel-owner@lists.ubuntu.com
>>
>> When replying, please edit your Subject line so it is more specific
>> than "Re: Contents of kubuntu-devel digest..."
>>
>>
>> Today's Topics:
>>
>> 1. Kubuntu problem (John Mutch)
>> 2. Re: Project timelord - Kubuntu in one sentence (Andrea Canidio)
>> 3. Re: Kubuntu problem (A. Tres Finocchiaro)
>> 4. Re: wpa and broadcom card (Jonathan Jesse)
>> 5. Re: wpa and broadcom card (Juan)
>> 6. Re: wpa and broadcom card (Scott Kitterman)
>>
>>
>> ----------------------------------------------------------------------
>>
>> Message: 1
>> Date: Sun, 8 Nov 2009 16:27:04 +0000
>> From: John Mutch <john.mutch@gmail.com>
>> Subject: Kubuntu problem
>> To: kubuntu-devel@lists.ubuntu.com
>> Message-ID:
>> <e254daff0911080827heea2084t2aa26ae70427a031@mail. gmail.com>
>> Content-Type: text/plain; charset=ISO-8859-1
>>
>> I am new to Linux and Kubuntu and am not sure who should receive this
>> information, so I will try here. I tried to install Kubuntu on a
>> Toshiba Satellite A45 2.6 GHZ, 2GB RAM, 160GB hard drive that also had
>> Windows XP and Windows 7 RC installed. There was about 10 GB hard
>> drive space available for Kubuntu. On rebooting after the Kubuntu
>> installation attempt an error message appeared vice the computer boot
>> :
>> Grub loading
>> error: No such partition
>> Grub rescue >
>>
>> Had I known how to do it, the repair probably would have been easy.
>> It seems there needs to be three Kubuntu partitions, including a swap
>> file. I don't know the proper names for these partitions nor how to
>> set them up. Clear step by step procedures would be appreciated. It
>> seems the swap file should be about 500MB from what one of the web
>> sites said.
>>
>> I have tried to fdisk the hard drive to remove everything and start
>> again, but the above error message appears every time the computer is
>> rebooted and I have been unable to remove the error message. It is
>> probably easy to do from Grub rescue if the required commands are
>> known.
>>
>> I teach an introductory computer class and have started talking about
>> and showing a Linux OS to the class. Frequently at least one student
>> knows a lot about Linux and most are interested in learning more.
>>
>> Any assistance on improving Kubuntu and explanation on how to restore
>> my computer will be appreciated.
>>
>> John Mutch
>> john.mutch@gmail.com
>>
>>
>>
>> ------------------------------
>>
>> Message: 2
>> Date: Sun, 8 Nov 2009 11:37:42 -0500
>> From: Andrea Canidio <acanidio@gmail.com>
>> Subject: Re: Project timelord - Kubuntu in one sentence
>> To: Kubuntu Developer Discussion <kubuntu-devel@lists.ubuntu.com>
>> Message-ID: <200911081137.42808.acanidio@gmail.com>
>> Content-Type: Text/Plain; charset="iso-8859-15"
>>
>> Hi everybody,
>> thanks a lot for your feedback! I just wanted to make a clarification. I
>> think
>> it is important to find the sentence that represents Kubuntu, but is is
>> also
>> very important to do it with method. This would really help with the
>> mission
>> statement. I organized the problem in 3 steps:
>>
>> -what makes Kubuntu different than Ubuntu?
>> -what makes Kubuntu different that other KDE distro?
>>
>> -What is the target-user? (given the answers to the two questions above,
>> someone that likely to enjoy Kubuntu more than Ubuntu and any other
>> distro).
>>
>> -how would you describe Kubuntu in one sentence? (thinking that your
>> audience
>> is the person described above)
>>
>> There are probably other ways to break it down, but this seems to me the
>> simplest. Any feedback on this would be greatly appreciated. Maybe at one
>> point it would be possible to launch a poll to see how the members of the
>> community answer these questions.
