Old 11-08-2009, 08:58 PM
Jonathan Jesse

Default wpa and broadcom card

Good afternoon guys

this has reared its head today again for me.* not able to connect to my wpa wireless.* Was working fine, but just stopped working today.

keep on getting prompted for the password which ive verified is correct

On Wed, Oct 21, 2009 at 6:27 PM, Juan Marcelo Rodrí*guez Monti <juan@rodriguezmonti.com.ar> wrote:

chuck adams escribió:

> On Mon, 2009-10-19 at 22:39 -0300, Juan wrote:

>> 2009/10/19 Jonathan Jesse <jjesse@gmail.com>:

>>> updates today fixed my problems, will let yo uknow if I continue to have

>>> problems.

>>> Thanks guys

>> Hi guys, I'm gonna install and test. Thanks if the problem is solved!.

>> Juan

> I installed todays ubuntu karmic-netbook-remix-i386 iso and created

> bootable USB memory. *Installed into a lenovo s10 netbook.

> No detection of broadcom bcm4312 card.

I installed today, with yesterday's version of daily-live of Ubuntu, and

the card wasn't detected. I tried, then, the app jockey-gtk that showed

me two available drivers and this application crashed.

It entered in a kind of loop, and freezed the machine. Then I killed the

app with kill, and the system came back.

Again: Ubuntu Jaunty detects perfectly the card. I don't know what gone

wrong in the development/upgrade.

In older versions of Karmic, I was able to install the card with certain

kernel version ( no the default one ), however, I wasn't able to use

properly because I wasn't able to connect to protected networks. I don't

know if this is a driver or kde-nework-manage issue.

I hope this get better. Might be the next stable version solves this. Or

it's possible to use it after some tweaking.

Thanks guys!.

Juan

Old 11-08-2009, 09:40 PM
Juan

2009/11/8 Jonathan Jesse <jjesse@gmail.com>:
> Good afternoon guys
>
> this has reared its head today again for me.* not able to connect to my wpa
> wireless.* Was working fine, but just stopped working today.
>
> keep on getting prompted for the password which ive verified is correct

Hi, I had problems with Karmic 9.10 with the broadcom card, too.

However, I discovered that If I use another kernel version, after
installing the broadcom driver, the card works. So, I connect to the
Internet with my wired connection, then I install the broadcom driver
with aptitude or apt-get, and finally I install a new kernel version.

When I install the new kernel, the driver is activated. Then, I reboot
and the driver works. I'm using now 2.6.31-14-generi, might be you
install a new kernel, then install the driver for the default version
of the kernel of Karmic.

I discovered another interesting thing: I was able to activate the
driver using jockey-kde from the live cd, and it works perfectly.
However after I install from the same live cd, I wasn't able to
activate it, and I got the same awful problem; I press activate in
jockey, and nothing happens.

Finally, I discovered that the problem is not with the broadcom driver
itself, I'm using now wicd insted of network manager of kde 4 that is
still buggy.

So, try a new kernel, try to use jockey-kde, try to go to
pool-restricted after install karmic and re-install the package from
broadcom, and finally install wicd. All that works.

If you have any doubts, contact me.

Juan

Old 11-08-2009, 10:03 PM
Scott Kitterman

On Sun, 8 Nov 2009 19:40:11 -0300 Juan <juan@rodriguezmonti.com.ar> wrote:
>2009/11/8 Jonathan Jesse <jjesse@gmail.com>:
>> Good afternoon guys
>>
>> this has reared its head today again for me.* not able to connect to my wpa
>> wireless.* Was working fine, but just stopped working today.
>>
>> keep on getting prompted for the password which ive verified is correct
>
>Hi, I had problems with Karmic 9.10 with the broadcom card, too.
>
>However, I discovered that If I use another kernel version, after
>installing the broadcom driver, the card works. So, I connect to the
>Internet with my wired connection, then I install the broadcom driver
>with aptitude or apt-get, and finally I install a new kernel version.
>
>When I install the new kernel, the driver is activated. Then, I reboot
>and the driver works. I'm using now 2.6.31-14-generi, might be you
>install a new kernel, then install the driver for the default version
>of the kernel of Karmic.
>
>I discovered another interesting thing: I was able to activate the
>driver using jockey-kde from the live cd, and it works perfectly.
>However after I install from the same live cd, I wasn't able to
>activate it, and I got the same awful problem; I press activate in
>jockey, and nothing happens.
>
>Finally, I discovered that the problem is not with the broadcom driver
>itself, I'm using now wicd insted of network manager of kde 4 that is
>still buggy.
>
>So, try a new kernel, try to use jockey-kde, try to go to
>pool-restricted after install karmic and re-install the package from
>broadcom, and finally install wicd. All that works.

