Old 03-21-2009, 06:31 AM
Luka Renko

Default k3b for kde4 in kubuntu jaunty?

On Friday 20 March 2009 16:18:25 Vishal Rao wrote:
> Any chance of k3b-for-kde4 getting into jaunty before the release as
> part of kubuntu's move to eliminate kde3 deps?
> Or is it no point waiting for it since it might not be done by April?
> Or is it too late already with feature freeze past?
> See http://blog.mandriva.com/2009/03/19/mandriva-helps-porting-k3b-in-qt4/

Kubuntu developers (Tonio in particular) are looking closely on KDE4 version
of k3b. We would be more than happy to get rid of KDE3 completely for Jaunty.

Tonio has prepared test packages for KDE4 k3b and they are available in his
PPA:
https://launchpad.net/~tonio/+archive/ppa

He updates this packages regularly from KDE SVN, but we have received mixed
results when testing (works for some people, but not all functionality - for
example burning ISO images to DVD-RW was reported to not work for some
people).
We would appreciate any tester from the community that can spend some time on
this. We are interested in testing various functionality of k3b. Please test
and report both success as well as problems to kubuntu-devel@lists.ubuntu.com
or in #kubuntu-devel on IRC.

Regards,
Luka

Old 03-21-2009, 07:48 AM
Stefan Skotte

Luka Renko wrote:

[...]

I can take it for a spin later today, testing audio, dvd/cd, iso and so
on.

-

Old 03-21-2009, 09:15 AM
Vishal Rao

(resending since it bounced because i wasnt subscribed to
kubuntu-devel, apologies for the spam)

--
"Thou shalt not follow the null pointer for at its end madness and chaos lie."

Old 03-22-2009, 09:42 PM
Nils Kassube

Luka Renko wrote:
> Tonio has prepared test packages for KDE4 k3b and they are available
> in his PPA:
> https://launchpad.net/~tonio/+archive/ppa
>
> He updates this packages regularly from KDE SVN, but we have received
> mixed results when testing (works for some people, but not all
> functionality - for example burning ISO images to DVD-RW was reported
> to not work for some people).
> We would appreciate any tester from the community that can spend some
> time on this. We are interested in testing various functionality of
> k3b. Please test and report both success as well as problems to
> kubuntu-devel@lists.ubuntu.com or in #kubuntu-devel on IRC.

My DVD writer is a NEC DVD_RW ND-6750A, system is Jaunty i386. These are
my test results with the k3b version from the ppa
(1.0.5+kde4svn939866-0ubuntu1):

* New data project.

I added one file to the project and try to start burning to a non-empty
DVD+RW (with udf data on it). Error messages:

[x] can't open for write
(i) it may take some time to empty the cache
[x] :-( /dev/sr0:304 doesn't look like isofs!

where [x] is a white cross in a red square and (i) is a white "i" in a
blue circle. BTW: the first 2 lines are my translation from German.

This is the end of ~/.kde/share/apps/k3b/lastlog.log:

1 -sort /tmp/kde-nils/k3bKS4952.tmp -rational-rock -hide-list /tmp/kde-nils/k3bDj4952.tmp -joliet -joliet-long -hide-joliet-list /tmp/kde-nils/k3bse4952.tmp -no-cache-inodes -full-iso9660-filenames -iso-level
2 -path-list /tmp/kde-nils/k3buo4952.tmp
[mkisofs] Rock Ridge signatures found

[mkisofs] Rock Ridge signatures found
[mkisofs] 304
[K3b::IsoImager] mkisofs print size result: 304 (622592 bytes)
[Used versions] growisofs: 7.1
[Burned media] DVD+RW
[growisofs command:] /usr/bin/growisofs -C
16,304 -M /dev/sr0=/dev/fd/0 -use-the-force-luke=notray -use-the-force-luke=tty -use-the-force-luke=4gms -use-the-force-luke=tracksize:304 -speed=4 -use-the-force-luke=bufsize:32m
[growisofs] Executing 'builtin_dd if=/dev/fd/0 of=/dev/sr0 obs=32k
seek=19'
[growisofs] /dev/sr0: flushing cache
[growisofs] :-( /dev/sr0:304 doesn't look like isofs!

There seems to be a problem detecting the right multi session mode
because when I selected "no multisession" or "start multi session"
instead of "automatic" or the other modes I could burn the dvd OK.

However after burning the dvd, k3b died when it should have verified the
data (if I don't select verify k3b does stay alive). This is the end of
~/.kde/share/apps/k3b/lastlog.log after k3b died:

[cdrecord] Fixating time: 0.366s
[cdrecord] /usr/bin/wodim: fifo had 10 puts and 10 gets.
[cdrecord] /usr/bin/wodim: fifo was 0 times empty and 0 times full, min
fill was 100%.
[K3b:ataTrackReader] reading sectors 0 to 303 with sector size 2048.
Length: 304 sectors, 622592 bytes.