>> Cheers
>> Andrea
>>
>>
>>
>> On Sunday 08 November 2009 03:38:24 am A. Tres Finocchiaro wrote:
>>> I agree with Andrea's points that KDE users like a fancy, customizable
>>> interface without much hassle.
>>>
>>> Here's my 2 cents.
>>>
>>> KDE, the Kustomized Desktop Environment (think LG, Life Is Good)
>>> KDE, All flare, no fuss.
>>> KDE, The Ferrari of computing.
>>> KDE, Cutting Edge Computing
>>> KDE, Revolutionize the Desktop
>>>
>>> -Tres
>>>
>>> On Sun, Nov 8, 2009 at 3:37 AM, A. Tres Finocchiaro <
>>>
>>> tres.finocchiaro@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> > I agree with Andrea's points that KDE users like a fancy, customizable
>>> > interface without much hassle.
>>> >
>>> > Here's my 2 cents.
>>> >
>>> > KDE, the Kustomized Desktop Environment (think LG, Life Is Good)
>>> > KDE, All flare, no fuss.
>>> > KDE, The Ferrari of computing.
>>> > KDE, Cutting Edge Computing
>>> > KDE, Revolutionize the Desktop
>>> >
>>> > -Tres
>>> >
>>> > On Sat, Nov 7, 2009 at 8:09 PM, Dave Thacker <dthacker9@cox.net>
>>> > wrote:
>>> >> On Saturday 07 November 2009 18:56:50 Andrea Canidio wrote:
>>> >> > I'm a Kubuntu user and I would like to share with you my thoughts
>>> >> > about project timelord, in particular about the need of a clear
>>> >> > mission statement.
>>> >> >
>>> >> > Ubuntu is "linux for human being". This short sentence summarizes
>>> >> > many
>>> >>
>>> >> of
>>> >>
>>> >> > the project goals: ease to use, simple, intuitive. Hence, for
>>> >> > example,
>>> >>
>>> >> the
>>> >>
>>> >> > choice of Gnome over KDE.
>>> >> >
>>> >> > Can we come up with a similar sentence for Kubuntu? It seems to me
>>> >> > that: -Kde is more about choice and customization than Gnome. So,
>>> >> > it
>>> >> > seems
>>> >>
>>> >> more
>>> >>
>>> >> > natural to me for Kubuntu to target a more experienced user than
>>> >> > than
>>> >> > someone switching to linux for the first time.
>>> >> > -If we really resolve the browser issue and the new Akonadi
>>> >> > framework
>>> >> > starts bearing fruits, it will be possible to use 100% kde apps for
>>> >> > 90%
>>> >>
>>> >> of
>>> >>
>>> >> > the tasks. This implies greater integration and consistency than
>>> >> > Ubuntu (since it uses Firefox and most people use Thunderbird
>>> >> > instead
>>> >> > than Evolution).
>>> >> >
>>> >> > Therefore:
>>> >> > -with respect to other Distro, Kubuntu is easy to install: no need
>>> >> > to
>>> >>
>>> >> mess
>>> >>
>>> >> > around for hardware recognition and so on.
>>> >> > -with respect to Ubuntu, Kubuntu offers more choice and at the same
>>> >> > time more consistency.
>>> >> >
>>> >> > The natural audience for the project is someone that love to spend
>>> >> > time changing all the system settings until his desktop really look
>>> >> > the way
>>> >>
>>> >> he
>>> >>
>>> >> > likes, but he hates having to waste time figuring out how to have a
>>> >>
>>> >> piece
>>> >>
>>> >> > of hardware recognized.
>>> >> >
>>> >> > Finally, here is my proposition "Kubuntu: be you, be cool"
>>> >> > (well, this may not be exactly a piece of art, and, to be honest,
>>> >> > I'm
>>> >>
>>> >> not
>>> >>
>>> >> > even a native english speaker, but you get the idea)
>>> >>
>>> >> This KDE user likes it!