There is an item in the release notes about Jockey failing when there is no local package cache. This is why it works in the live CD, but not after install until you connect via wired and check for updates.

There's been some discussion about Jockey and Nvidia problems with different kernel versions on ubtuntu-devel. I wonder if it affects wifi too?

Scott K

Old 11-09-2009, 01:49 AM
Juan

2009/11/8 Scott Kitterman <ubuntu@kitterman.com>:
> On Sun, 8 Nov 2009 19:40:11 -0300 Juan <juan@rodriguezmonti.com.ar> wrote:
>>2009/11/8 Jonathan Jesse <jjesse@gmail.com>:
>>> Good afternoon guys
>>>
>>> this has reared its head today again for me.* not able to connect to my wpa
>>> wireless.* Was working fine, but just stopped working today.
>>>
>>> keep on getting prompted for the password which ive verified is correct
>>
>>Hi, I had problems with Karmic 9.10 with the broadcom card, too.
>>
>>However, I discovered that If I use another kernel version, after
>>installing the broadcom driver, the card works. So, I connect to the
>>Internet with my wired connection, then I install the broadcom driver
>>with aptitude or apt-get, and finally I install a new kernel version.
>>
>>When I install the new kernel, the driver is activated. Then, I reboot
>>and the driver works. I'm using now 2.6.31-14-generi, might be you
>>install a new kernel, then install the driver for the default version
>>of the kernel of Karmic.
>>
>>I discovered another interesting thing: I was able to activate the
>>driver using jockey-kde from the live cd, and it works perfectly.
>>However after I install from the same live cd, I wasn't able to
>>activate it, and I got the same awful problem; I press activate in
>>jockey, and nothing happens.
>>
>>Finally, I discovered that the problem is not with the broadcom driver
>>itself, I'm using now wicd insted of network manager of kde 4 that is
>>still buggy.
>>
>>So, try a new kernel, try to use jockey-kde, try to go to
>>pool-restricted after install karmic and re-install the package from
>>broadcom, and finally install wicd. All that works.
>
> There is an item in the release notes about Jockey failing when there is no local package cache. *This is why it works in the live CD, but not after install until you connect via wired and check for updates.

I didn't know the why, thanks.

In the other hand, I don't know why the driver didn't work with the
kernel installed by default, and it works with other kernels. I need
to install a new kernel version, then the installed driver works, only
by installing and using a new kernel. With the new one, the module is
loaded and configured properly.
There's no way to plug the laptop ( in this case the hardware with
this card ) to a wired network, install the broadcom driver, and get
it working.

I need to install the driver, install a new kernel, then I get the
driver ready to work. I guess there's some bug with the module
install, or the module itself.

After that, when I get the driver to work, and everything work
flawlessly. I'm using the driver with Karmic, and works without any
bug or problems with the speed/corruptions while sending/receiving
data. Some buggy instances of the driver present in the development
alpha/beta/pre-releases are gone.

Another important point is that when I solved the problems with the
driver, I still had problems with the Kde Network Manager. So I * need
* to install wicd to be able to connect to
password-protected/encrypted wireless connections.

> There's been some discussion about Jockey and Nvidia problems with different kernel versions on ubtuntu-devel. *I wonder if it affects wifi too?

Jockey doesn't work with this card after installing. Also, it's buggy
in the development releases, and it showed the same issues when I
tried both jockey-gtk and the kubuntu's version.

I tried kubuntu in several daily-iso versions when it was alpha, beta,
and also I tried ubuntu and xubuntu, and I got the same problem. It's
interesting to say that Kubuntu 9.04 worked out of the box, perfectly
with the exact same hardware, and I didn't need to install the driver
nor install wicd.

Last; I read somewhere that after installing Kubuuntu Karmic, if I
re-install the package present in pool restricted, it works. However
I'm not sure.

Sorry for this long mail, however there's lots of data to comment and
inform, because I worked a lot with this issue in different hardware,
and I tried different things, and some worked and other not.

I'm able to give you guys all the information you might need, because
I'm following this bugs since Kubuntu/Ubuntu 9.04, and I found
different solutions depending of the release, the kernel and so on.

Juan

Old 12-22-2009, 12:53 AM
Jonathan Jesse

bumping this again... loaded Kubuntu 9.10 on my Dell Lattitude and only way to connect to my wireless at home is throough WICD, however with that program i'm having problems with connecting to hidden networks no <sigh>