-   -   Kubuntu 9.10: Stable, Social and Beautiful (http://www.linux-archive.org/kubuntu-development/271283-kubuntu-9-10-stable-social-beautiful.html)

Jonathan Riddell 10-29-2009 02:37 PM

Kubuntu 9.10: Stable, Social and Beautiful

Kubuntu 9.10 has been released. For the first time this includes
Kubuntu Netbook Edition, a technical preview of the exciting Plasma
Netbook desktop. Other features include OpenOffice.org KDE 4
integration, several social network applications, a message indicator
and the latest KDE applications.

For the full announcement see
http://www.kubuntu.org/news/9.10-release

To download the CD images go to
http://www.kubuntu.org/getkubuntu/download

Kubuntu Netbook Edition is intended to be installed from a USB drive,
use USB Creator available in Kubuntu 9.10 (and for install in 9.04) to
copy the image to the USB driver.

Gene Heskett 10-29-2009 04:48 PM

On Thursday 29 October 2009, Jonathan Riddell wrote:
>Kubuntu 9.10 has been released. For the first time this includes
>Kubuntu Netbook Edition, a technical preview of the exciting Plasma
>Netbook desktop. Other features include OpenOffice.org KDE 4
>integration, several social network applications, a message indicator
>and the latest KDE applications.
>
>For the full announcement see
> http://www.kubuntu.org/news/9.10-release
>
>To download the CD images go to
> http://www.kubuntu.org/getkubuntu/download

I believe the word is 'slashdotted'

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)

I did it just to piss you off. :-P
-- Branden Robinson in a message to debian-devel

chuck adams 10-29-2009 07:41 PM

On Thu, 2009-10-29 at 15:37 +0000, Jonathan Riddell wrote:
> Kubuntu 9.10 has been released. For the first time this includes
> Kubuntu Netbook Edition, a technical preview of the exciting Plasma
> Netbook desktop. Other features include OpenOffice.org KDE 4
> integration, several social network applications, a message indicator
> and the latest KDE applications.
>
> For the full announcement see
> http://www.kubuntu.org/news/9.10-release
>
> To download the CD images go to
> http://www.kubuntu.org/getkubuntu/download
>
> Kubuntu Netbook Edition is intended to be installed from a USB drive,
> use USB Creator available in Kubuntu 9.10 (and for install in 9.04) to
> copy the image to the USB driver.

OK, I took the bait. Downloaded Kubuntu 9.10 netbook and using 9.04
USB Startup Disc Creator to a 4GB thumb drive.

Using a lenovo s10 ideapad netbook booted the system live and it
recognized the Broadcom BCM4312 wireless card. But could not
activate from the running live O/S.

Did a complete install.

1. The progress bar during the install process 'flickers' by flashing
on and off.

2. Upon completing the installation and rebooting, the Broadcom
wireless interface is not recognized.

3. If I go to Internet and attempt to start up Firefox, I get the
install widget. I click on install and it says Firefox is already
installed. I bring up a console window and type in firefox and
it displays the 'apt-get install firefox', since it doesn't really
seem to be installed.

Let me know what I'm doing wrong. It's gotta be a simple user
error on my part.

FYI

chuck

Scott Kitterman 10-29-2009 08:42 PM

Kubuntu 9.10: Stable, Social and Beautiful

On Thu, 29 Oct 2009 13:41:52 -0700 chuck adams <chuck.adams.k7qo@gmail.com>
wrote:
>On Thu, 2009-10-29 at 15:37 +0000, Jonathan Riddell wrote:
>> Kubuntu 9.10 has been released. For the first time this includes
>> Kubuntu Netbook Edition, a technical preview of the exciting Plasma
>> Netbook desktop. Other features include OpenOffice.org KDE 4
>> integration, several social network applications, a message indicator
>> and the latest KDE applications.
>>
>> For the full announcement see
>> http://www.kubuntu.org/news/9.10-release
>>
>> To download the CD images go to
>> http://www.kubuntu.org/getkubuntu/download
>>
>> Kubuntu Netbook Edition is intended to be installed from a USB drive,
>> use USB Creator available in Kubuntu 9.10 (and for install in 9.04) to
>> copy the image to the USB driver.
>>

>OK, I took the bait. Downloaded Kubuntu 9.10 netbook and using 9.04
>USB Startup Disc Creator to a 4GB thumb drive.
>
>Using a lenovo s10 ideapad netbook booted the system live and it
>recognized the Broadcom BCM4312 wireless card. But could not
>activate from the running live O/S.
>
>Did a complete install.
>
>1. The progress bar during the install process 'flickers' by flashing
>on and off.
>
>2. Upon completing the installation and rebooting, the Broadcom
>wireless interface is not recognized.
>
>3. If I go to Internet and attempt to start up Firefox, I get the
>install widget. I click on install and it says Firefox is already
>installed. I bring up a console window and type in firefox and
>it displays the 'apt-get install firefox', since it doesn't really
>seem to be installed.
>
>Let me know what I'm doing wrong. It's gotta be a simple user
>error on my part.