>>> >>
>>> >> Dave Thacker
>>> >> Ubuntu Nebraska LoCo Team
>>> >>
>>> >>
>>> >>
>>> >>
>>> >> --
>>> >> kubuntu-devel mailing list
>>> >> kubuntu-devel@lists.ubuntu.com
>>> >> Modify settings or unsubscribe at:
>>> >> https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-devel
>>> >
>>> > --
>>> > - Tres.Finocchiaro@gmail.com
>>>
>>
>>
>>
>> ------------------------------
>>
>> Message: 3
>> Date: Sun, 8 Nov 2009 12:20:21 -0500
>> From: "A. Tres Finocchiaro" <fatbuttlarry@gmail.com>
>> Subject: Re: Kubuntu problem
>> To: Kubuntu Developer Discussion <kubuntu-devel@lists.ubuntu.com>
>> Message-ID:
>> <e9084d080911080920n3f343490lf893c9b5ec076088@mail .gmail.com>
>> Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1"
>>
>> The installer should create the partitions for you. The list could
>> likely
>> give you the partition steps for a fresh install, but I haven't done that
>> in
>> years as the installer does it just fine.
>>
>> Is there a possibility that grub just has the partitions mixed up?
>> There's
>> parameters you can pass to switch the mappings around, but they kind of
>> get
>> confusing.
>>
>> I'd seriously recommend the Ubuntu live CD (not Kubuntu) and try to
>> follow
>> some boot sector tutorials from the "users" forums, probably including
>> gparted.
>>
>> You probably know this, but if you type the wrong command with fdisk, you
>> can wipe out one of your windows drives. I'd recommend getting a sanity
>> check with gparted (or "Disk Partitioner, whatever it's called these
>> days)
>> and then trying to reinstall grub from the Live CD so that Windows 7 and
>> XP
>> are accessible.
>>
>> FYI, I'm dualbooting Windows 7 beta and Ubuntu 9.10 final right now on a
>> 64
>> bit box without any issues, but I used the Windows Installer from the
>> Ubuntu
>> site.
>>
>> -Tres
>>
>> On Sun, Nov 8, 2009 at 11:27 AM, John Mutch <john.mutch@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> I am new to Linux and Kubuntu and am not sure who should receive this
>>> information, so I will try here. I tried to install Kubuntu on a
>>> Toshiba Satellite A45 2.6 GHZ, 2GB RAM, 160GB hard drive that also had
>>> Windows XP and Windows 7 RC installed. There was about 10 GB hard
>>> drive space available for Kubuntu. On rebooting after the Kubuntu
>>> installation attempt an error message appeared vice the computer boot
>>> :
>>> Grub loading
>>> error: No such partition
>>> Grub rescue >
>>>
>>> Had I known how to do it, the repair probably would have been easy.
>>> It seems there needs to be three Kubuntu partitions, including a swap
>>> file. I don't know the proper names for these partitions nor how to
>>> set them up. Clear step by step procedures would be appreciated. It
>>> seems the swap file should be about 500MB from what one of the web
>>> sites said.
>>>
>>> I have tried to fdisk the hard drive to remove everything and start
>>> again, but the above error message appears every time the computer is
>>> rebooted and I have been unable to remove the error message. It is
>>> probably easy to do from Grub rescue if the required commands are
>>> known.
>>>
>>> I teach an introductory computer class and have started talking about
>>> and showing a Linux OS to the class. Frequently at least one student
>>> knows a lot about Linux and most are interested in learning more.
>>>
>>> Any assistance on improving Kubuntu and explanation on how to restore
>>> my computer will be appreciated.
>>>
>>> John Mutch
>>> john.mutch@gmail.com
>>>
>>> --
>>> kubuntu-devel mailing list
>>> kubuntu-devel@lists.ubuntu.com
>>> Modify settings or unsubscribe at:
>>> https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-devel
>>>
>>
>>
>>
>> --
>> - Tres.Finocchiaro@gmail.com
>> -------------- next part --------------
>> An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
>> URL:
>> https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/kubuntu-devel/attachments/20091108/5080bc29/attachment-0001.htm
>>
>> ------------------------------
>>
>> Message: 4
>> Date: Sun, 8 Nov 2009 16:58:31 -0500
>> From: Jonathan Jesse <jjesse@gmail.com>
>> Subject: Re: wpa and broadcom card
>> To: Kubuntu Developer Discussion <kubuntu-devel@lists.ubuntu.com>
>> Message-ID:
>> <c8dad2b10911081358t7a481193v3983283217dd7d1@mail. gmail.com>
>> Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1"
>>
>> Good afternoon guys
>>
>> this has reared its head today again for me. not able to connect to my
>> wpa
>> wireless. Was working fine, but just stopped working today.
