Old 11-08-2009, 03:27 PM
John Mutch

Default Kubuntu problem

I am new to Linux and Kubuntu and am not sure who should receive this
information, so I will try here. I tried to install Kubuntu on a
Toshiba Satellite A45 2.6 GHZ, 2GB RAM, 160GB hard drive that also had
Windows XP and Windows 7 RC installed. There was about 10 GB hard
drive space available for Kubuntu. On rebooting after the Kubuntu
installation attempt an error message appeared vice the computer boot
:
Grub loading
error: No such partition
Grub rescue >

Had I known how to do it, the repair probably would have been easy.
It seems there needs to be three Kubuntu partitions, including a swap
file. I don't know the proper names for these partitions nor how to
set them up. Clear step by step procedures would be appreciated. It
seems the swap file should be about 500MB from what one of the web
sites said.

I have tried to fdisk the hard drive to remove everything and start
again, but the above error message appears every time the computer is
rebooted and I have been unable to remove the error message. It is
probably easy to do from Grub rescue if the required commands are
known.

I teach an introductory computer class and have started talking about
and showing a Linux OS to the class. Frequently at least one student
knows a lot about Linux and most are interested in learning more.

Any assistance on improving Kubuntu and explanation on how to restore
my computer will be appreciated.

John Mutch
john.mutch@gmail.com

Old 11-08-2009, 04:20 PM
"A. Tres Finocchiaro"

The installer should create the partitions for you.* The list could likely give you the partition steps for a fresh install, but I haven't done that in years as the installer does it just fine.

Is there a possibility that grub just has the partitions mixed up?* There's parameters you can pass to switch the mappings around, but they kind of get confusing.

I'd seriously recommend the Ubuntu live CD (not Kubuntu) and try to follow some boot sector tutorials from the "users" forums, probably including gparted.

You probably know this, but if you type the wrong command with fdisk, you can wipe out one of your windows drives.* I'd recommend getting a sanity check with gparted (or "Disk Partitioner, whatever it's called these days) and then trying to reinstall grub from the Live CD so that Windows 7 and XP are accessible.

FYI, I'm dualbooting Windows 7 beta and Ubuntu 9.10 final right now on a 64 bit box without any issues, but I used the Windows Installer from the Ubuntu site.

-Tres

- Tres.Finocchiaro@gmail.com