Plug into a wired network and check for updates using kpackagekit or
apt-get update. Then you'll have a local package cache and it should work.
See the Known Issues section of release notes about Jockey.

Scott K

Jerry Lapham 10-30-2009 02:44 AM

On Thursday 29 October 2009 11:37:43 am Jonathan Riddell wrote:

> Kubuntu 9.10 has been released. *For the first time this includes
> Kubuntu Netbook Edition, a technical preview of the exciting Plasma
> Netbook desktop. *Other features include OpenOffice.org KDE 4
> integration, several social network applications, a message indicator
> and the latest KDE applications.

Just downloaded the i386 desktop version and burned it to CD. It won't boot
all the way on either my laptop or my desktop. Error messages go away too
fast to read. The MD5 sum matches.
-Jerry

pkaplan1 10-30-2009 08:41 AM

Kubuntu 9.10: Stable, Social and Beautiful

Try reburning the iso at a lower speed?
Paul

On Thursday 29 October 2009 23:44 Jerry Lapham wrote:
> On Thursday 29 October 2009 11:37:43 am Jonathan Riddell wrote:
> > Kubuntu 9.10 has been released. For the first time this includes
> > Kubuntu Netbook Edition, a technical preview of the exciting Plasma
> > Netbook desktop. Other features include OpenOffice.org KDE 4
> > integration, several social network applications, a message indicator
> > and the latest KDE applications.
>
> Just downloaded the i386 desktop version and burned it to CD. It won't
> boot all the way on either my laptop or my desktop. Error messages go
> away too fast to read. The MD5 sum matches.
> -Jerry

10-30-2009 12:40 PM

Kubuntu 9.10: Stable, Social and Beautiful

Did you happen to use k3b to burn the ISO? I have never been able to burn an ISO that worked using k3b, even with matching MD5 hashes. And I looked online enough to know I not the only one with that problem. you might try burning with a different app in that case.

Regards,

On Thursday 29 October 2009 11:37:43 am Jonathan Riddell wrote:

> Kubuntu 9.10 has been released. *For the first time this includes
> Kubuntu Netbook Edition, a technical preview of the exciting Plasma
> Netbook desktop. *Other features include OpenOffice.org KDE 4
> integration, several social network applications, a message indicator
> and the latest KDE applications.

Just downloaded the i386 desktop version and burned it to CD. It won't boot
all the way on either my laptop or my desktop. Error messages go away too
fast to read. The MD5 sum matches.
-Jerry

Kevin B. O'Brien
nadreck@palain.com
Any industry that needs a federal bailout needs federal regulation.

Mark Greenwood 10-30-2009 01:33 PM

On Friday 30 Oct 2009 13:40:35 nadreck@palain.com wrote:
> Did you happen to use k3b to burn the ISO? I have never been able to burn an ISO that worked using k3b, even with matching MD5 hashes. And I looked online enough to know I not the only one with that problem. you might try burning with a different app in that case.
>
> Regards,
>
> On Thursday 29 October 2009 11:37:43 am Jonathan Riddell wrote:
>
> > Kubuntu 9.10 has been released. For the first time this includes
> > Kubuntu Netbook Edition, a technical preview of the exciting Plasma
> > Netbook desktop. Other features include OpenOffice.org KDE 4
> > integration, several social network applications, a message indicator
> > and the latest KDE applications.
>
> Just downloaded the i386 desktop version and burned it to CD. It won't boot
> all the way on either my laptop or my desktop. Error messages go away too
> fast to read. The MD5 sum matches.
> -Jerry

I've always found that with K3B I need to choose a slow burn speed, 8x is the highest I've ever got away with on my 56x drive..!. I use 4x and haven't burned a coaster in ages.

Mark

uriah heep 10-30-2009 05:44 PM

Kubuntu 9.10: Stable, Social and Beautiful

I've always found that with K3B I need to choose a slow burn speed, 8x is the highest I've ever got away with on my 56x drive..!. I use 4x and haven't burned a coaster in ages.

Mark

I have found image burn to be a very reliable program.* I was written for windows but installs and is fully functional under kubuntu.* it is free.

Uriah