>>
>> keep on getting prompted for the password which ive verified is correct
>>
>> On Wed, Oct 21, 2009 at 6:27 PM, Juan Marcelo Rodr??guez Monti <
>> juan@rodriguezmonti.com.ar> wrote:
>>
>>> chuck adams escribi?:
>>> > On Mon, 2009-10-19 at 22:39 -0300, Juan wrote:
>>> >
>>> >> 2009/10/19 Jonathan Jesse <jjesse@gmail.com>:
>>> >>
>>> >>> updates today fixed my problems, will let yo uknow if I continue to
>>> have
>>> >>> problems.
>>> >>>
>>> >>> Thanks guys
>>> >>>
>>> >> Hi guys, I'm gonna install and test. Thanks if the problem is
>>> >> solved!.
>>> >>
>>> >> Juan
>>> >>
>>> >>
>>> >
>>> > I installed todays ubuntu karmic-netbook-remix-i386 iso and created
>>> > bootable USB memory. Installed into a lenovo s10 netbook.
>>> >
>>> > No detection of broadcom bcm4312 card.
>>> >
>>> I installed today, with yesterday's version of daily-live of Ubuntu, and
>>> the card wasn't detected. I tried, then, the app jockey-gtk that showed
>>> me two available drivers and this application crashed.
>>>
>>> It entered in a kind of loop, and freezed the machine. Then I killed the
>>> app with kill, and the system came back.
>>>
>>> Again: Ubuntu Jaunty detects perfectly the card. I don't know what gone
>>> wrong in the development/upgrade.
>>>
>>> In older versions of Karmic, I was able to install the card with certain
>>> kernel version ( no the default one ), however, I wasn't able to use
>>> properly because I wasn't able to connect to protected networks. I don't
>>> know if this is a driver or kde-nework-manage issue.
>>>
>>> I hope this get better. Might be the next stable version solves this. Or
>>> it's possible to use it after some tweaking.
>>>
>>> Thanks guys!.
>>>
>>> Juan
>>>
>>> --
>>> kubuntu-devel mailing list
>>> kubuntu-devel@lists.ubuntu.com
>>> Modify settings or unsubscribe at:
>>> https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-devel
>>>
>> -------------- next part --------------
>> An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
>> URL:
>> https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/kubuntu-devel/attachments/20091108/18f484e1/attachment-0001.htm
>>
>> ------------------------------
>>
>> Message: 5
>> Date: Sun, 8 Nov 2009 19:40:11 -0300
>> From: Juan <juan@rodriguezmonti.com.ar>
>> Subject: Re: wpa and broadcom card
>> To: Kubuntu Developer Discussion <kubuntu-devel@lists.ubuntu.com>
>> Message-ID:
>> <901f0c240911081440s6e975834va7f3b6702fb35a83@mail .gmail.com>
>> Content-Type: text/plain; charset=ISO-8859-1
>>
>> 2009/11/8 Jonathan Jesse <jjesse@gmail.com>:
>>> Good afternoon guys
>>>
>>> this has reared its head today again for me.? not able to connect to my
>>> wpa
>>> wireless.? Was working fine, but just stopped working today.
>>>
>>> keep on getting prompted for the password which ive verified is correct
>>
>> Hi, I had problems with Karmic 9.10 with the broadcom card, too.
>>
>> However, I discovered that If I use another kernel version, after
>> installing the broadcom driver, the card works. So, I connect to the
>> Internet with my wired connection, then I install the broadcom driver
>> with aptitude or apt-get, and finally I install a new kernel version.
