Old 11-07-2009, 11:56 PM
Andrea Canidio

Default Project timelord - Kubuntu in one sentence

I'm a Kubuntu user and I would like to share with you my thoughts about
project timelord, in particular about the need of a clear mission statement.

Ubuntu is "linux for human being". This short sentence summarizes many of the
project goals: ease to use, simple, intuitive. Hence, for example, the choice
of Gnome over KDE.

Can we come up with a similar sentence for Kubuntu? It seems to me that:
-Kde is more about choice and customization than Gnome. So, it seems more
natural to me for Kubuntu to target a more experienced user than than someone
switching to linux for the first time.
-If we really resolve the browser issue and the new Akonadi framework starts
bearing fruits, it will be possible to use 100% kde apps for 90% of the tasks.
This implies greater integration and consistency than Ubuntu (since it uses
Firefox and most people use Thunderbird instead than Evolution).

Therefore:
-with respect to other Distro, Kubuntu is easy to install: no need to mess
around for hardware recognition and so on.
-with respect to Ubuntu, Kubuntu offers more choice and at the same time more
consistency.

The natural audience for the project is someone that love to spend time
changing all the system settings until his desktop really look the way he
likes, but he hates having to waste time figuring out how to have a piece of
hardware recognized.

Finally, here is my proposition "Kubuntu: be you, be cool"
(well, this may not be exactly a piece of art, and, to be honest, I'm not even
a native english speaker, but you get the idea)

I posted the same comment on Kubuntu forums and there has been some
interesting discussion:
http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/index.php?topic=3107710.0

Thank you all for your hard work!
Cheers
Andrea

Old 11-08-2009, 12:09 AM
Dave Thacker

On Saturday 07 November 2009 18:56:50 Andrea Canidio wrote:
> I'm a Kubuntu user and I would like to share with you my thoughts about
> project timelord, in particular about the need of a clear mission
> statement.
>
> Ubuntu is "linux for human being". This short sentence summarizes many of
> the project goals: ease to use, simple, intuitive. Hence, for example, the
> choice of Gnome over KDE.
>
> Can we come up with a similar sentence for Kubuntu? It seems to me that:
> -Kde is more about choice and customization than Gnome. So, it seems more
> natural to me for Kubuntu to target a more experienced user than than
> someone switching to linux for the first time.
> -If we really resolve the browser issue and the new Akonadi framework
> starts bearing fruits, it will be possible to use 100% kde apps for 90% of
> the tasks. This implies greater integration and consistency than Ubuntu
> (since it uses Firefox and most people use Thunderbird instead than
> Evolution).
>
> Therefore:
> -with respect to other Distro, Kubuntu is easy to install: no need to mess
> around for hardware recognition and so on.
> -with respect to Ubuntu, Kubuntu offers more choice and at the same time
> more consistency.
>
> The natural audience for the project is someone that love to spend time
> changing all the system settings until his desktop really look the way he
> likes, but he hates having to waste time figuring out how to have a piece
> of hardware recognized.
>
> Finally, here is my proposition "Kubuntu: be you, be cool"
> (well, this may not be exactly a piece of art, and, to be honest, I'm not
> even a native english speaker, but you get the idea)

This KDE user likes it!

Dave Thacker
Ubuntu Nebraska LoCo Team

Old 11-08-2009, 07:38 AM
"A. Tres Finocchiaro"

I agree with Andrea's points that KDE users like a fancy, customizable interface without much hassle.

Here's my 2 cents.

KDE, the Kustomized Desktop Environment (think LG, Life Is Good)
KDE, All flare, no fuss.

KDE, The Ferrari of computing.
KDE, Cutting Edge Computing
KDE, Revolutionize the Desktop

-Tres

- Tres.Finocchiaro@gmail.com

--
- Tres.Finocchiaro@gmail.com

Old 11-08-2009, 03:37 PM
Andrea Canidio

Hi everybody,
thanks a lot for your feedback! I just wanted to make a clarification. I think
it is important to find the sentence that represents Kubuntu, but is is also
very important to do it with method. This would really help with the mission
statement. I organized the problem in 3 steps:

-what makes Kubuntu different than Ubuntu?
-what makes Kubuntu different that other KDE distro?

-What is the target-user? (given the answers to the two questions above,
someone that likely to enjoy Kubuntu more than Ubuntu and any other distro).

-how would you describe Kubuntu in one sentence? (thinking that your audience
is the person described above)

There are probably other ways to break it down, but this seems to me the
simplest. Any feedback on this would be greatly appreciated. Maybe at one
point it would be possible to launch a poll to see how the members of the
community answer these questions.
Cheers
Andrea

Old 12-10-2009, 11:10 PM
Nathan Bailey

My vote for kubuntu in one sentence:

"Kubuntu: The Power of Linux for the People"

This builds on the theme of ubuntu being linux for human beings, while emphasizing the power of the KDE desktop.

Best Regards,
Nathan Bailey