I couldn't find any other file with possible information about the
crash.

* Erase CD-RW: OK.

* Write ISO image to CD-RW:

After selecting the image file (xubuntu image) there is an error
message "md5-sum: calculation failed" (my translation).

Burning is OK without verify, k3b dies after burning OK when it should
verify the data (see above).

* New Audio CD (medium = CD-RW):

When the burning procedure is started, there are 2 wodim processes but
nothing happens (no I/O activity) even after 1/4 hour. Only if I select
to create an image, it works and the audio CD is burned OK.

Nils

Old 03-22-2009, 10:45 PM
Anthony Mercatante

Hi,

I've just pushed a major SVN update that seems to be fixing quite a lot of
issues.
I've just performed several isos burning (both cds and dvds) and everything
seems to work as expected on my side.

Feel free to report any test you've performed.

Tonio

Old 03-23-2009, 03:48 AM
Vishal Rao

On Mon, Mar 23, 2009 at 5:15 AM, Anthony Mercatante <tonio@ubuntu.com> wrote:
> I've just pushed a major SVN update that seems to be fixing quite a lot of
> issues.
> I've just performed several isos burning (both cds and dvds) and everything
> seems to work as expected on my side.
>
> Feel free to report any test you've performed.
>
> Tonio

Tested with k3b amd64 package 1.0.5+kde4svn942940-0ubuntu1 on
Jaunty amd64 current pre-beta with Samsung DVD+/-RW DL drive SH-S203D model.

1. Write data files to CDRW:
With default settings it waits at "searching for existing session".
Chose "no multisession" then it appeared to complete writing but
the disc shows up as blank. But this may be a general Jaunty issue
on my machine and not a k3b problem specifically.

2. Write gparted ISO to CDRW:
Burn worked with default settings and resulting disc booted fine on
KVM/virt-manager.

3. Write data files to DVDRW:
Erase again fails to work/detect that disc is not empty.
After completing burning a few files, the disc shows empty in Jaunty and
also in k3b! The label and files show fine when I insert into a machine
running Windows 7 so it looks like a Jaunty issue again on my machine.

4. Write gparted ISO to DVDRW:
gparted image writing completed but did not boot in KVM - read error 0x80.
Re-wrote the image, this time the disc shows blank in Jaunty/k3b and Win7.
Again re-wrote, this time able to manually mount the disc (automount did
not happen) and it shows in Win7 machine, but boot in KVM is very slow and
not normal - boots to grub minimal.

Update: Looks like my drive is failing, it is able to read CD/CDRWs and DVDs
but not DVDRWs, even ones which I'd written earlier and were working before.
The drive is about a year old with very little writing done on it, so I
hope it isn't caused by testing k3b! :-)

Old 03-23-2009, 12:38 PM
Nils Kassube

Anthony Mercatante wrote:
> I've just pushed a major SVN update that seems to be fixing quite a
> lot of issues.
> I've just performed several isos burning (both cds and dvds) and
> everything seems to work as expected on my side.
>
> Feel free to report any test you've performed.

My DVD writer is a NEC DVD_RW ND-6750A, system is Jaunty i386. These are
my test results with the new k3b version from the ppa
(1.0.5+kde4svn942940-0ubuntu1):

* New data project.

When I select "new data project" k3b dies immediately. No file
~/.kde/share/apps/k3b/lastlog.log is written.

* Erase CD-RW: OK.

* Write ISO image to CD-RW:

After selecting the image file (xubuntu image) there is an error
message "md5-sum: calculation failed" (my translation).

Burning is OK without verify. With verify there is an error message
which looks like a verify failure but the image is burned OK. The error
message is above the line with elapsed time and only says "error" (my
translation). Then the disk gets ejected.

Here are the last lines from ~/.kde/share/apps/k3b/lastlog.log:

[cdrecord] Fixating...
[cdrecord] Fixating time: 20.565s
[cdrecord] /usr/bin/wodim: fifo had 8988 puts and 8988 gets.
[cdrecord] /usr/bin/wodim: fifo was 0 times empty and 8779 times full,
min fill was 96%.
[cdrecord] BURN-Free was never needed.
[K3b:ataTrackReader] reading sectors 0 to 278607 with sector size
2048. Length: 278608 sectors, 570589184 bytes.
[K3b:ataTrackReader] using buffer size of 64 blocks.
[K3b:ataTrackReader] Error while writing to fd 23. Current sector is
0.
[K3b:ataTrackReader] Read a total of 64 sectors (131072 bytes)