>>
>> When I install the new kernel, the driver is activated. Then, I reboot
>> and the driver works. I'm using now 2.6.31-14-generi, might be you
>> install a new kernel, then install the driver for the default version
>> of the kernel of Karmic.
>>
>> I discovered another interesting thing: I was able to activate the
>> driver using jockey-kde from the live cd, and it works perfectly.
>> However after I install from the same live cd, I wasn't able to
>> activate it, and I got the same awful problem; I press activate in
>> jockey, and nothing happens.
>>
>> Finally, I discovered that the problem is not with the broadcom driver
>> itself, I'm using now wicd insted of network manager of kde 4 that is
>> still buggy.
>>
>> So, try a new kernel, try to use jockey-kde, try to go to
>> pool-restricted after install karmic and re-install the package from
>> broadcom, and finally install wicd. All that works.
>>
>> If you have any doubts, contact me.
>>
>> Juan
>>
>>
>>
>> ------------------------------
>>
>> Message: 6
>> Date: Sun, 08 Nov 2009 18:03:58 -0500
>> From: Scott Kitterman <ubuntu@kitterman.com>
>> Subject: Re: wpa and broadcom card
>> To: Kubuntu Developer Discussion <kubuntu-devel@lists.ubuntu.com>
>> Message-ID: <33968-SnapperMsgD8DB99B6C71CFEEF@[75.227.103.75]>
>> Content-Type: text/plain; charset=ISO-8859-1
>>
>> On Sun, 8 Nov 2009 19:40:11 -0300 Juan <juan@rodriguezmonti.com.ar>
>> wrote:
>>>2009/11/8 Jonathan Jesse <jjesse@gmail.com>:
>>>> Good afternoon guys
>>>>
>>>> this has reared its head today again for me.? not able to connect to my
>>>> wpa
>>>> wireless.? Was working fine, but just stopped working today.
>>>>
>>>> keep on getting prompted for the password which ive verified is correct
>>>
>>>Hi, I had problems with Karmic 9.10 with the broadcom card, too.
>>>
>>>However, I discovered that If I use another kernel version, after
>>>installing the broadcom driver, the card works. So, I connect to the
>>>Internet with my wired connection, then I install the broadcom driver
>>>with aptitude or apt-get, and finally I install a new kernel version.
>>>
>>>When I install the new kernel, the driver is activated. Then, I reboot
>>>and the driver works. I'm using now 2.6.31-14-generi, might be you
>>>install a new kernel, then install the driver for the default version
>>>of the kernel of Karmic.
>>>
>>>I discovered another interesting thing: I was able to activate the
>>>driver using jockey-kde from the live cd, and it works perfectly.
>>>However after I install from the same live cd, I wasn't able to
>>>activate it, and I got the same awful problem; I press activate in
>>>jockey, and nothing happens.
>>>
>>>Finally, I discovered that the problem is not with the broadcom driver
>>>itself, I'm using now wicd insted of network manager of kde 4 that is
>>>still buggy.
>>>
>>>So, try a new kernel, try to use jockey-kde, try to go to
>>>pool-restricted after install karmic and re-install the package from
>>>broadcom, and finally install wicd. All that works.
>>
>> There is an item in the release notes about Jockey failing when there is
>> no
>> local package cache. This is why it works in the live CD, but not after
>> install until you connect via wired and check for updates.
>>
>> There's been some discussion about Jockey and Nvidia problems with
>> different
>> kernel versions on ubtuntu-devel. I wonder if it affects wifi too?
>>
>> Scott K
>>
>>
>>
>> ------------------------------
>>
>> --
>> kubuntu-devel mailing list
>> kubuntu-devel@lists.ubuntu.com
>> Modify settings or unsubscribe at:
>> https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-devel
>>
>>
>> End of kubuntu-devel Digest, Vol 59, Issue 10
>> *********************************************
>>
>
>
> --
> John Mutch
>


--
John Mutch

--
kubuntu-devel mailing list
kubuntu-devel@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-devel
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 09:42 PM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org